Author Topic: Update on K's face - Jan asked for this!  (Read 13060 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Update on K's face - Jan asked for this!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 10:58:39 pm »
K -

the news just keeps getting better and better! 

Yea!!!!   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 01:14:04 pm »
Hello All!
I just put some pictures up on my blog of my face before & today...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 03:17:37 pm »
K:  The results are amazing ! !   Only 7 weeks out - it will continue to improve.    'YOU LOOK MARVELOUS ! ! !'

I know you didn't have the 'droop' like I did,  but you have the 'Mona Lisa' smile already.

I hope to see you in July.   I'll be having my platinum eye weight put in 6/12, between that & my PCP
continuing to regulate my thyroid (I am sooo tired all the time), I'm going to try to be at JH to meet you
with bells on ! !

Always good thoughts,   Nancy

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 03:29:12 pm »
K, it looks great! I was not expecting it to look that good, given the ordeal you have been describing lately. It is so much closer to symmetry now, the remaining difference just looks like "character." :)

On the blog you said something about weight, does that mean the eye weight? At our last local ANA meeting, Dr. Eric Steele of OHSU described a procedure where they place the eye weight further back on the lid. It looked good in the slides he had, although I don't know a lot about the subject.

Can't wait to see the bandage come off...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 03:32:32 pm »
Steve~
Yes, the eye weight.  I'm glad you said that -- I think it should maybe be positioned farther back.  The platinum one is supposed to be less noticable than the other, but I really think it MORE right now!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 09:02:03 pm »
Lovely picture, K  :)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 12:29:15 pm »
WOW!

I see a smile- on BOTH sides. Terrific!
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Daisy Head Mazy :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 09:18:39 pm »
Hey Daisy,

Do you remember any more about Dr. Steele's eye weight placement from the meeting? Such as the name of the other doctor he works with? All I remember is the comparison between the usual placement (near the edge) and the one they do at OHSU, far enough back that you don't really see it when the eye is open.

K sounds interested.  :)

Steve

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 09:46:04 pm »
Steve~
I would be VERY interested - I thought that the platinum was supposed to be LESS noticeable but I kind of think my gold one was less...again, that is the least of my worried right now!!!  LOL!!  I don't think the Dr. in Baltimore is going to LOVE it either - we'll see in July when I go to see him!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 03:12:15 pm »
Steve

This is the link to Dr. Steele
http://www.ohsu.edu/health/meet-our-staff/doctors/doctor.cfm?id=13700

Sorry I did not catch the name of his partner.

I too like the idea of the weight further back. I am still wearing the “blinkezeâ€? tape on weight (yes folks I had a regression do to the synkinesis however I do not always need to wear it) and I find it is better to stick my weight on further up the lid rather than close to the lashes. At night I move it closer to the lashes- but hey at night we can all put in eye goop.   :-\ It is the day time comfort we need.

I think that “ifâ€? I need to have the permanent one put in, as Kaybo has, I would want a surgeon who would do it as Dr. Steel advocates. “Further up the lid – away from the lashes.â€? I am still waiting to see how funky my facial movements are going to progress as this blinking action is intermittent (like a windshield wiper control or out-of-control). If I stick on my weight too close  the lashes I cannot wear mascara (not that you wear mascara Steve    :D ;D ;) LOL) as it scratches the eye- but further back I am ok.

It is all a matter of physics. If you put it further back however you may need a slightly heavier weight.

All a weighting game (ar ar  “waiting: game… get it…. Snort snort…  ;) :D ;D ::))

Cheers,

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:23 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Dr. Roger Dailey is the other doctor.

He has an article called "Gold weight implantation: a better way?" in Ophthalmic and Plastic Reconstructive Surgery, Jan 2005.
 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15167727

From the abstract: "We suggest that unwrapped intraorbital gold weight implantation provides adequate function, better cosmetic appearance, and lower morbidity than conventional implantation with wrapped or unwrapped pretarsal gold weights."

I know that whenever I have the choice between intraorbital and pretarsal, I always go for intraorbital.  :D

This is the Oculoplastics/Reconstructive page for Casey Eye Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University:
http://www.ohsu.edu/health/clinics-and-services/clinic.cfm?id=11534

Best wishes to any who may need this,

Steve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 02:05:56 pm »
K -

I just had a chance to check your blog and read your last entry.  It sounds like you are healing very nicely  ;D

Congratulations!  Keep up the good work!

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 07:52:24 pm »
Jan~
Thanks!  Looks like I will be wearing the white patch for a while longer, but I have definitely endured worse things...it makes for a good conversation starter!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 02:44:53 pm »
Hi Kay-

I just got to read your blog finally - the pictures look AMAZING!!!  I can't believe the difference already!  Wow! 

Debbi - using Kay as  role model for a beatiful smile...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 03:48:16 pm »
K:

I regret not having viewed your before-and-after photos sooner.  They are awesome - and inspirational. 

I pray for your continued success in this journey and that whatever problems that might occur will be quickly resolved as you reclaim facial normalcy. 

Well done!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.