Author Topic: Back from Symposium  (Read 13291 times)

MLB57

Re: Back from Symposium
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 08:42:37 pm »
Hi Katie!!! I'm wondering if this scenario was discussed: What is the best radiation treatment for prior surgical patients w/re-growth to protect already weakened facial nerve yet effectively stop the growth??? Wondered if anything like that was discussed...   (PS--so sorry I won't see you again in Aug for our brunch!!  Well, next time after that for sure I hope!!!   Regards, Mary from MA
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

Battyp

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2007, 11:04:58 pm »
MLB I don't recall anything specifically but can honestly say I think I missed that one. Was playing with the Baha test band.

NF your comment makes no sense to mark.

Flyersfan how come you did not identify yourself?  Geesh did you miss me in my pirate gear?  ;D

The last two symposiums have been in june and july...cheryl  r do you know if this a typcial time set?

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 03:57:23 am »
Capt Deb,

I've been on Topomax for six months and it has made a difference for me.  I take 50mg in the am and 50 mg before I go to bed.  They don't help a headache once you have it but they do help prevent them.  I have gone from five to six "trainwrecks" a week to one or two.  Tell your doctor to give you the information to get the meds free or reduced because you have used up your drug coverage.  McNeil is the manufacturer and the cost for 30 100mg is about $160.00.  My pharmacy gives me 60 50's for my copay of $50.  It is considered a tier 3 level drug.  I hope this help.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 06:19:55 am »
Hi Katie!!! I'm wondering if this scenario was discussed: What is the best radiation treatment for prior surgical patients w/re-growth to protect already weakened facial nerve yet effectively stop the growth??? Wondered if anything like that was discussed...   (PS--so sorry I won't see you again in Aug for our brunch!!  Well, next time after that for sure I hope!!!   Regards, Mary from MA

I don't remember regrowth really being addressed at all, which is unfortunate.  You should send email to ANA to propose that as a seminar topic in 2009 to help other patients.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Cheryl R

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007, 06:32:07 am »
There was a session on recurrent tumors on Sun which I was scheduled to go  but I changed my mind and went to the emotional impact of AN instead.       There might have been some info in that session.      I would have to look up which dr was doing that session.
    In regards to the question about past symposium dates.     The last 3 have been in June toward the last of the month.          I was at the last 2 and read about the 2001 one as I had that first fateful MRI on July 6th,2001!                                   Cheryl  R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 11:15:56 am »
katie,
  Many thanks for your symposium notes.  I wasn't able to go. 
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007, 03:04:11 pm »
MLB I don't recall anything specifically but can honestly say I think I missed that one. Was playing with the Baha test band.

So, battyprincess, what was your impression of the Baha test band?  I've yet to get an opportunity to try it.  Feedback, please . . .
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 05:44:14 pm »
Capt Deb,

I've been on Topomax for six months and it has made a difference for me.  I take 50mg in the am and 50 mg before I go to bed.  They don't help a headache once you have it but they do help prevent them.  I have gone from five to six "trainwrecks" a week to one or two.  Tell your doctor to give you the information to get the meds free or reduced because you have used up your drug coverage.  McNeil is the manufacturer and the cost for 30 100mg is about $160.00.  My pharmacy gives me 60 50's for my copay of $50.  It is considered a tier 3 level drug.  I hope this help.
Brendalu

Brendalu,
  I'm Curious to know how long it took you to get used to the topomax. My doc prescribed it to me for the brainwrecks and after 4-5 days I stopped cuz it was making me feel so strange.  I hear it has a good side effect of weight loss though.
Sorry I missed the symposium, would have loved to meet everyone.
patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Static

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 06:49:10 pm »
For what it's worth, I'm also on topomax and have been on it for about 9 months now and it really didn't take much for me to get used to at all.  I was started at a very low dose and gradually increased in small increments.  I currently take 150 mg 2x daily but still have an occasional major headache and small daily headaches, especially when I have a sinus infection or during a major weather change, but nothing like they were when I wasn't on it.   Unfortunately I didn't get the side effect of weight loss which I would have been quite happy with but am quite content with it just helping with the headaches as it was intended! 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 05:36:32 am »
Patty UT,
I felt strange for about a week (floating, not really with it).  After that I settled down and because the headaches weren't coming as quickly or as hard I kept on taking it.  I too did not have the much anticipated weight loss...........................
A friend takes it and lost 30 lbs the first six weeks.  I was very jealous. 
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

vcschaub

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2007, 12:02:58 pm »
Katie-

Thank you so much for sharing your notes. I was disappointed at having to cancel my plans at the last minute. Chicago is my husband's home town. I definitely plan to attend the symposium there in 2 years.

Thanks again, your notes were great!!

Viki
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

redgrl

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2007, 06:39:33 pm »
Im looking for more info on the trans ear. I didn't get to try the baha but i am not really sure if i want anymore hole in my head. Michele how do you like yours?
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2007, 07:36:40 pm »
regirl--type transear into the search feature and a few really good threads on it will come up.  There are a few forum members who've had good success with it and a few who couldn't manage it. I sold a big painting today (YEAH) so will put the $ in my Transear Cookie jar unless I can swap a painting for one--the inventor has his Audiologist practice and factory just over the mountain from me and I'm calling for an appointment soon!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

MLB57

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2007, 06:58:23 am »
Hi Cheryl and (my lovely daughter's name!!) and Katie--Thanks for the info--is there anyway I can get any info from discussion regarding re-growth?? I have growth (continued from residual left in 2001) and was all ready to have GK w/Dr Noren in RI (years of experience and  one of the nicest and best) but Mass Gen (Boston, MA) Chief Radiation Dr Loeffler advocates FSR (25 sessions as he said 50% chance GK would further harm my facial nerve) so now I'm scheduled for FSR to begin Sept 10...  At this point I guess it doens't matter but I'd still like more info... (Read all Dr L's articles on pubmed.gov but nowhere saw the 50% mentioned)... Dr Noren says no way...   Regards,  Mary from MA ???
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2007, 08:04:31 am »
Mary from MA -

Audio transcripts (Cd and mp3, I believe) of all of the sessions will be available soon.  They said it would take a few weeks to get through the production process.  Keep an eye out on the ANA website, or contact the ANA office in Atlanta.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)