Author Topic: Breast cancer and acoustic neuroma?  (Read 13339 times)

skittles888

Breast cancer and acoustic neuroma?
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:49:29 am »
My mom had an AN about 20 years ago and is doing well. She was in her early 30's.

She was recently diagnosed with a non-aggressive invasive breast cancer at 55 and again is doing very well.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had both an AN and cancer(any type) and if there is a possible relationship between the two. Has anyone had genetic testing done?

Also, does anyone have a family history of AN and cancer? For example, does anyone have an AN and a family history of early onset cancer?

I'm a little bit scared that she may have some genetic predisposition to tumors... or something. Just wondering if anyone has any info/advice.
Thanks!

It is what it is

Re: Breast cancer and acoustic neuroma?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:49:11 am »
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  This must be difficult for you.  She is fortunate to have a daughter who is interested in researching information.  Do you also have an AN?

I was treated last year for breast cancer and recently received the AN diagnosis.  After all the medical research i have read in the past week, I haven't seen any indication that they are related.  Was your mom's AN unilateral?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:06:53 am by karenforte »
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 10:13:38 am »
Hi,
sorry to hear about your Mother,, I hope she does well with fighting her breast cancer,, sounds like she has done well with AN recovery,,
Just to answer your questions,, I did have thyroid cancer in 2004 and AN removed in 2011; however, there was never any discussion of any relationship and I have not seen or read of any studies to indicate these are related to cancer.. again however, I am not a Doctor..
I have not had genetic testing either and no other known ANs in the family.. hope this helps relieve some of your concerns about your Mother..  best of luck to her.. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:20 pm »
Of all the people I've met through this Forum, I know of only 1 who was diagnosed with breast cancer after her AN.

Like, alabamajane, I'm not a doctor but I don't think there is any relationship between ANs and breast cancer.  I'm definitely no expert on the topic, but I'm unaware of any studies pointing in this direction.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »
I have heard of several people getting thyroid cancer after an AN but even that I cannot see any correlation between the two. It is just that things happen for whatever reason even the doctors cannot explain and the AN's are always benign I have yet to hear of one being cancerous. You have to see if there are any relatives in your family that had breast cancer that usually is genetic if a mom, sister have had it chances are a little higher but not necessarily in every family do they get it.  It is best to have a checkup even though you are still young seeing mom has it and I am sure she will be just fine. Certain cancers are genetic others are not but many people do get benign tumors throughout their bodies for reasons unknown.

Prayers are with all of you.

Best Wishes,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:47:23 pm by pjb »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

skittles888

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 04:02:00 pm »
Thanks for the responses!
Yes, she had a unilateral AN, but it grew quite quickly -- and extended into the inner ear... which I've heard is rare??

I haven't read any studies that implicate breast cancer and AN, but I read about a genetic mutation called Li Fraumeni Syndrome and apparently it is associated with brain tumors, breast cancer, and soft tissue sarcomas, at a younger age than average.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had a family history of cancer and then was diagnosed with an AN or they themselves had both an AN and cancer diagnosis. Like everyone is saying, I doubt it is related, but it just really got me thinking.

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:45:08 pm »
I had breast cancer (twice, at 42, then at 45) before AN diagnosis, but sure the AN was already there.  However, I've also never heard of any connection whatsoever to the two and I never even considered it - just figured it was my luck ;) 

I wish your mom the best!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

skittles888

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:46:09 am »
Yes, Cindy J that's exactly what my mom says too! I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through that. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well though!  Did anyone else in your family have breast cancer or any other type of cancer?

staypoz

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:34:56 am »
I was diagnosed with kidney cancer 6 months after I had my AN removed.  I asked if there was any relationship between the two and was told there wasn't, just the luck of the draw. 

staypoz

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 07:52:33 am »
I was diagnosed with kidney cancer 6 months after I had my AN removed.  I asked if there was any relationship between the two and was told there wasn't, just the luck of the draw. 

staypoz

Hi, I just wanted to send you my thoughts and prayers with your diagnosis of kidney cancer. Yes they say AN's and any other form of cancer are not related not sure if the professional field really do know as they do have different opinions of symptoms preop and post op effects from an AN?

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

It is what it is

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:56:15 am »
I'd like to add my good wishes and prayers for everyone on this list.  I would be interested in a survey of all of us with AN who have also had cancer.  K
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 07:12:59 pm »
Hi there!  So sorry about your moms diagnosis. I had the AN surgery, and 366 days later I had a mastectomy for breast cancer. I had terrific care and none of my medical docs (for my head and cancer) felt there was any connection.  I seem to like to grow things...odd cysts every now and then my whole life. I'm trying to switch to plants!!
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

skittles888

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:09 pm »
Thanks for all of the replies!! I'm so glad that everyone is doing well and thank you so much for the well wishes! I will pass them along to my mother.

I think that breast cancer in particular is just so common that it's not overly suprising that many people have both an AN and breast cancer. My mother's doctor's also said the two were not related. However, it does make you think.

Another quick question: for those who had both cancer and and AN, do you have a strong history of cancer in your family? My grandmother had pancreatic cancer in her 70's, but besides that, we don't have much. Just wondering if anyone does have a strong history?

It is what it is

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 12:38:52 pm »
Hi again,  :)

We don't have much of a history of cancer on either side of my family.  My father who is in his 80's has had non-melanoma skin cancers removed and I had one aunt with diagnosis of breast cancer in her mid 70's.  Otherwise, no other cancers in a large extended family.   

Warmly,

Karen

(breast cancer 2011)

peggy43

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »
Hi I have had a mastectomy for breast cancer in 2004 about a year later I had MRI for suspected AN which was clear but I am now waiting for another MRI  as my symptoms have come back and are worse. My family history puts me at high risk of breast cancer but as I say I do not yet know if my symptoms are due to an AN.
Peggy