Author Topic: Thyroid Surgery  (Read 13047 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Re: Thyroid Surgery
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 03:04:06 pm »
Hypo thyroid ism for about 12 years.  I am having trans lab in 2 weeks.  Anyone have weightless surgery 10 plus years ago too?  You never know until the facts all start adding up!  What are the common threads if any?  Always pondering.
Stephsf
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:20 pm »
Jane - keeping on top of the thyroid issue, have ANOTHER ultrasound scheduled first part of April.  Have had one fine needle aspiration but luckily they found nothing so hopefully it will stay the same.  I don't see an endocrinologist, my ENT who discovered the AN, is the one monitoring the thyroid.  So far three ultrasounds and one FNA and still have all my parts and pieces.  My internist regularly checks my TSH3 (?) level and so far that's right in the middle so guess my weight issues boil down to eating too much.   ;D

It would be interesting, if I ever had the time, to do research to see what if any correlations there are.  Like StephSF said, "What are the common threads if any?"

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

lrobie

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 11:57:38 am »
Hypothyroidism for 12 years for me too!
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Pattilouwho

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »
Was the Thyroid surgery a result of the AN ?  I have thyroid issues as well, have been taking 2 little brown pills for a long time, years. My AN  surgery is scheduled on 2/10/12 w/Dr. McKenna MGH - counting the days now - some days I'm fine and anxious to get it over with, others all I do is cry!! I suppose that's normal - I've been feeling some pulling on the left (AN) side of my neck - almost like I have a stiff neck, has anybody else experienced this?  Also, I've had a really bad cold, and a hard time getting over it, still have the sore throat/glands and the "ahems in the throat"...is this normal as well!!  Good luck to all of you who are scheduled before me, I'll see you on the other side - I hope !!

Patti
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »
I'm certainly not a doctor or scientist but I do know that thyroid dysfunction is very common (approximately 27 million Americans suffer with it - half are undiagnosed) especially in females (women are 5 times more likely to develop thyroid issues than men) and thyroid dysfunction (hypothyroid is diagnosed in 80% of thyroid dysfunction patients) can and often does lead to all sorts of medical issues, including diabetes, obesity, heart problems and depression.  It's a serious problem for many.  However, I'm skeptical of the theory that thyroid dysfunction is correlated with the development of an acoustic neuroma as I have not seen any scientific evidence of this.  Like the cell phone-AN correlation, I think it's an interesting possibility but needs far more research before we can start making any firm conclusions.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alabamajane

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 04:24:44 pm »
Patti,
My thyroid surgery was 4 yrs before diagnosis of AN so unrelated in that aspect although it is entirely possible I HAD the AN then and just did not know it yet. I developed cancer in a thyroid nodule I had so had to have thyroid removed..  I did start a thread a while back about parathyroid correlation wondering if anyone else had had a parathyroid adenoma removed.. the Mayo Clinic website lists this as a "possible" risk factor of AN and I had had that removed during thyroidectomy. all three "things" were coincidentally on the right side of my head/neck.. strange,, huh?? but as Jim says, I know of no other "studies" etc. concerning this issue,, just kinda strange occurrences..  best of luck with your surgery!  by the way, I did develop a sore throat/sinus issue  the week of my surgery and called my surgeon to make sure he did not want to put off surgery ( as I had totally psyched myself up to "get on with it")  and he did put me on an antibiotic for the few days before surgery. .. so if you don't get feeling better, you may just want to call and ask if meds are needed before surgery... again, good luck
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

lholl36233

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 05:50:31 pm »
I am home from yesterday's thyroid surgery.  The doctor could only remove the left side because it was so large.  I will find out 2/27 when he wants me back for the smaller right side.  I found out anesthesia makes me nauseous but felt much better when a nurse gave me a shot of morphine and nausea medicine.  Could have been worse with a less experienced surgeon.  Just tired with a sore throat.

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

alabamajane

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 11:53:20 am »
congrats Laura for coming through thyroid surgery so well.. any surgery sucks, but that one is not one of the most horrible.. hope you will continue to improve over these next few weeks and get back to yourself soon.. thanks for updating us.. so sorry you have to go through it again though.. take care Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

lholl36233

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 04:35:19 am »
Hi. I have to go back for the right side on 4/6.  The doctor did not give me the option to wait.  He is the boss.  Wish me luck.

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 08:07:33 am »
Good Luck Laura Keep us posted.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

alabamajane

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »
Good luck to you , Laura ,, I am sure you will do fine.. I hope you are feeling much better from first surgery already too.. we will be thinking of you.  thanks for keeping us in the loop,,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

Bonnie B.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 03:29:02 pm »
I had a growth and one of my parathyroid glands removed about seven years ago.  I am also hypothyroid.  It does seem like a growing number of people with an AN also have some type of thyroid or parathyroid problem.
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »
If I can remember  :D I'll ask my ENT next month when I go for my annual thyroid check up if he thinks there is any connection.

My guess is he'll say no but we'll see.   :)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 04:51:09 am »
Had a tumor on my thyroid removed in 1998 (left side only).  Thyroid functions fine now.  AN discovered in 2005, treated 2006.  Sister had tumors removed with most of parathyroid 2 wks ago.  No AN for her.  My parathyroid being checked in 2 wks due to issues noted on lab results.  Belief is due to genetics with osteoperosis (Mother) since my sister and I both have osteoperosis.  Will have to see.

Phyl

I had a growth and one of my parathyroid glands removed about seven years ago.  I am also hypothyroid.  It does seem like a growing number of people with an AN also have some type of thyroid or parathyroid problem.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lholl36233

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 02:15:54 pm »
Home from my second thyroid surgery.  Hopefully I won't need more surgery anytime soon but if I do, MEEI/MGh is the place to be.  Follow up is 4/19.  My 18 month MRI for my ear is 6/27.  I just love going there...   ;D