Author Topic: Anyone with radiation done more than 10 yrs ago?  (Read 5179 times)

phx

Anyone with radiation done more than 10 yrs ago?
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:12:49 pm »
How are you doing now? I've read lots of posts. I'm kind of depressed. I'm only 25. I really REALLY WANT things to be okay now. I had surgery with 30% removal and ck radiation. I also had a shunt put in my head because of hydrocepaelus. My original tumor was 4 x 3 x 3. Something to brighten up my day anyone? Thanks.

Lorbis

Re: Anyone with radiation done more than 10 yrs ago?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:27:35 pm »
I have a 1.5 tumor.  I'm currently in watch and wait and haven't yet made up my mind as to eventual treatment.  However, a friend had gamma knife done ten years ago and is doing quite well. He was sixty though when he had it done.  I believe it was about 1.5 cm.  He has slight balance issues now, but I believe everything else is just fine.  Hopefully this gives you inspiration!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:53:05 am »
There is a user here, Mark, who is now approx 11 yrs post radiation (Cyberknife)...... many MANY posts he has done here over the years, including this one regarding the efficacy of radiation on AN's:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=11352.msg131421#msg131421

As for me, I am 5-1/2 yrs post radiation so I'm not at the 10 yr mark you are requesting but I'm doing fine.

We keep in mind, that as with any medical treatment for any medical ailment (ie: cancer, tumors, etc), "individual results may vary" and I, personally, have found, that with positive attitude and by surrounding ourselves with caring folks (such as those here on the forums), we can forge forward as best as we can.  So, we're here for you and know we are cheering you on.

Hang tough. Yes, tough road but we are here to help!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

phx

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:12:12 pm »

Thank you.

Yes, it does give me inspiration. I try to stay positive most times, just that everyone once in a while, depression sets in.

phx

I have a 1.5 tumor.  I'm currently in watch and wait and haven't yet made up my mind as to eventual treatment.  However, a friend had gamma knife done ten years ago and is doing quite well. He was sixty though when he had it done.  I believe it was about 1.5 cm.  He has slight balance issues now, but I believe everything else is just fine.  Hopefully this gives you inspiration!

phx

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:16:43 pm »

Thank you for the link.

Thank you for sharing about yourself and for the positive words. Yes, individual results vary and good thoughts can go a long way.

phx

There is a user here, Mark, who is now approx 11 yrs post radiation (Cyberknife)...... many MANY posts he has done here over the years, including this one regarding the efficacy of radiation on AN's:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=11352.msg131421#msg131421

As for me, I am 5-1/2 yrs post radiation so I'm not at the 10 yr mark you are requesting but I'm doing fine.

We keep in mind, that as with any medical treatment for any medical ailment (ie: cancer, tumors, etc), "individual results may vary" and I, personally, have found, that with positive attitude and by surrounding ourselves with caring folks (such as those here on the forums), we can forge forward as best as we can.  So, we're here for you and know we are cheering you on.

Hang tough. Yes, tough road but we are here to help!
Phyl

Stuart1

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 06:18:31 pm »
I had stereotactic radiosurgery in 1991 for a 2 cm AN.  Earlier (1987) I had my tumor (4 cm then) surgically taken out.  However, it was either not completely removed or a new area grew.    Thus the gamma knife in '91.  Unfortunately, the tumor started growing again and in late 1993 I had it surgically removed again (size hadn't changed--still 2 cm) and my latest MRI--5+ years ago-- said I'm clean.

However, I have had severe problems with dental cavities.  2 Dentists have told me the radiation probably damaged my salivary glands.  Anyone else who has had radiosurgery have that problem?

A note:  I am not down on the gamma knife per se at all.  My experience was 20 years ago.  It was my choice to go ahead (wanted to avoid another 12 hours of conventional surgery) with it even though the radiosurgeon told me we were stretching a bit to succeed completely.

I would be curious to hear of the life post gamma knife of anyone who had it more than 15 years ago.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 04:58:37 am »
However, I have had severe problems with dental cavities.  2 Dentists have told me the radiation probably damaged my salivary glands.  Anyone else who has had radiosurgery have that problem?

Hi Stuart and welcome.

Yes, I have been told the same by my dentist. Have found that my salivary glands also working weird and not producing as well.  Was told that it could occur with any form of head radiation. Dentist requested I use dental rinses (ie: ACT) to help with the situation. Was told that due to them not working properly, I was more prone to plaque build up since the saliva couldn't produce and perform as they should.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

smarntuff

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »
FSR 11 years ago on very small 5mm AN by Dr. Lederman at Staten Island U. Hospital.  5 treatments of 4 Gy each.  11 years later AN is still there but is slightly smaller - FSR clearly stopped it cold.  Dr. Lederman is now at Radiosurgery New York in midtown Manhattan.

http://www.rsny.org/

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:43:05 pm »
phx ~

There is plenty of reason for optimism.  I underwent AN debulking surgery (including severing the tumor's blood supply) for a 4.5 cm AN in June, 2006.  The 9-hour operation was highly successful and I suffered no real complications.  Recovery was relatively swift, too.  90 days later, as planned,  I underwent 26 FSR sessions (total of 27Gy) to destroy the remaining tumor's DNA and ability to reproduce more cells.  I suffered no side effects from the radiation treatment.  Subsequent MRI scans in 2006, 2007 and 2008 indicated tumor necrosis and the beginnings of shrinkage.  Today, I'm doing great!  Only the slightest reminders of my AN experience remain and they have no real effect on my quality of life.  As I approach the 6th anniversary of my AN surgery, I feel confident that the tumor was vanquished and my life will continue to be good.  I wish the same for you.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.