Author Topic: Loss of hearing in the good ear  (Read 3371 times)

Raven

Loss of hearing in the good ear
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:57:25 am »
About every two months or so, the hearing in my good ear goes down to a level where normal sounds I'm used to are different and some word recognition is lost. This usually lasts for about 24 - 36 hours and then my right / good ear bounces back. My wife blames it on changes in the weather. Anybody here experience this?

For those who don't know, I had a AN removed from my left side but still have the one on the right ("good") side. I'm SSD on the left side.

John
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:17:31 am by Raven »
7/10/07 hearing gone in left ear overnight
7/25/07 diagnosed with bilateral acoustic neuromas - aka NF2
11/7/07 left side tumor removal via middle fossa - 12 hrs.
11/15/07 right side decompression via middle fossa - 8 hrs.
Dr. Eisenman - University of Maryland Medical Center

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Loss of hearing in the good ear
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:39:12 pm »
John ~

I don't have a valid explanation for your hearing loss but being SSD, you can't afford to take chances.  It could be weather-related but I wouldn't rely on that as a  'diagnosis'.  I suggest that you schedule a consultation with your Primary Care Physician to explore this sudden, intermittent hearing loss before it poses a serious threat to your ability to hear, at all.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »
I am not a doctor, but you might have Meinere's disease in that ear.  The symptoms you describe are exactly how meinere's acts.  One day you can hear fine, the next day can't hardly hear at all.  I have Meinere's in my left ear and AN on the right.  Let your doctor know, they can check it out.

Good Luck
TJ

Raven

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:27:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies Jim & TJ,

This has been going on ever since my surgeries, it is something I've gotten used to but I do want to find out what is going on. I might add that when this happens my inner ear almost feels like there is fluid in there. I can tap the side of my head with the heel of my hand and I can feel it. When my hearing is back to a normal level (for me anyway) it does not feel like fluid is in there.........Eustachian tube not draining fast enough?

I'm actually getting an MRI in a few weeks for a scheduled visit to my Dr. I will ask him about this as I'm a little concerned about it.

John
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:40:46 pm by Raven »

Raven

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:36:50 am »

I'm actually getting an MRI in a few weeks for a scheduled visit to my Dr. I will ask him about this as I'm a little concerned about it.

John

Update:
I did see my Dr. and he said the occasional change in hearing could be caused by swelling and steroids could take care of it if need be.

Now, to the good stuff, my MRI showed no growth of the remaining AN, so see ya in a year...........YEEEE HAAAA.........strangely enough there has been no growth in the 4 years since being diagnosed.

John
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:38:32 am by Raven »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »
John ~

Thanks for the update and congratulations on the good news!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Susan A

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:05:53 pm »

Update:
I did see my Dr. and he said the occasional change in hearing could be caused by swelling and steroids could take care of it if need be.

I've been told my 2 different docs that I might lose some hearing from time to time in my AN ear - and that I need to be aware of it happening because steroids might very well bring it right back if I get them soon enough.
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA

MinhVietNam

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:36 pm »
Hi everybody. I am VietNammese, I find my case in all your stories. I have AN in right ear and I had CK 2 years ago. One year later sine Ck my hearing almost recover so I feel very happy, but recently (five or four mouths ago) sometime I loss all hearing (I only can hear in right ear because my left ear hearing loss during the other surgery). I feel very upset because I can't find the source.

Lucky, I find this forum and read all your stories and comments. In my country, it's hard to find those information even I tried to meet my Dr many time.

Now I can calmed down a bit. But someone please tell me how to use Steroid to solve my problem because I can't hear good enough to work.

Thanks so much.