Author Topic: I just want to say something.......  (Read 2927 times)

Blowtorch

I just want to say something.......
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »
I recently found this site and shared my 10 yr AN surgery anniversary with you all. Since that time I have come back for many visits here and read many of your stories.

All I can say is I feel EXTREMELY FORTUNATE that my AN was found early when it was small (1.0 cm) and I was able to get rid of it succesfully (apparently....fingers still crossed!) with Gamma Knife Surgery and my post surgery complications have been minimal if almost non existant. I have not experienced any of the complications many of you have and my only real lasting issue is diminished hearing in my left ear and the dreaded tinnitus (which over time I have learned to ignore). Some of the stories I have read here of facial paralysis, balance issues, total hearing loss, dry eyes, etc. are harrowing to say the least. Like I said, I feel EXTREMELY FORTUNATE and I pray for every AN sufferer to get back to as normal a condition as possible.

Good Luck to all of you...........I am proof that this "thing" doesn't doesn't have to be a life changer. Maybe I was lucky, I dont know. But after 10 years it's not something I even think about anymore.

kenneth_k

Re: I just want to say something.......
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:42 am »
Hi Blowtorch.

Very encouraging. Thank you for posting.

Kenneth

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:33:03 am »
Blowtorch -

many of us are proof that this "thing" doesn't have to be a life changer.

Congratulations on reaching the 10 year anniversary milestone!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:51:07 am »
Blowtorch~
Thanks for your words!  Even some of us that didn't have so great of an outcome in "society's eyes" still have a great life!!  I have had to make some changes but overall, am very happy and active with the life I lead.  Would I wish this on anyone else?  Absolutely not!  Would I rather have a normal face?  YEP! BUT I am NOT going to let it stop me (it may slow me down every once in a while...) and am glad that I have the wonderful life, family and friends that I do...really, I am just happy to be here!  ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:44:11 am »
With the advent of better imaging capability, ANs are being discovered at an earlier stage and thus increasing the number of earlier treatments.  This is good.  However, we still have a ways to go educating patients and doctors to recognize the symptoms of an AN.  Because each of us had/has a somewhat unique set of symptoms and unique rate of growth, it still makes it difficult to diagnose and treat at an early stage.

While I had a good outcome on my first go-around, I am very aware that it may not stay that way this time with the regrowth.

Kay, you hit on something so important ..... whatever our result, it is how we accept and deal with it that is so important.  Yes, many have life-changing results, but a good life can follow, just not perhaps in the way we had originally planned.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:35 pm »
Hi, Blowtorch ~

Thanks for your post.  It reminds us, again, that an AN diagnosis isn't necessarily the end of the world and that many AN patients get through the experience relatively unscathed, as it were. As one who was blessed with very few complications following both surgery and radiation I can also attest that there is life after an acoustic neuroma, even when you're 'mature'.

Kay made a salient point that, no matter how one comes through the experience, physically, as with everything else in life, it's how we chose to deal with what we end up with that counts.  I state that with the understanding that post-op/radiation problems can sometimes be horrendous or just plain wearing on one's patience and ability to retain our equanimity.  I believe we all understand that, no matter what our personal experience may have been regarding AN surgery and/or radiation. That is why we 'veterans' remain active on these forums, in order to inform, encourage and support other AN patients who may be struggling.  Clarice also made a valid point that ANs are being discovered earlier and treatment has grown more sophisticated - and successful, as I can  testify.  However, the emotional/mental aspects have yet to be fully understood by the medical community, partly because the condition (AN) is still relatively rare.        

I would add that one must keep in mind that this is a support site for AN patients.  The forums are meant to not offer information and support but also serve a s place for AN patients to 'vent'.  We encourage that - but to the newcomer, reading post after post that seem to be centered on this or that problem, it can seem as if every AN patient suffers from some kind of medical issue.  That is not really the case.  Many AN patients that do well, post-treatment , simply 'move on' and don't feel a need to visit this website and the discussion forums once they are back to normal, as it were.   We understand that.  However, we also appreciate those, like you, that make the effort to return and share your good experience as an encouragement to other AN patients.  So, for that, I thank you - and hope the next 10 years are good ones for you, too.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:00:23 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.