Author Topic: Got my TransEar...I can hear you now!!!  (Read 28270 times)

matti

Got my TransEar...I can hear you now!!!
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:19:28 pm »
I was fitted with my TransEar last Thursday (Nov.30th) and at first I was quite disapointed. I am not sure what I thought would happen once the aid was placed in my ear and turned on, but I did not notice any difference or help with hearing. I was told that the brain needs time to adjust to the new signals it is receiving and to give it a few days. It has been 8 1/2 years since I lost my hearing nerve, so I vowed to be patient. Halfway through the day on Sunday, I was typing away and suddenly the sound of the typing took on a different tone. I plugged my good ear and could hear the typing sounds coming through. It was tin can sounding from a distance, but as time has passed, the quality is getting better.

I have put this TransEar through it's paces the last couple of days, with mall shopping, a trip to the dentist (could hear assistant talking while dentist was drilling) and the grocery store. I am beginning to figure out some directional sound, as the sound that comes through the bad side does have a different tone (tinny).  I also find that I am asking people to repeat themselves less and when my hubby is sitting on my bad side, I can hear him without having to turn my head. He does have to be sitting close. Today I was in the drive though at McDonalds and could hear the people behind me ordering, turned off the TransEar and could not make out what they were saying. I find myself turning it on and off quite frequently to make sure what and if I am hearing anything.

I tried to put the phone up to the TransEar, but heard nothing. My transEar does need to have the software reprogrammed because I have to keep it at it's highest volume setting #4 to be able to hear anything, #2 is the norm . Along with that high volume, I keep getting feedback which annoys eveyone around me. The aid does have two settings, one for noisy environments and the other for more quiet. I don't notice a difference in either.

I have never worn any type of hearing aid, but I find the TransEar very, very comfortable, I forget I have it in place most of the time. I do not feel it vibrate in the canal, but if I hold it in the palm of my hand, and speak into the microphone, it will vibrate. It does not increase or decrease my tinnitus.

So, all in all I am happy with it so far, as I had said it does need some readjusting, so looking forward getting that done this Thursday.

Will keep everyone updated and I want to give a very special THANK YOU to Boppie for helping me through this process :-* 

Hugs,
Cheryl

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:00:24 pm by matti »
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Derek

Re: Got my TransEar...I can hear you now!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 04:24:33 pm »
Hi Cheryl...

Congrats on your initial success with the TransEar...it bodes well for the future and it's always great to hear (no pun intended!) good news.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:31:18 pm »
 ;D

"Wow, Cheryl that is absolutely fabulous!"

I'm so happy for you!  It was interesting to hear about your story.  It is early so, I imagine things will get better and better for the hearing on your new Christmas ear!

That is a fabulous present to be able to hear.  I miss my hearing already and it has only been this year that is got bad and I lost my "presence." 

Things change over the years so, even more improvements may come along with hearing-aides. 

I'm thrilled to hear a happy story.

Take care Cheryl and enjoy,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 04:38:54 pm »
Cheryl,
  It's good to hear it is working out for you.  Keep us posted on how it goes as you get more used to using the Transear device.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:11:27 pm »
Cheryl:

Congratulations!  Regaining even some hearing on your former 'deaf side' - after over 8 years - must be a thrill.  What a Christmas present! 

TransEar sounds so great that I may consider it in the future.  Right now, I'm coping just fine but I may want better hearing down the road.

Is it covered (in whole or in part) by insurance?  Must it be prescribed by a surgeon or ENT? 

Inquiring minds want to know.  :)

Jim[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

matti

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:58:53 pm »
My TransEAR costs $2,700 and my insurance company covered $1,500. You can't believe how thrilled that made me!! I also have a 30 day, 100% money back guarantee. The total cost includes all audiologist appointments, readjustments (which will be a few) and a dry and store kit that sanitizes and dries out the aid everynight.

It does not have to be prescribed, but since TransEar is fairly new on the market, many audiologist do not carry it or even know about it. I was very fortunate that my audiologist did carry it and has fitted 3 patients with it. I will say that the TransEar VP, Rick Gilbert is wonderful to deal with and handles questions and problems very quickly.

Yes! I couldn't ask for a better Christmas present ;)

Cheryl
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:03:58 pm by matti »
Life is great at 50

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 06:10:11 pm »
HEY CHERYL!!!   YEA YOU   I know you can HEAR me!! ;D

So glad to HEAR the great news. you and Boppie are our guinie's on the trans ear.  Love HEARING about it, keep us inofrmed as you go. It SOUNDS like it's a good product for ue SSDer's  I want to look into getting one soon.
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 07:17:57 pm »
Wow your insurance paid for part of it? How did you work that one???
Can you take a picture of it and post it? Or email it to me and I'll post it.
What a great Christmas present. I got $6000 worth of teeth last Christmas--my lower bridge was dislodged by the tube during my surgery. Tried to get insurance for that one, but no go!!
Congrats and keep up the good work!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 08:04:55 pm »
Hi Matti,

Happy to hear that your TransEar is working out for you.  I finally found someone to sell me one, too.  My initially appointment will be on January 2.  How long after the initial appointment did it take until you got your TransEar?  I will look forward to reading more updates from you and Boppie.  If it weren't for this board I would not have even heard of TransEar.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

matti

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 09:08:43 pm »
Jeanlea - My TransEar took a little longer than normal at almost a month, due to a shipping mix-up and the fact that I ordered a brown processor (fits behind the ear) to match my hair. TransEar only carries a tan processor and has to order out for the brown. If I had ordered the tan it would have taken 2 weeks from ear impression to fitting.

I agree, if it weren't for this board I would not have heard of the TransEar either. Thank goodness the TransEarXpert paid us a visit.

Deb - Great idea! I will post a picture of it tomorrow. I really lucked out with my insurance company, they have a great hearing aid benefit, not so great in other areas, but I'm not complaining. Yes! this year's Christmas present also included a root canal and two crowns :) 

hugs,
Cheryl
Life is great at 50

mylump

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 12:08:15 am »
Hi all,  my first post here.
I'm following this thread with great interest, sure sounds like a great device. Sadly it won't be available on this side of the atlantic for another decade I guess (we're usually  ten years behind in this country) so it might mean another trip to the US for it, maybe. Well, had CK at Stanford, so why not a TransEar? Should be a piece of cake, just some logistics to figure out.
Anyway, keep us informed how you getting on with it Cheryl.

All the best, Lorenzo

PS: by the way, fantastic site you guys. Love the humour and great information too! Brilliant. Well done.

Boppie

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 02:42:41 am »
My TransEAr is five weeks old and I still love it!  I use it on every occasion when I leave the house or when I have the grandsons over to visit. 

By the way...I want to add that annoying sounds that wind makes against a hearing aid have been mentioned by some folks.  I have not yet noted any problems like this. 

Laura

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:15:20 am »
Cheryl - I'm glad to hear you are making the adjustments with your new found "hearing". Congrats!

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:57 am »
hey Cheryl.....

pssssst.... can you hear me now? ;)

YAY!!!!! Please let us know when they get the software kink fixed!  Congrats, congrats and now you'll be able to hear Beanie (Cosmo's cyber-babe) on the phone!

HUGGLES and CONGRATS!

xoxo
Phyl, Iain and Beanie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nannettesea

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 10:24:08 am »
Cheryl, this is all wonderful news!  Glad you have stuck with the trial and it's getting better, more so with new software.

This has helped us all consider our options....

hugs,
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05