Author Topic: Tumor regrowth - newbie to forum  (Read 2850 times)

kathycurran

Tumor regrowth - newbie to forum
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:39:53 am »
In 2009 I was diagnosed with a 3.5 centimeter tumor, after months of telling Dr.'s something was wrong and hearing how healthy I was.  I had a trans lab followed by 5 weeks of radiation.  I still have a few balance issues and a small amount of facial paralysis, as well as eye issues and deafness in the left ear.  I have worked diligently to get my life back to as normal as possible.  I had my annual MRI in December and it appears that the tumor may be regenerating.  I go back for a recheck in June to see if it is or if it was just swelling.  I am trying to be pro-active and determine what my options may be if it is growing.  Has anyone experienced this?  If so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am trying to remain, active physically, mentally and spiritually, but this has been a kick in the pants.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Tumor regrowth - newbie to forum
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:51:42 am »
Hi Kathy and welcome to this forum .....

So glad you posted your situation to get some feedback from others in similar situations.

Although I did not have the same situation you did, I did experience regrowth of my AN after my first surgery, which was retrosigmoid approach and no radiation following it.  In my case, radiation is not a good option for treatment because of exposure to high dose radiation in my early teen years.  Therefore, I had a second surgery in May, 2011 (via translab approach) 3 1/2 years after the original surgery.  As of my most recent MRI (November, 2012), a smidgen of something is still being watched.  I pray it does not grow again or I will be faced with yet another treatment decision.

I pray that your tumor is not growing.  Sometimes it can appear to grow/change when it is just a difference in MRI machines and/or different radiologists measuring.  The margin of error is 1-2mm so that needs to be factored in, as well.

Let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:33 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about a possible regrowth.  I'll hope you receive good news with your next MRI.  My 6 month MRI since having surgery is scheduled for the middle of February.  I'm also interested in reading the responses you receive from others.

Clarice, you are a wonderful person.  :)
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:55:35 am »
I had a regrowth, found 7 years post-op from translab, becuase I had already lost all possible the first time around I went on watch and wait for a few years and then had it removed surgically as was continuing to grow (it didn't have to come out yet but I wanted it out)
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

kathycurran

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 07:45:34 pm »
Thank you for the responses.  The thought of another surgery is upsetting to say the least.  I appreciate hearing that some of you have had a second surgery and came out the other side.  I will keep you updated when I know something more.  One Dr. said it could possibly be scar tissue, never have wanted scar tissue more.

ghenier27

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:52:27 pm »
I am just 3 years post surgery BUT, when the doctor went to removed my tumor. There was also a 2nd one already growing. He got them both and I have been blessed since then. I will tell you in the past, while waitting to see the doctor I have met some people those tumors have come back and they- like you had to have them surgically removed. And they all had good results. keep positive and I feel sure everything will be just fine.