Author Topic: sucessful surgery  (Read 6787 times)

blanc

sucessful surgery
« on: March 16, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »
Dear all,its the 15th of march  and 4days post operation.
my surgery went very well  although a bit of the tumor was lsft behind to preserve my facial nerve and i am happy with that.i had the retrosegoid subbocipal approah,its tha 15th of march  and 4days post operation.
my surgery went very well  although a bit of the tumor was lsft behind to preserve my facial nerve and i am happy with that.i had the retrosegoidraoch by dr chin lawrence z,d dr s jalisi. i thought they were great doctors. my hearingm was preserved on the left ear and my facial nerves working
I do however have throbing headaches which im hoping will go away with time. i was released frpm bmc this afternoon so im home again. i also have serious balance issues and kind of a bleury or double vision and my lsft eye feels weird.
thanks alot for your support and prayers and hope someday i can someday give some one the knindness i have recieved.
blandine

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: sucessful surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »
Blandine ~

Congratulations on your successful AN surgery!  I hope and will pray that whatever lingering deficits you're experiencing will quickly resolve.  Now, rest and recover.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:20:54 pm »
Blandine,

congrats on the surgery and the preservation of your facial nerve. Just keep an eye on the headaches. For some, they go away within a few months, for others they are there to stay. make sure you monitor them because the surgeons will tell you that its normal to have these headaches. Well, I'm not so sure about that apart from a few days after major surgery.

There are a number of threads on headaches to read here but don't put up with the headaches without trying to minimise the pain.

wishing you a quick and positive recovery

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:48:16 pm »
Blandine .....

Glad to hear your surgery is behind you and now to concentrate on complete recovery.  The first few days are always the worst, and hopefully the headaches will soon be a thing of the past.  Do not overdo ..... listen to your body.  Walk as much as you are safely able to, but be sure to rest in between times.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »
Blandine,

I'm glad to hear your surgery is over, successful, and you are back home. Take your time and heal well.

Best,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »
Dear Blandine,
Congratulations on a successful surgery and having your facial nerve and hearing in place!  That is not an easy thing and you are very lucky.  Now rest well and recover well.  Drink lots of water and practice your balance exercises.  Work with the doctors on your headaches.  I hope they go away for you.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:47:50 pm »
Blandine,

When I stood at Brigham Woman's last Friday, I took time to stare down the street towards BMC to send good wishes your way! It looks like those wishes have helped. Congrats on being a postie... and please take it easy! Thanks for checking in with us but now time to focus on your speedy recovery!  Get some rest!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:50 pm »
Blandine -

thanks for the update.

It sounds like you are well on the way to recovery.

Congrats on a successful outcome.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 01:20:16 pm »
Blandine -

So glad to read your post of a successful surgery.  Now, it's time to focus on recovery!  Take it one day, one step, at a time.  You've got lots of friends here cheering you on.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LisaP

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:15 pm »
Blandine,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

bmc, is that short for BayState Medical Center? Where did you have your surgery? ;D

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »
bmc, is that short for BayState Medical Center? Where did you have your surgery? ;D

I believe Boston Medical Center based on earlier thread:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11978.msg138011#msg138011. Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:02:10 am »
Blandine,
Congratulations! You made it! Still lots of work to do, but you survived brain surgery magnificently ;D.
And posting so soon.

Let us know how things continue at your leisurely pace. Do not rush the recovery. Go with the flow. Lots of rests, naps, rests, naps, walks, etc....
And watch the bending over (don't do it)- may increase the headaches.

Your symptoms should subside over time. Give it 6 weeks at least. I enjoyed soothing music on a CD or ipod to just float away with when I was recovering. I had massive headaches which did go away after 6 weeks. No headaches now. The balance will improve with just simply walking as much as you can, looking straight ahead if you can.

Continued easy recovery wishes going your way :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:13:30 pm »
Welcome to being a postie! Now get back to resting and relaxing and taking things slowly!
Michelle  ;D
Looking forward to your updates - sending healing vibes your way!
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

joebloggs

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:33 am »
Congratulations!  Take it easy now, don't try and do too much too soon - your body will thank you for relaxing!  Good luck with the headaches - I hope they go away for good soon.

xx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

blanc

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »
Thanks all for your wishes. Surgery was at the Boston medical Centre. I had my stiches removed yesterday and the headaches have greatly improved.