Author Topic: Surgery date (tentative)  (Read 2474 times)

alibauer

Surgery date (tentative)
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:04:25 am »
Hi All,

My peripheral nerve sheath tumor has so rare a placement (off of C5 and C6 but further from the spinal cord than most) that only 2 neurosurgeons in all of Manhattan specialize in excising the things. Neither takes my insurance carrier, though one has submitted his application. My doctor is that one. We have to get the insurance stuff figured out before we can commit. Considering it's so rare a disease and it's probably not the best idea to get just any neurosurgeon to do it, we're hopeful that it will be paid for just like an in network request. If not, we're hoping they'll consider my doctor's charges "reasonable and customary" so that I can use my out of network benefits and pay just $3,000. If neither of these things happens, it will be prohibitively expensive and probably impossible. I'll have to go out of stae or something.

Also, the women at my doctor's office have been telling me they are applying for the insurance approval for a week. I called the insurance company and found that there has been no contact between them >:( . What BS. This isn't a stressful enough time. I need the run around from them and to have this whole thing delayed and worrying me even longer? What is wrong with people? Anyway, they're just gonna know me as a pain in the neck then, cause I am folllowing up twice daily until I know it's done. It's infuriating that I have to do this.

Ali

luv2teachsped

Re: Surgery date (tentative)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 06:42:37 pm »
Hi Ali:  I can't believe your insurance!   You keep on your Dr.'s office because you're right, you DO NOT need the stress! Let us know how things are going! luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

alibauer

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:15:04 pm »
4 sure, teach!

As of today (AKA 6 business days after they said they'd start the process), no one had contacted my insurance company!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( !!

Emailed my doctor, who promptly responded that he'd take care of it first thing in the morning. I wish a head or two would roll. These are not people that should be dealing with people that are dealing with tumors. They have compounded my stress! I know better though. There is new hope that the process will begin tomorrow though!

Ali

rntiggergirl

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 09:43:40 am »
Why don't you do the surgery precert with your insurance company so they can contact your doctor for the information needed???
Cheryl