Author Topic: Eye finally closes  (Read 3727 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Eye finally closes
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »
One of the biggest issues I've had is my left eye not being able to close completely without closing the right. It's been especially an issue while surfing. I noticed last Monday that it wasn't irritated as usual after a session in the waves. I checked it out in my rear view and sure enough...completely closed. Not clenched tight yet but at least it gets shut on its own. Very cool!

Now if I could just get the tears to stop when I eat....but I think the synkinesis is here to stay....especially with spicy hot food (which I love)...feels like I have a faucet in my eye when I eat 5 chili Thai food.... ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:03:44 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

epodjn

Re: Eye finally closes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:33 pm »
Definitely a red letter day when you finally have eye closure. I'm getting closer and closer and every little bit makes my eye feel better. Maybe you could forward some of those tears to those of us who don't have any. I'm not sure which would be more frustrating. I love hot food too so I feel for you and would gladly take some of them off your hands.
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 06:52:17 am »
Well, Bob, not to be a party pooper, I mean, That's Great!  But . . . my eye closed at some point around two months out, and now I'm starting to have the opposite problem.  Can you believe it?  My AN eye is having trouble opening all the way.  Bummed.  My smile is regressing, too!  I've hesitated to post, blaming it on the exhaustion of being a full time caregiver, but it does seem my trigeminal nerve is taking a vacation.  Cheek is starting to feel fatter, etc.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 07:20:39 am »
That's great news, Bob!

K     ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:24:27 pm »
Bob ~

I'm pleased to read about your left eye finally being able to close independent of your right eye.  I hope the improvement is permanent.  You've been very patient.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:47:40 pm »
Thanks all.

Nancy..i've noticed that my smile may have gone too far on the left. Actually looks a bit like I'm smirking all the time. I've been doing some facial exercises in front of the mirror...trying to consciously loosen it. Seems to work. I'm not really concerened about it...sue thinks i'm still cute...good thing she needs new glasses... ;D. So long as my eye works for surfing all is good.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 03:05:15 pm »
Great news Bob.  I actually went body surfing the day after Thanksgiving - boy did it feel great, wobbling around & all in the surf.  My eye burned like the d***ens though b/c I didn't wear my goggles in the water - I'll know better next time.  I hadn't been in the ocean for 3 1/2 years - so this was so exciting for me !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy     .....  keep smiling....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis