Author Topic: Just diagnosed  (Read 3153 times)

canthear123

Just diagnosed
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:35:12 am »
I have had symptoms for years. Never really thought about it. Turned 50, and I'm on a "take care of myself" crusade. Had an MRI 3 weeks ago. They found a 4cm tumor that is pressing against my brain stem. I went and talked to a Dr that specializes in acoustic neuromas. He told me I can't go another 6 months. He is suppose to call me back after he consults with his neurosurgeon partner. He asked me if I knew how big of a deal this is. I said "I guess". After all, it is brain surgery. My symptoms are getting a lot worse. Dizziness, headaches, eyes twitching, facial numbness, extreme vertigo. So, after I have the surgery, I'll be better? I know that I won't get my hearing back on the left, but I'll still have the right. They aren't going to touch that tumor right now. It's only a 2. It's only been a week since I saw the Dr, so I'm a little anxious for him to call, but I don't want to face it either. I'm scared! My son had this happen to him too. It is genetic for us. He did ok. He lost his hearing, but he recovered well. I am using him as my inspiration. I've been reading all of the posts. It's very informative and supportive.

Pam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Just diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »
Don't let the posts here scare you - everyone has a different experience; all of us have different outcomes.

But the great news is that there IS life after an AN  :)

4 cms is definitely something that needs to be treated sooner rather than later. 

I'd give the doctor til the end of the week then call.  Just my opinion.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jet747

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:52 pm »
Had my surgeries May 19 & May 21.

Mine was >6cm and I'm fine with almost no post-op issues, full hearing remains in tact, no paralysis.

Find a surgeon you feel comfortable with; I went with my second opinion surgeon.

The waiting for surgery game was the worst part, the actual surgery wasn't so bad.

The first day of recovery isn't fun but after night 1 it got exponentially better.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

Every case is different, for me they removed +90% and will do gamma knife radiation on the remaining tumour in October.

You'll do great and you'll have a great outcome!
RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:28:44 am »
Hello and welcome to our little club here!  Sorry you had to be here, but there's a ton of support and information.  Like Jan says, everyone has a different outcome, so just go with the flow and get all the information you can.  At one point, it may seem like there's too much information.  Let us know how it goes!  Good luck and we are here for you if you need it!
Jay

PS: Jet--6cm and no issues after (AND kept hearing?) That's amazing!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston