Author Topic: Out of work timeframe ??  (Read 9881 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Out of work timeframe ??
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 04:26:21 pm »
Depends on the person, on their outcome, and the type of work they do.

I work a desk job (I'm an accountant) and I returned to work part-time (1/2 days) 2 1/2 weeks post op.

I returned to work full-time 4 weeks post op.

My biggest issues were fatigue (it's unbelievable post op) and SSD.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

maryh

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 11:58:22 pm »
My surgery was at the end of July.  I planned to be out for 4 weeks post-op.  I had a boatload of complications after surgery and was out for 4 months!  (August, September, October and November.) 

In December, I returned to work on a graduated schedule--my normal work schedule is 3 days per week (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday).  I started with 1/2 day in week 1 and week 2;  two half days week 3.

I am starting three half days per this week for the month of January (week 4 - week 8.)  In the beginning of February, I am supposed to go to three full days per week, but I am thinking I should add an interim step--say two full days and one-half day before I go full schedule.

I get very tired, my brain gets really tired, my face feels a bit heavy on the left side where the surgery was.  My body seems to do ok--though my balance gets worse when I am tired.  It feels good to be back at work and sometimes because of that, I start doing more outside of work than I really should because I do feel good.  So, I'm learning to stop myself and remind myself that I have to stay completly focused on working then resting---period and only doing things that are absolutely. 

My employer has been absolutely great about all of this--not only my lengthy absence but their willingness to work with me to make the transition back successful for all of us. 

Hope this specific information will help you. 
4 cm acoustic neuroma, surgery 7/2011 in Seattle, WA with Dr. Kyle Kim and Dr. David Mehlum. Hearing loss in left ear. Facial droop resolved.  Lots of post-surgery complications-csf leaks, bacterial meningitis, blood infection, peritonitis caused by infected lumbar shunt (which was removed)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »
Patti:

After my surgery, I was on medical leave for 2 months. I didn't feel I was ready to return to work, but I did just as scheduled. My first week back I worked 4-hr days. My second week I was back to my full-time schedule. I had to takes more breaks than usual due to dizzines/wonki-head & headaches.

It was difficult, but in fact getting back to that routine helped my recovery.

Luckily, I didn't have any complications that required I see my dr more than once, & that was to get my staples removed.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

JJ2011

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »
Thanks for asking that question Patti...

I'm scheduled for surgery with Mckenna/Barker on Feb 14th and I was wondering the same thing!

Good luck!

- Justin

Brewers7

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »
I had crazy complications, so I was totally out for 6 months and then part time for 6 months.  Very unusual. 
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

JAndrews

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »
I had no complications but the fatigue was intense. I couldn't work full time for about 4-5 months after surgery. Only due to the fatigue...I didn't have any pain issues
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.