Author Topic: Dry eye relief  (Read 11292 times)

wanderer

Re: Dry eye relief
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 09:11:14 am »
I  had totaly paralysis on the left side and was not able to blink.   It took about 2 months for it to go back to normal.   I was put on High dose steroids to reduce the swelling and they really helped.
(note I had full use of my face after surgery and started losing function the day after surgery)

Meska

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 03:03:22 pm »
I called my surgeon asking what I should do, and if I should have the gold weights put in even though its only been a  few weeks since my surgery.  His office made an apt to an optomitrist, and She was very pleased to be able to give me a weight that sticks to the outside of my eyelid which allows me to blink.  I still have to add drops some times,  as I dont make tears but it has certainly helped so I dont have my eye taped closed ALL the time.     

kristin

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 10:09:40 am »
Hi all! I am about 5 weeks post-op from my middle fossa AN removal. I have been having extremely dry eye on my AN side and finally today went to the eye doctor for it. He recommended putting plugs in the outlet ducts (not sure what they're called for real) so that the fluid going in my eye stays in my eye.

Let me tell you..I had this done about a half hour ago and already I can tell a difference! I haven't had to put eye drops in or rub my eye or anything yet..and I can FEEL that it has lubricant in it. Now my right eye is jealous and I might have the doctor put the plugs in that eye next week at my follow up!

He said this is very important because all the itchyness and scratchyness i was having was beginning to damage my cornea.

8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

dmcqdale@cox.net

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2005, 06:06:00 pm »
For those who are just starting, this advise about "Dry Eye". When I had my first surgery in 1990, I was not given (or maybe I just didn't hear) any warning about the consequences of Dry Eye.  As a result of the craniotomy, I lost significant sensation in the left side of my face, including the eye.  After a relatvely brief period, my vision became hazy in the eye. 

At first, after lubricating the eye with very heavy, thick ointment -- which made vision virtually impossible, the doctors tried a small gold weight in  the eyelid.  Next came the tarrasorphy ( stitching the upper and lower lid together). Then an eximer laser treatment to try to clear-up the vision. When that didn't work, it was back to the tarrsorphy.  Then to ointment and drops. 

Things got a little better after a papibral sping was inserted in the eye lid, to assist it in opening and closing.  By then, it was time to try to improve the clarity, which was very poor.  That's when I had the corneal transplant, followed by cataract surgery.  Today they say I have 20/60 vision, but it is still like looking through the bottom of a soda bottle. 

So listen up, when they warn  you about "Dry Eye".  ÂÂ