Author Topic: Vision Issue - Is this a side effect of AN surgery?  (Read 5599 times)

lrobie

Vision Issue - Is this a side effect of AN surgery?
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:27:55 am »
I was driving to work this morning and started having this shaky vision in my left eye, same side as AN.  It wasn't my full vision in that eye, but off to the left a little.  Anyone know what this is or whether it's related to having my AN removed?  It's making me nervous!

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Vision Issue - Is this a side effect of AN surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:04:05 pm »
Hi, Lisa ~

I'm not aware of this kind of vision problem occurring after AN surgery (double vision is the usual vision issue and that is generally temporary).  Should you have this kind of vision impediment (shaky vision) again, I would suggest scheduling a complete vision examination to find out if there is some underlying cause for the episode(s).  Please let us know what happens.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

KBL

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:20:44 pm »
Hi Lisa,
I have nystagmus, which sounds similar to what you are describing.  Mine developed right away with surgery.  It is not nearly what it was those first few weeks.  Now my vision is jittery or bouncy and double to my far left, the side of my tumor. As Jim said, I would consult with an eye doctor to see what is going on.  Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
Like Jim, the most common vision issue I know of related to AN surgery is double-vision; had it myself for a couple of days postop while I was still in the hospital.

Like Jim and Karen, I think you should see an eye doctor.

Good luck - and keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lrobie

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:29:52 am »
About 30 minutes after the shakiness stopped, I developed a headache.  I went to the opthamologist yesterday afternoon and he said the issue with my vision was part of a migraine headache.  It was only in my left eye.  He didn't see any nystagmus going on.  He asked me how I feel when I'm in grocery stores, riding in a car, etc.  I told him that it was an overwhelming feeling...hard to describe.  He suggested that I wait a few more months and if I don't see improvement with that, they can get me prism glasses to wear while I'm in those situations.  I will be looking into it if this feeling doesn't go away.  I need to do a search of that to see if anyone else has used those and their experiences.

Thanks for your responses.  I feel much better today!!   :)

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

spgreenfield

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
I ended up getting prisms put into my glasses very shortly after surgery and have had them ever since...they helped me a LOT with that feeling of my eyes being "pulled" constantly.  If you decide to try them, be sure to check prices at your local Sam's or Costco optical departments - their glasses prices are dirt cheap compared to private opticians!!!!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

lrobie

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 11:55:49 am »
I will have to check them out at the stores.  I didn't realize you could purchase prism glasses that way.

Thank you.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm

pmcollings

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 04:55:21 pm »
Hi Lisa,

I am having a bit of vision issues too.  I think it is common after AN surgery.  Also if you are applying eye drops, like I am, that seems to make it worse.  At least for me it does.   

Cheers ! 

Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
Translabsurgery  10/30/12. 
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis
Surgeons - Dr Craig Kemper and Dr. James Kemper. Austin, texas