Author Topic: Vision change  (Read 5153 times)

formula30

Vision change
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:05:02 pm »
I wear progressive lenses.........and got a new prescription at the end of May..........they found the tumor on June 16th..........I had gamma knife on September 21, 2010.  My vision seems to not be quite right...........when I lay down I have to close one eyes if watching television or trying to read or I can't see correctly (sort of like double vision but not exactly) if that makes sense.  I noticed last night while on the computer..........I had to close one eye to see correctly and I was sitting up........this is a first for me, and very annoying I will be seeing the neurosurgeon on January 12th......I will mention it to him, just wondering if anyone else seems to be having this issue.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Vision change
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:06:48 pm »
Formula -

I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing this vision problem is related to your GK.

When my neurotologist and I discussed GK he told me that side-effects might present themselves as long as 12-18 months after the procedure.

I ended up with double vision for 2 - 3 days post op so I'd imagine that this same type of problem is possible with radiation treatment as well as surgery.

My thought is that this issue will pass in time, but definitely mention it to your doc when you see him in January. 

Please keep us posted.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »
I did not have GK but I did have CK and after the last session I did have some trouble with double vision.  I guess as with everything I was lucky it only lasted a short while.

TJ

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:21:39 am »
Had CK in March, and developed vision problems in May.  At first, I had "stuff" floating in my vision.  Thought maybe I had a detached retina and went to opthalmologist, who said it was neurological.  Got referred to neurologist, and we decided I should switch blood pressure meds.  At the same time, I noticed subtle double vision, similar to what you describe. Over the next couple months, I developed more pressing symptoms with my balance, and I stopped worrying about my vision.  Gradually, I developed the "shaky camera" type vision related to nystagmus (abnormal eye movements).  This kind of problem is common in folks with significant balance issues.  My eyes cross much more easily than they used to, and are more difficult to uncross.   None of this vision stuff really causes me any functional problems, and I have bigger fish to fry as far as my health goes.  Docs say vision will clear up as balance improves.  I'm waiting to get glasses changed for another 6 months or so, and this time I'll go to a neuro-opthalmologist.  A neuro-opthalmologist, or folks at a vestibular clinic will maybe have the best answers about your problems.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »
I had surgery for my AN and my vision worsened soon after surgery. My cousin, who had a brain aneurysym 10 years ago and is a general surgeon, told me to wait at least 6-8 months before getting a new prescription. He said the swelling from the surgery would decrease within that time and then to have my eyes checked. I did end up with a Rx change, but nothing too much. I imagine the swelling after gamma/ck might have the same effect.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:39:28 am »
I had translab almost six years ago.  My prescription has changed every six to nine months since that time.  Fortunately, I don't get rid of the old glasses and every once in a while my vision reverts to one of the old pairs.  I also wear progessive lenses.  I have a friend who had brain surgery (not AN and is half my age) and has the same problem.  Both of our surgeons say the same thing, everyone has different experiences and sometimes messing with the brain causes problems with eyesight that can't be explained.  Good luck with yours
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

TP

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:04 am »
I wear progressive lenses. After my AN was removed I did have double vision and it never went away. I had to have double vision surgery 15 months after my AN was removed. It has been over 3 years since my double vision surgery and I find my vision jumps around all the time. If my eye is dry I can't see very well, some days it is very clear. I just got a new pair of glasses/prescription in December. I have been working long hours in my job and find that my vision lately has been worse. Therefore I believe for my situation I am going to live with this for many more years. Weather, stress, lack of sleep, diet seems to impact my vision and I just need to be mindful of getting rest and drinking more water and keeping my eyes lubricated often. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision