Author Topic: Crossover VS Transear- Hearing Aid Opinions  (Read 13633 times)

BrandyDWade

Crossover VS Transear- Hearing Aid Opinions
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:28 pm »
Hello!  I had my surgery on April 6, 2011.  I have no hearing in my left ear. I am curious about the different types of hearing aids out there, but I have no idea where to begin.  I am not currently considering BAHA as I can not afford another surgery right now.  So can anyone answers these questions about crossovers and transear hearing aids?

How much do they usually cost?  (Our insurance will not cover hearing aids.)

Are they available at any hearing aid center? 

How do you know find a good hearing aid sales center?

I appreciate all input!

Thanks!
Brandy

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Re: Crossover VS Transear- Hearing Aid Opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:10:07 pm »
First thing the BAHA is not a hearing aid. It is a Ossiointegrated Prosthetic Implant with Removable Sound Processor Attachment.

Do a little reasearch on your insurance companys website and you should find the requirements for the BAHA. I did this and gave a copy to my audiologist so she knew how to write the request. Our insurance picked up 100% because I satisified all my deductables. Also Cochlear has a group that works with you and insurance companies.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:39:00 pm »
Do you have insurance?  Most insurances will NOT cover hearing aids (which are not cheap) but will cover a BAHA - IF you hound them!

Good luck!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »
My insurance (BC) would not cover BAHA or Transear.  I opted for Transear and it was about $2700.00.  I did not check into CROS, but I think they are less expensive.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 02:39:02 am »
Another point here is that a regular hearing aid will not benefit you due to your SSD.  You do need to look at the transear or the sound bite or some other device that is more than your typical hearing aid.  A hearing aid will only amplify the sound for you, but that means the background noise is loud and you still can't hear the person next to you.  There are definitely options out there.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

JAndrews

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »
My transear HA was around 2500.00. It did nothing..tried it for 4 months.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Debbie Z

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 08:24:37 pm »
I had my surgery in 1983.  There was nothing available, and I was suddenly not able to function in any noisy environment.  In 2006 I got a Trans Ear device and basically got my life back.  I recommend it.