Author Topic: Private Nurse/Health Care Aide  (Read 3376 times)

Guru

Private Nurse/Health Care Aide
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:02:31 am »
I am planning to have surgery at HEI later this month. Because I live out of state, however, I'm told that I should bring someone to look after me during my recovery in L.A.  Unfortunately, none of my friends or family are able to come.  So I'm looking into the possibility of hiring a nurse or health care aide to be with me for the week or so between when I'm discharged from the hospital and when I fly home.  I wondered whether anyone had any experience with this sort of thing.  If so, I would be grateful for any information or advice.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Private Nurse/Health Care Aide
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:00:44 am »
I had my surgery at HEI in May.  My husband was with me and we stayed in Seton Hall Guest Center.  It was perfect for us.

That being said, I do not know anyone personally who has been there without a friend or family member.  My recommendation would be to contact either the House Clinic directly or the Social Services Office at St. Vincent's Hospital for their suggestions.

If you have an uncomplicated surgery and recovery, you really do not need someone to be with you constantly.  They just want you to remain in the area for 10 days following surgery in case of any problems.  Personally, I would not want to be there alone ...... just another added major stressor.  Remember, you may have severe balance issues for several days and may have double vision.  You will not be able to bend over or lift anything heavy for a month, etc.  You will not be allowed to drive for at least two weeks.

Hopefully social services will be able to assist you ..... surely they have had other patients in your situation.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:27:36 am »
Hi, Guru,

I agree with Clarice's comments. I, too, had surgery at House (about 3 1/2 years ago) and stayed at Seton Hall with my husband for the two weeks or so that we were in Los Angeles.  I had no complications whatsoever from my surgery ... but I absolutely cannot imagine being out there without an advocate companion.

The only individual I know who was unaccompanied during her acoustic neuroma sojourn at House was a resident of Los Angeles; she drove herself to the hospital, left her car in the House parking garage, spent a couple of nights (before and after surgery) at Seton, and had a friend drive her (in the patient's car) home a day or two later. She managed okay, but I know she would have preferred having someone around. I'll add that her surgeon called the patient's elderly mother (who lived in Texas) immediately after the surgery and a couple of more times as well to provide updates.

When I made my arrangements for surgery I was assigned a registered nurse from House as one of my contacts -- someone whom I could email or phone with any questions, etc. prior to my arrival in California. I'm hoping that this practice is still being followed, and if so I would definitely get in touch with that person. I think it would also be a great idea to have someone accompany you to LAX when you leave House to return home. As I mentioned above, I was feeling just fine (only issue was post-surgery fatigue), but the thought of dealing with luggage and all the other aspects of checking in at the airport all by myself that morning would have been pretty daunting. (As an aside, you might want to consider upgrading to first class for your return flight -- the first class security check-in line at LAX was non-existent and we got through that and to the departure gate in a flash.)

Best wishes for a successful surgery and excellent recovery!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:21:44 pm »
Guru;

This really tells me the truth about friends or family. It's not that they are unable to accompany you, but WON'T accompany you! I'm upset, as am used to this sort of thing from my family, etc. It's brain surgery for crying out loud!
  Yes; It does sound as though you will need an advocate, but, it seems not necessarily professional. One just cannot predict outcomes.
  I do so hope something can be arranged either with HEI ( as a nursing student, etc. ), or at home.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 01:14:31 pm »
Guru -

I'm sure there are many valid reasons why your family and friends aren't able to accompany you to LA - and that doesn't mean they love you any less.

Not everyone can financially afford to travel to LA for surgery, so I can understand perfectly how it might be a problem for your family and friends to go with you to lend moral support; as much as I'm sure they would like to.

I'm confident that they wish they could be there and that they will be with you in spirit.

Good luck with your surgery,

Jan
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:17:58 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways