Author Topic: Back from surgery of December 15, Boppie  (Read 3496 times)

Boppie

Back from surgery of December 15, Boppie
« on: December 19, 2005, 09:00:01 pm »
Here's my celebration!  I've never had one like this one...The doctor let me out at noon today, a day earlier than we planned.  The surgery went very well.  Thanks to my the surgeons   I had one bad day in ICU recovering from the 9 hours of time under anesthesia.  Thanks to my loving family support and you my friends I came through with courage and a renewed respect about what is and is not important in life.  I have some balance issues to work out in the following weeks, but I have been given the permission to take care of myself, and function as normally as I can manage.   I am walking around in my house, moving about outdoors under Bill's watchful eye, and I had dinner at our favorite Mexican Restaurant tonight for some real food.  I get to take lots of naps, walks, and smile for the next several weeks.

Thanks for your prayers and wishes, I felt all of it!

About that first shower, leave a shower chair in the tab/stall ready for your return.   Put a rubber mat on the floor.   Warm the water before you enter.  Turn the water off momentarily.  Sit down in the chair, then turn on the spray.  See? no surprises!   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:51:47 am by Boppie »

Battyp

Re: Back from surgery December 15, Boppie
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 06:16:08 am »
Boppie,
  I've been thinking about you while I was out of town.  I'm so glad to see your post!

Merry Christmas and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Michelle

FlyersFan68

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:38:29 am »
Congratulations on a good recovery thus far. You will be amazed how much better you'll get as the weeks pass. I had a small tumor removed a while back with no permanant problems other than complete hearing loss. I lost quite a bit of hearing before surgery and couldn't hear much clearly. It was sort of like hearing your favorite song on the radio but the voices were so muffled and the static was so bad that you just turn it off or change the station. Not even dry eye. I don't post much these days because sometimes I feel that maybe I'm an exception or something and don't want to come off bragging (don't wanna jinx anything either).  I agree, surgery sure wasn't easy but not everyone has a bad experience. I am just as active as ever playing sports, raising kids and working two jobs! It seems like you were in good hands too.  Good Luck To You Boppie & Happy Holidays To All!

kimmy

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 11:58:23 am »
Congratulations Boppie. You've done really well. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and that we all have a happier  and healthier New Year.
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

David707

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:22:51 pm »
Boppie,

What a surprise to hear from you so soon!!!  Congradulation.  It sounds so wonderful.  Just want to say I am so happy for you.  Expect to hear more from you.  But we are patient, take your time to recover.

Merry X'Mas and Happy Holidays to you and your family  !!
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

shoegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 01:23:46 pm »
Boppie,

So glad to hear you are home and doing well.  Take it slow, be good to yourself, and have a wonderul holiday season!

Keep us posted when you can -

Best Wishes, Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

luv2teachsped

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 01:42:37 pm »
Boppie:
   WOW!  I am impressed that you're doing so well!   I truely believe a positive attitude helps more than anything.  You'vre been in my thoughts and prayers.  Glad things are going well.  Merry Christmas!! God is Good! :Dluv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 03:48:24 pm »
Well done Boppie.

I found the first 24 hours post surgery in the ICU the worst time. Nausea and drowsiness were horrible. Following ICU it was all positive from there. Just remember to not try and do too much too soon.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

cookiesecond

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 02:34:48 am »
Boppie,
You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I praise God for your progress.Take it easy and Have a Merry Christmas!
Lynn

Boppie

9 days past surgery of December 15, Boppie
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 05:45:22 pm »
Please remember that every AN is different, and every recovery is speciail.  My non AN friends and visitors are surprised at the amount of moving about that I can manage.  They tell me I look great!   ;D  This helps me keep reasonable expectations.

It is hard to believe I am 9 days past surgery.  My appetite returned slowly and I was not a very good eater in the hospital.  But once I came home, my family made many small tasty meals to get going.  What a treat each meal has been! 

I was finished with the Decadron by discharge time.  For the first two days home I slept four hours, ate and took meds, and then slept four more.  I came home with a perscription for Vicodin and that worked well every four, or five hours until day 8, then I wanted off the Vicodin.  Then took (1) Tylendol II every five or six hours.  I feel much more myself today after being on the Tylenol.  I was greatful for the Vicodin when I needed it.  I expect that Tylenol once or twice a day will be all I'll need.  I noticed from the beginning that pain means - rest is due.

My first few walks outdoors looked rather like Gilda Radner in ballet poses, all splay footed and jerky.  I never fell nor bumped into anything though.  My daily walking outdoors has improved a lot these past two days.  The horizonol head and eye moves are relativly easy and dizziness free.  I can wag my head fairly well,too.  In the hospital the facial muscles worked consistently well.  I have some laziness on my rt. upper lip, tongue, and eyebrow (this developed slowly after I came home).  But I am sure this is transitory. 

I've enjoyed my birthday party with two five year old twins.  What fun they had!  Tomorrow morning I will get a JPEG of my 11 day Translab scar.  So if you need a picture, send me a personal and I'll shoot one back at you.

No complaints, life is so wonderful.  And Christmas weather is great down here in South Texas. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 09:19:36 pm by Boppie »