Author Topic: Newbie with Transear Questions  (Read 1677 times)

Jesse88

Newbie with Transear Questions
« on: April 13, 2008, 04:35:15 pm »
Hello!  I have SSD but not from AN.  I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions here.  I found this forum through the Transear site, though they say they have no connection with this board.  I've been deaf in my left ear (a virus?) for several years and a new audiologist just recommended the Transear.  There seem to be many people here who like it and a few who don't.  I have written to the company but have had no response to my question about tinnitus.  I have the reactive type, which means the louder my environment, the louder the tinnitus.  In a noisy room I can barely hear enough from my good ear to be able to distinguish sound over the roaring noise in my head.  I'm a little concerned that they haven't answered my question and have written to them again.  In the meantime, have you been satisifed overall with your Transear experience as far as dealing with the company overall?  Do any of you have tinnitus also and how does the Transear work with that problem?  Any other information/advice you can give me would be so much appreciated. 

Since I now have a small amount of tinnitus in my good ear and some hearing loss, I think I'm ready to try something to bring some sound around on my left side.  It would be so nice to just sit anywhere and not ask people to stay to my right so I can hear them.  And that's only the beginning of the SSD issues, as I'm sure you all know.  Thank you so much for any help you can provide. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Newbie with Transear Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:10:26 pm »
Hi Jesse,

I believe Rick from Transear is a frequent user on this website and has participated in many discussions regarding Transear with many AN patients on this site. We have a "Hearing' forum that I found a few Transear threads:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?board=17.20

Hoping this helps.

Welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Boppie

Re: Newbie with Transear Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:47:04 pm »
Jesse, I am one of several satisfied TransEar users.  Sadly, I can't say tinnitus is influenced one way or the other with a hearing aid.  But TransEar and a few other aids that folks with SSD use can achieve the all important ability to take in the sound and speaking on your deaf side and know what the sound is.  It is great to not have to look around every single time to catch up with the speaker.  You can walk along with someone speaking on your deaf side and know what he is saying without having to look at him.  You can shop with someone and have a conversation on both sides of you.    You can hear people at the dinner table.  As for tinnitus, mine is significant when I acknowledge it.  When I have my TransEar in I can forget the tinnitus.  My brain has real sound and words to process so I can ignore the tinnitus.  TransEar Company is very easy to work with.  But tinnitus is not cured by their aid nor by any other aid at this time. 

What a great day it would be to hear there is a device to get rid of it for us.

If you want to email directly with a TransEar GM you can say so on their web site.  Ask for Rick.