Author Topic: Omni directional dielectric mirror"  (Read 4743 times)

Darlene

Omni directional dielectric mirror"
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:50:18 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I just read about this amazing new tool on CNN for treating Brain Tumors called Omni directional dielectric mirror being  relatively new to this forum, I wondered if anyone could tell me if this "laser tool" is actually used for Acoustic Neuroma? 

Thanks for all you help, this sight is a tremendous help and resource and of course all of you are the reason it is. 

Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Omni directional dielectric mirror"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
Well, I'm relatively old to this forum, but I've never heard of this mirror.  Heck, I'm not even sure I can pronounce Omni directional dielectric  :)

But, although I'm an "oldie", I definitely don't know everything.  So the answer to your question just might be maybe.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Darlene

Article on Omni Directional Dielectrical mirror
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »
Jan,

I know I couldn't say it even two times but here is the article.  As well as being phonetical challenged I am not terrific on computers either so I hope it comes out alright.  Tell me what you think?  Does it sound like something that would help with Acoustic Neuroma or am I just grasping at straws?  I feel like a spoiled brat when I read how wonderful all of you are with dealing with what has come your way- but I really want my hearing and no facial paralysis/ headaches or balance problems. I read up on radio surgery and it sounds effective but I am claustrophobic and am afraid I would get there and freak out and not be able to do it.  I did the valium thing for the MRI and that didn't help at all.  They put in a mirror and my husband  stood right outside the machine and talked me through it so I made through. not an option with radiation.   I meet with the surgeon on Monday so I guess I'll see what my best options are. 

anyway thanks for being there

Darlene

LONDON, England -- A new tool that allows doctors to use laser surgery in complex operations has been hailed as a breakthrough in minimally invasive laser technology.

This fiber optic tool is made from the perfect mirror, making it possible to reflect CO2 lasers for the first time.

1 of 3  Originally designed as a military tool for the United States Department of Defense (DOD), the fiber-optic invention is revolutionizing the ways surgeons carry out brain surgeries.

The "Omni directional dielectric mirror" was created by Professor Yoel Fink, a then-29-year-old student in Material Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1995.

"I was asked to participate in a project funded by the DOD to create the perfect mirror," Fink told CNN.

"The perfect mirror reflects light from all angles and does not absorb any of it. It could have been used, for example, to reflect back enemy laser beams," he continued

DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, a subsection of the DOD, specialize in technologies they believe are about 25 years away from being realized and try to make them happen in five years' time.

But they didn't have a long wait before they found their perfect mirror.

"To my own surprise, I found the answer during the very first meeting. I thought everyone would laugh at my suggestion, so I waited until the last two minutes to talk and after I did, the room just fell silent," Fink, a former commander in the Israeli army, told CNN.

He found that by taking two materials with different optical properties (one being a semi-conducting glass and one being a polymer) and stacking these two up in very tight and ultra thin layers, around 1 micron each (1/1000 of a millimeter), they create an omni-reflec

The most important part of his discovery, however, was that by changing only the thickness and distance of the layers, the "perfect mirror" could reflect any type of electromagnetic energy in any wavelength.

This meant Fink's invention was useful not only in the military and telecommunications field, but could also be used in minimally invasive laser surgery -- the use of lasers rather than scalpels to operate on everything from tumors, deafness and spine injuries.
This type of surgery is known to reduce recovery time, the likelihood of complications and incision size. In many cases, patients also spend less time "under the knife."

Fink then set about creating a pen-shaped fiber-optic tool that could allow surgeons to easily manipulate the laser and bend it to reach almost any tissue in the body.

The results, according to some surgeons who have used it, are astonishing.

Dr. Stanley Shapshay, a renowned American Ear Nose and Throat surgeon and former president of the Triological Society told CNN: "When Yoel first called me to show me his fiber-optic tool made out of this perfect mirror, I was very skeptical as I had seen many unsuccessful trials."

"But as soon as we did the first tests, I was simply blown away," he added.

Dr. Shapshay has now performed over 100 operations with the "perfect mirror laser" and says he finds it almost easier to use than a scalpel.

Dr. Bendok, a senior neurosurgeon at Northwestern University in the United States, along with his partner, otolaryngologist Dr Andrew Fishman, also rave about the benefit of the fiber optic tool in minimally invasive surgery.

In a recent case, Dr. Bendok's patient had a tumor at the base of the brain, a tumor that could not have been previously reached without Fink's device. Using a scalpel to cut off the tumor would also have been dangerous as the patient's tumor was attached to an important vein.

"Using the scalpel could have caused a stroke," Dr. Fishman told CNN. "Instead we used CO2 laser to melt the tumor and then shave it off."

The whole operation took less than an hour and the patient recovered in only three days.

According to Dr. Shapshay, the perfect mirror is also an important development because, for years, doctors were able to treat patients with lasers in only limited circumstances and with many complications.

Until the "perfect mirror" came along there were no fibers that could transport the safer CO2 lasers. Surgeons had to shoot the laser beam directly from its large generator and could do so only at a straight angle, rendering it impossible to reach deeper tissues.

"At the time, CO2 lasers were like the perfect weapon for soldiers, but one that also happened to weigh five tons. They were very cumbersome," says Dr. Shapshay.

The surgeons believe laser technology will now become more widespread with the avenue of this tool that is "easy and intuitive to use."

Next on Fink's to-do list is to take his fibers worldwide, especially in Europe, the Middle East and Asia. His company, Omni Guide, aims to expand the tool globally: most clinics using it are currently in the United States.

"I hope it can help patients around the world," he said.
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:24:23 pm »
Hi Darlene,

I moved your post to this topic; I think you meant to hit Reply instead of New Topic.

I also Googled Dr. Fishman, and learned that he is at Northwestern University, he does acoustic neuroma surgery, and he is interested in minimally invasive techniques. Since he has used the laser, he would be the one to ask. Are you ready for what may be one of his questions: "Do you want to be the first?" I haven't heard of it being done, but it does sound promising.

I also want to comment on claustrophobia as a reason to avoid radiation treatment. I am sure that the doctors can provide something stronger than Valium, which would make the procedure quite tolerable for you. Hospitals seem to be good at that. Plus, I  think the treatment is less confining than an MRI anyway.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Darlene

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:22:28 pm »
Steve,

Thank you for the information.  I am not sure if I would willing to be the first, but I guess I will investigate it.  I don't know much about drugs but it is good to know radiation is still an option.  This whole thing is overwhelming but hopefully after monday i will know more. 

thanks,
Darlene

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:49:36 pm »
Hi Darlene!

Wow!  This sounds like really amazing technology.  I've never heard of it either, but maybe someday it wll be as common as any other type of AN surgery.  I agree that I may not want to be the first to try it out, but it's definitely something I would ask about.

I don't think you sound at all like a spoiled brat.  Most of us have learned to deal with whatever the after-effects of our treatment may be, but I think it's safe to say, we all wish we didn't have to.  I don't think anyone really wanted to lose their hearing or their smile, or blink or whatever else - that's not selfish - that's perfectily normal in my opinion!

I agree with Steve on the medication issue - I am quite sure you're not the only claustrophobic patient these doctors have ever seen, so I'm sure they have very effective ways of getting you through it.

Take a deep breath, enjoy your weekend and hopefully you'll get lots of answers on Monday.  Keep us posted!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:37:56 pm »
I also Googled Dr. Fishman, and learned that he is at Northwestern University, he does acoustic neuroma surgery, and he is interested in minimally invasive techniques.

Steve -

is that Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois ?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:07:40 pm »

Yes it is. I'm not sure if Bendok and Fishman are faculty, or only associated with the Medical Faculty Foundation (http://www.nmff.org/home/), but they have some connection to the university medical school.

Steve

Darlene

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:19:50 pm »
Hi

I went to the Neuro Surgeon today and he discussed the options; he does both Radiosurgery and microsurgery but he told me in my place he would just watch and wait.  He suggested another MRI in 3 mths and if I have any changes either on the MRI or physically then we would regroup.  I'm 44 so in his opinion if we could hold off till I was say 50, I would have a number of more years not risking my ok functioning.  In the event of growth or change in functioning he suggested radiosurgery.  I told him about my claustriophobia in the MRI and he prescribed a heavier dose of valium for my next MRI.  I think I am fine with watch and wait for now.  I will probably get another opinion, but not till after the holiday. 

Before my AN diagnosis I had scheduled an appointment for a physical today also.  So after the neurosurgeon I vistited my primary doctor  and he told me my left eye was squinting, I was surprised and he asked if I had never been told that and no I hadn't.  Is that a symptom of AN?   My AN is on the left side and my eyesight on that side has gotten worse  also. Just coincidence or is there a possible connection?  Lucky me, he also has me going for an ultrasound of my thyroid- I have to say, I was to afraid to even ask why.  I just took the referral and left.  I hope 09 is a better year.

thanks for everything
Darlene

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »
Hi Darlene,

I have to say I think the neurosurgeon gave you some very sensible advice. Waiting until there is something that needs fixing makes a lot of sense. I am also pleased that he considers radiation to be an option for you.

I have nothing on the eye squint or the thyroid test. Hopefully your doctor is just being careful.

Steve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:03:28 pm »

Yes it is. I'm not sure if Bendok and Fishman are faculty, or only associated with the Medical Faculty Foundation (http://www.nmff.org/home/), but they have some connection to the university medical school.

Steve

Interesting.  I checked the list of faculty at Northwestern but didn't see Fishman listed.

As you probably realize, Northwestern University (along with Dr. Wiet) is hosting the 2009 ANA Symposium.  I noticed that they are offering tours of Northwestern's gamma knife facility during the symposium.  Too bad we can't get them to give us some info on this whole Omni mirror thing at the same time.  Perhaps they could include that in the GK tour.

Jan