Author Topic: Only 2 more days until surgery!  (Read 8369 times)

madison

Only 2 more days until surgery!
« on: June 15, 2012, 07:01:10 pm »
Hello All!
Well, My surgery is Monday...I really wasn't sure if it was going to go off as planned- we had an unexpected insurance issue at the last minute!  After 3 frustrating days, many many hours on the phone, a missed day of work to go to social security and it's finally taken care of-believe it or not, social security actually admitted it was a mistake they made many years ago that just happened to pop-up at a most inopportune time.
I had an MRI today and a Catscan of my temporal bones-i guess so the surgeon could roadmap where he's going to drill/cut in-what a nice thought! It still hasn't really hit me yet and I don't think it will until i'm getting ready to be wheeled into the O.R.
My only "big" worry is what my face will look like when they wheel me out. I had gamma knife and i'm told that can make things alot trickier.
I had a spa day yesterday, today was my last day of work for quite awhile, tomorrow i will be cleaning alot and finalizing things for my recovery period, and Sunday my husband & I and another couple are going to spend the day just walking about town in the various shops/boutiques or wherever we may end up and then a nice dinner out before the big day.
I feel like I have so much to still do, but at least it will keep me occupied.
I want to thank everyone for their advice and support! I will update you as soon as I am able.
All my best to each and every one of you  :)
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

LizAN

Re: Only 2 more days until surgery!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:19:32 pm »
Hello All!
Well, My surgery is Monday...I really wasn't sure if it was going to go off as planned- we had an unexpected insurance issue at the last minute!  After 3 frustrating days, many many hours on the phone, a missed day of work to go to social security and it's finally taken care of-believe it or not, social security actually admitted it was a mistake they made many years ago that just happened to pop-up at a most inopportune time.
I had an MRI today and a Catscan of my temporal bones-i guess so the surgeon could roadmap where he's going to drill/cut in-what a nice thought! It still hasn't really hit me yet and I don't think it will until i'm getting ready to be wheeled into the O.R.
My only "big" worry is what my face will look like when they wheel me out. I had gamma knife and i'm told that can make things alot trickier.
I had a spa day yesterday, today was my last day of work for quite awhile, tomorrow i will be cleaning alot and finalizing things for my recovery period, and Sunday my husband & I and another couple are going to spend the day just walking about town in the various shops/boutiques or wherever we may end up and then a nice dinner out before the big day.
I feel like I have so much to still do, but at least it will keep me occupied.
I want to thank everyone for their advice and support! I will update you as soon as I am able.
All my best to each and every one of you  :)

Glad you were able to get everything worked out.

Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery!  Thanks in advance for updating us when you are able.  My surgery is just two weeks and one day after yours, on July 3rd.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

BlueSky

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »
Good luck with your upcoming surgery and I hope you have a smooth recovery. A spa day really sounds nice, glad you got some time to relax.

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:54:40 am »
Madison

You will be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend and all day Monday.   I have retrosig surgery scheduled for Friday 6/22 at UVA.  Like you, I am cleaning and trying to enjoy time with family and friends.  I will look forward to your postie posts. 

Blessings and peace to you.   

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 07:07:13 am »
Hi Madison .....

So glad the last minute insurance snafu is settled so you can relax this week-end and do some fun things before Monday.  You've had quite a journey and deserve to have everything go smoothly on Monday and following.

Many thoughts and prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:35:31 am »
My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Monday.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

kixit

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 12:08:18 pm »
Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a healthy recovery (no side effects). We have all been where you are right now. Me being just 3 weeks post translab. I wasn't so nervous about surgery just post-surgical. Everything was fine as I'm sure it will be with you. It's all in attitude!  You have many here praying for you and others upcoming surgeries. We're such a little AN family and wish the best for all!  ;D
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »
Hi, Madison ~

Congratulations on achieving a resolution of the SS problem and having the foresight to plan a pleasant pre-surgery day. 

You'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many (mine included).  I trust that the surgery will be successful and your recovery will be rapid and uneventful.  We'll all be anxiously awaiting your first post-op post when you're able.  Meanwhile, enjoy your day (Sunday)!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sempergumby

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 05:41:00 am »
Best wishes and speedy recovery.

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 09:12:14 am »
Best of luck, Madison! I'm praying that you'll have a complication-free surgery and a speedy recovery. :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 02:41:09 pm »
Good luck.

See you as a postie!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 04:22:31 am »
Madison
Today is the day and I wanted to send good vibes your way. We are all thinking of you and wish you a speedy & uneventful recovery.
Keep us posted when you are up to it.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 07:44:16 am »
Many prayers going your way as you get to sleep most of the day away today!! Good luck Madison! See you on the other side! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

kixit

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:51 am »
Thinking of you today. Sending good wishes and prayers your way. We will see you in a few days  ;D
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

lrobie

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:01 am »
Prayers being sent your way.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie