Author Topic: I'm Afraid!!!! I need encouragement  (Read 10920 times)

TSS

Re: I'm Afraid!!!! I need encouragement
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 02:01:40 pm »
Hi Sandy,

I was diagnosed with a 2.5 cm AN in May of this year - I am 49.  I understand the consternation and went for multiple consultations to discuss radiation and surgery.  The tiebreaker for me was a local well respected longtime neurosurgeon pointed me in the direction of radiation treatment.  He basically said the surgery is not easy and the history with radiation is proving to be positive.  I elected radiation at Baylor University in Dallas - Cyberknife. The have both Cyber & Gamma and have a long history of completing these type of procedures.  The traffic was a bigger problem than the the five 40 minute sessions.  I will have my 90 day follow up next week but will be surprised if they see anything unforeseen.  Since the treatrment I think my hearing has improved and I know I feel tons better.  I never had any significant side effects that are noticeable and have not missed a beat.

I will report my results after my f/u.  Best of luck with your decision making.

- Todd

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 10:11:17 am »
You may give consideration to Proton Therapy. The outcome for my husband has been excellent so far. Read and research. All will be well.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:30 am »
It's good to read how so many people have similar worries regarding radiation, and for the most part very positive outcomes.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan