Author Topic: Symposium Arrivals into Chicago - dinner Thurs Aug 13  (Read 52918 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Symposium Arrivals into Chicago - dinner Thurs Aug 13
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2009, 06:54:45 am »
Deb, Phyl - hope you are both feeling much better today.

How about if we set dinner at 6:30 to allow Steve a little more breathing room?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Lilan

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:46 am »
Is the consensus to book Mity Nice for 6:30, then? If anyone gets over there early, it's easy to entertain oneself in Water Tower for a bit! The anchors are a giant American Girl and Macy's, and then there are lots of smaller stores in the mall.

http://www.shopwatertower.com/html/storedirectory.asp

My impression was that Gino's seemed a little discouraging as to the crowd/convenience factor; no one cast a vote for Frankie's; and Mity Nice was the one place willing to do separate checks if we ask nicely!

I don't mean to take over, I just thought I could come up with a couple ideas as a local! If there are other/better plans I'm happy to just drop it!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2009, 09:38:31 am »
Lilan, I think you should go for it.

I'm not sure whether to join you or try and keep Phyl and Deb company in their room. Maybe I can pick something up to go for them?

If 6:00 pm is better for most, then do that, and I will come over and join you when I can.

One way or another, this is going to be fun.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2009, 09:41:58 am »
6:30 is good for us!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2009, 09:43:39 am »
Is the consensus to book Mity Nice for 6:30, then?

Yes, let's do it. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we don't think you are taking over; instead we are grateful that you are facilitating on our behalf.

Thank you Lilan,
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Lilan

« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2009, 10:26:22 am »
OK, I have perhaps something more conducive to our needs. It's also in Water Tower and is more casual, with food stations of all types, where everyone can order what they want on their own, then all sit together. It would be less of an issue with early or late arrivals, splitting bills, etc., as it's much more casual. People can come and go and pay as they please!

Entrees are under $10, and there is a $10 dinner special: soup or salad, entree from any of the kiosks, and gelato for dessert!

http://www.foodlifechicago.com/foodlife-menu.pdf

They technically don't take reservations but seem very willing to work with me on reserving a space, hopefully a quiet one. It may be slightly more boisterous than Mity Nice, but I think fits our needs in some ways better.

And it would be very easy to get takeout for anyone who stays back at the Drake or doesn't arrive in time!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:58 am »
I agree with Sara - I just hadn't gotten it posted - I am VERY glad that you are doing this because I know that it will come as NO SURPRISE to you (Phyl, be quiet!) I AM CLUELESS!!  I just follow along!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lilan

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2009, 11:44:12 am »
OK, I'm going to book foodlife for 6:30 unless anyone has a major objection. I really like the idea that we can come and go as we please; I think that suits everyone on a traveling day better. It will be quicker and easier, and anyone who is really tired can leave on their own and not have to wait for the whole table to get through a meal, etc. And no complicated bill splitting.

It won't be the most glamourous meal ever, but casual, fun and convenient, and avoids all the formalities and constrictions of booking a large party for a true sit-down.

I apologize in advance if it's noisy! That's my one concern. I am going to explain the hearing issues and try to get us seated in as calm a corner as possible.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2009, 12:20:42 pm »
Looks groovy. Is this like a glorified food court? And one last question, for those with mobility problems, is there a parking garage for the Water Tower?

Thanks again, so much for coordinating this on our behalf. I feel better already having a plan for Thursday evening.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2009, 12:31:52 pm »
I hope you guys all have a great time.  Raise a toast to all of us who can't be there with you in person, but are there with  you in spirit.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Lilan

« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2009, 12:46:20 pm »
It is a glorified food court for sure. But slightly more atmospheric than the average one (by that I mean darker. LOL.)

But it's not fast-food chains -- it's one restaurant running it all, if that makes sense. It's not fast food or individual operators.

You get a little "card" that you use to "charge" whatever you buy at the stations, then you hand it over and pay as you leave. In other words, if you want a sushi appetizer and a Mexican entree and a smoothie, you don't pay three times -- you just swipe the card and pay as you leave.

Water Tower Place does have a parking garage. From anywhere within a mile a cab would probably be cheaper, even cabbing both ways.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »
Jeez but that menu looks generic!  No offense!  But it sounds like the most practical place to eat given that there are a lot of us.  Count me out--I want some authentic Chicago Deep dish!  Don't mean to be a party pooper.  Will order some take out, maybe.  I just don't know what my back will be up to.

Geno's East is one of the top ten pizzerias in Chicago: http://www.10best.com/Chicago,IL/Restaurants/Pizza/ if anyone is still interested.

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:05:29 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Lilan

« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2009, 01:00:58 pm »
Steve looked into Gino's days ago, and here was his report:

I just called Gino's this morning. To arrange a room involves a contract arrangement, with food ordered ahead of time, like catering. $16 to $30 per person. That sounds unlikely to me. Also she said the Cubs are in town, so expect the restaurants, including Gino's, to be busy. Hmmm...

Steve

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2009, 01:07:06 pm »
I see it as Thursday night is more for the company than the food. There is a wide array so everyone should be able to find something. There's the rest of the weekend for us to ferret out local eateries.

Gino's East was the original choice for Thursday, but since they don't take reservations and the Cubbies are in town, we thought it would be difficult for our large party to be accommodated.

I think we'll be walking the few blocks from our hotel.

Looking forward to seeing all of you Thursday evening. Well, Friday I guess for Captain Deb and Phyl.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2009, 01:12:22 pm »
I guess I'll decide when the time comes depending on if I can walk or sit, which is becoming increasingly difficult for me although I will miss the socializing.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW