Author Topic: Non-Surgical Hearing Options  (Read 7444 times)

GRACE1

Non-Surgical Hearing Options
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:08:52 am »
I have not been on the site for quite a while.  Can someone please review the non-surgical options to improve hearing in the SSD ear?  I am going to have my hearing tested tomorrow, and I am finally ready to get some help with being able to hear.

Thank you!
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

PamJ

Re: Non-Surgical Hearing Options
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »
Hi Grace I tried the BAHA and the CROS (non surgical) I didn't like the CROS because of the wire at the back of my head but I hear they now do wireless CROS.  I went for the BAHA.  I didn't find much difference in the sound quality of BAHA and CROS just the wire I didn't like
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

mk

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:56:07 pm »
Hi Grace, good to hear from you.

The Cros is wireless now. If you do a quick search you will see a lot of recent threads on the forum about it. Of course it doesn't improve hearing in the SSD ear, but it transmits the signal to the good ear.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Paul F

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »
You might also check on the Sound Bite also posted on this site.  I have the new Phonak BiCros and am pretty happy with it.  No wire and it works better than my old BAHA did.
Paul

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:12 am »
You should also look into the Transear.  It's non-surgical; fits inside the ear canal.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »
Gracie,

I am a SoundBite user. It has been the most effective device I have found so far.

Hope you can find the best solution for you.

Take care,
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:39:45 pm »
I have not been on the site for quite a while.  Can someone please review the non-surgical options to improve hearing in the SSD ear?  I am going to have my hearing tested tomorrow, and I am finally ready to get some help with being able to hear.

Thank you!

I have the Phonak Cros. The unit on my SSD side picks up sound coming from the right and transmits to the hearing aid on the left and makes it seem like I am hearing from both sides.

There's probably a lot of options out there. I don't know how many have remote control devices but the Phonak makes a very nice remote control called MyPilot. It allows control of volume of both sides together or one side at a time. It also allows rapid switching between the several programs available for various situations.

Unfortunately, like most hearing aids, it's not that great with background noise reduction. But, at least, the remote control provides the opportunity to switch programs on the fly in order to adapt to surrounding circumstances.

I understand that most hearing aid vendors will give you a tryout period where you can bring it back if it's not working out for you. That gives you the opportunity to try different brands if you like.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:39:36 am »
My New Year's decision was to go with the SoundBite.  Visited doctor last week and saw the device...very tiny and non-intrusive  Their office working on getting my insurance to cover it as a prosthetic.  Here's hoping...I too did not want the surgical implant thing of the BAHA, so this seems like a good alternative.  Let you know how it goes when I get it.
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

Trisha

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 11:19:32 pm »
Cakumom,  did you get your Soundbite???   What about insurance coverage??  Can you please update us.  Thanks Trisha

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 02:15:25 pm »
My daughter who is now 25,  is in the process of getting the SoundBite...Sonitus is helping us to get insurance coverage.