Author Topic: Swallowing Problems  (Read 2340 times)

kaitysmom

Swallowing Problems
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:27:19 am »
I'm three weeks post surgery and still have swallowing problems.  I feel fortunate this is my own only problem post surgery.  But, it's driving me nuts.  I'm on a liquid diet until I can pass another swallow test on 15 Dec.  I've been to a speech therapist to help me but that was a dead end.  She didn't see where I had a problem.  I couldn't swallow applesauce! 

Anyone have this problem post surgery?  If so, what did you do? 

Thanks
Jody

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Swallowing Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:43:26 am »
Jody,

I'm sorry you are having swallowing problems as I know how frustrating that can be.

What is the specific cause of the problem? Since you are on a liquid diet, I assumed that is NOT from vocal cord paralysis (which was part of my problem). Initially, I was not allowed anything other than thick liquids and pureed food.

After the first of three vocal cord injections that allow me to speak (albeit very quietly) I was able to start drinking normal liquids. It took quiet awhile before I essentially learned enough about how to eat again before I could do it without choking at every meal. What I did was learn the following:

1) Eating was time I had to sit at a table and focus on that one activity. Eating had to be intentional, not casual, no wondering through the house eating cookies.

2) Pick foods I could handle. Some were obvious, others it was by trial and error. Rice, cracker, cookies are all things I still have to be very careful about.

3) Small bites. Insanely well-chewed.

4) Sip liquid after almost every bite if it was any food without a liquid base.

5) Patience.

Not quite 10 months later, I can be a bit more casual, but the autonomic swallowing processes (the smooth muscles that drive peristalsis) still does not work me. Don't let this scare you though, I had largish tumor and long surgery, and I was born to do things the hard way. ;-)

What do the doctors say about the nature of your problem? There is a good Wikipedia article about swallowing that may help you understand how it is supposed to work which in turn may help you compensate.

I hope this is helpful,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Brewers7

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:48:37 pm »
I agree with Tod's suggestions.  You are still very early in recovery.  Things are likely to improve.   I have left vocal cord paralysis and I went through many swallow test, feeding tubes, etc., but I can eat just about anything now.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

kaitysmom

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »
Thanks Tod for the suggestions.  My vocal chords are ok. Seems my tumor rested on the swallow area and when it was removed the muscles haven't bounced back yet.  I had expected all the different outcomes, because I read a lot on this site.  I never gave swallowing a thought though. 

I know it's soon.  I am a tad impatient.  Broth, jello, ice creme and Ensure are getting old. 

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:11:05 pm »
Shrimp and lobster bisque was my special treat.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

tichinose

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:08:11 pm »
I have that problem...going for something called a strobe test to test nerves or something