Author Topic: Scared Newbie  (Read 5986 times)

Puppylove

Re: Scared Newbie
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 12:20:05 pm »
Thank you everyone for all of your kind words and support.  Reading all of the reply's, as well as other messages on this board, has really helped me a lot.  I feel so much better than I did before.  I think the initial shock of hearing the words "brain tumor" just sent me in to a tailspin.  I'm in the process of getting copies of my MRI sent out to a few different places (thank you all for your suggestions) and hopefully in a few weeks, I will feel more comfortable with a decision.  It's the not knowing that is bothering me the most.  I am an "instant gratification" type person, so waiting this out is definitely a new life lesson for me ;)

I'm sure I will be posting many questions in the days/weeks to come. Thank you again for the welcome!
Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

Lizard

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 02:18:27 pm »
  I am an "instant gratification" type person, so waiting this out is definitely a new life lesson for me ;)

Debbie,
If I learned one thing from this whole experience (which is not true, I've learned and grown as a person because of it) its to have patience.  I have never been this way, but I had no choice...embraced and and I try to be everyday.  Except on the morning commute to work...haven't figured how to translate that into rush hour, but I digress.  I'm happy you are moving forward with your treatment process and decisions.  Please remember if you need anything don't hesitate to ask  :)
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 10:56:41 pm »
Yes, surgery is major, but I have to take exception to what TJ said.  I didn't find that surgery had some "nasty side-effects".  Everything I experienced post op wasn't necessarily pleasant, but I wouldn't term it "nasty" either.  The worst of my side effects was SSD (single sided deafness) and that's been "solved" for all practical purposes by my BAHA. 

I'm not at all telling everyone that they should have surgery - treatment choice is definitely a personal choice and people should do what they (and their doctors) think is right for them.

Debbie -

if you haven't contacted the ANA for their informational brochures yet, you should.  They are free for the asking and you'll find them very helpful.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jbbrown15

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:36 am »
I'm sorry that you're joining us.  I was just diagnosed in September with a 2.9 cm an on my left side.  I am 33 and have three children (almost 5, 2 years, and 9 months).  It is difficult and scary.  I chose to have fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy at Jefferson in Pennsylvania.  Given the size of your tumor, I hope that you can also have radiation.  I'm 20 sessions into a 26 session course and it hasn't been too terrible.  I've been able to go into work most afternoons and the effects are mainly fatigue, nausea and intensified vertigo.  My radiation oncologist thinks that I'll be back to my pre-radiation normal within a few weeks of being done.

I'm sorry to hear that you previously had radiation for cancer.  I really don't know anything about that.  I do know that the radiation I'm getting for my an is a lower dose than that given for cancer and that it is very focused, so not scattering and hitting other parts of my body.  

( Moderator Note:  email removed, please send a PM )

Jean
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:23:20 pm by Joef »
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.