Author Topic: MRI Tommorow  (Read 3667 times)

sarah001

MRI Tommorow
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:24:39 am »
I am at last having an MRI IAM scan tomorrow, feeling quite worried now though as I have not had one before.

Sarah

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: MRI Tommorow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:52:08 am »
Sara

I know it is easy to say, but just try to relax, it will be OK.  Whatever they find or don't find, at this point you cannot change it.
Best of luck

TJ

Twindad

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:24 pm »
Sara,
  I look at all of this technology that we have at our disposal as a blessing. I have had quite an active life and have had several MRI's that pinpointed and detected where to fix several things. Imagine being around 100 years ago !  I myself have recently learned of a golf ball size tumor growing in my head because a smart doctor with access to a MRI machine that found it. You will be just fine. I will say this much, I am still a newbie on this site and the support that I have gotten so far has been great. We are all people with common reason to communicate and support.
Translab Surgical approach
3.5cm x 3.8cm x 4cm. Loss of hearing on left. Removed 6-23-11 / 10.5 hrs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:45:40 pm »
Good luck, Sarah.

My diagnostic MRI was my first also and I found that if I closed my eyes when I was in the tube and put my mind elsewhere (I was walking on a beach in Hawaii) it wasn't bad.  The clanging is a little loud, but you learn to tune it out.

If you find that your anxiety level is high and you just don't think you can handle the tube of gloom (as us old-timers like to call it) you can ask for a mild sedative (Atavan, I think) to help you get through it.  There is absolutely no shame in this; lots of people need help to get through an MRI.

Although I don't wish repeated MRIs for you, I have to say that over time I've actually learned to like the tube of gloom.  I find it very peaceful, despite the loud clangs, and two years ago I actually started to be able to open my eyes and look around when I was inside the tube.

Hang in there and think good thoughts.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sarah001

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:18:09 am »
Thank you for the message, I am glad that is over with and I really hope I never have to have one again it took 2 attempts I went in the first time and made a mistake of going in with my eyes open and then panicked and they got me out  :-[ second time I went in with my eyes closed and tried not to think about it and that was better, it was a lot different to how I imagined it and much longer and narrower than I thought it would be the noise was not to bad as they give me ear plugs.

Sarah

Twindad

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:19:27 pm »
See Sarah, I told you it would be easy. It's almost like being inside a real small airplane tube. A REAL small airplane with a REAL expensive airfare  ^-^ I hope your results are on the positive side.
Translab Surgical approach
3.5cm x 3.8cm x 4cm. Loss of hearing on left. Removed 6-23-11 / 10.5 hrs

jrummi

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:13:41 am »
hello, I am fairly new the forum, I don't know if this helps, but if you have to do it again, I always pretend I am in a tanning bed:)  I am glad all went well. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:27:21 am »
I like the tanning bed idea!!  Going to try focusing on that next time.  Thanks.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sarah001

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:42:11 am »
 :)Yes good idea! I have not got the results back yet it is 5 day now but they did say it could take up to 14 days for my referring doctor to get the report, hopefully that will be the first and last time having MRI scan they did not use contrast though which I thought they would of.

Sarah