Author Topic: Edema  (Read 2348 times)

kathy g

• Getting great radio heard
Edema
« on: December 17, 2009, 01:51:47 am »
Folks:

Just got the report from my 7 month MRI.  They said that the size has not changed but there has been "interval development vasogenic edema along the posterior margin of the mass."

I have been having headaches off and on recently, and was worried that the tumor was growing.  Maybe it is the swelling.

Does it go away by itself with steroids or aspirin? What else can be done about it?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kathy
November 2010- 10 x 7 x 8 mm
May 2009- 28 x 26 x 17 mm
GK  May 2009 Washington Hospital, Fremont, CA

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Edema
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 02:05:48 pm »
Kathy,

I did some reasearch on "vasogenic edema" to see what that is.. This is what I found out:

Definition
Edema is a condition of abnormally large fluid volume in the circulatory system or in tissues between the body's cells (interstitial spaces).

Description
Normally the body maintains a balance of fluid in tissues by ensuring that the same of amount of water entering the body also leaves it. The circulatory system transports fluid within the body via its network of blood vessels. The fluid, which contains oxygen and nutrients needed by the cells, moves from the walls of the blood vessels into the body's tissues. After its nutrients are used up, fluid moves back into the blood vessels and returns to the heart. The lymphatic system (a network of channels in the body that carry lymph, a colorless fluid containing white blood cells to fight infection) also absorbs and transports this fluid. In edema, either too much fluid moves from the blood vessels into the tissues, or not enough fluid moves from the tissues back into the blood vessels. This fluid imbalance can cause mild to severe swelling in one or more parts of the body.

So, I'd say it's a medical way of saying that some fluid has built up around where the tumor is/was.  My last visit with my surgeon, he said that I had something similar (altho he didn't use that medical terminology with me).  He wanted to keep an eye on it to make sure the fluid didn't solidify/calcify or get bigger, but he didn't seem to concerned with it.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I can't speak to headaches after radiation, but I presume they'll get better with time as well.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

kathy g

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:55:48 pm »
Brian:

Thanks so much for looking this up.  I tried and could not find as much as you did. Where did you find it?  Hope it is not too abnormally large. 

Tried to call some doctors about this and no one has returned my call.  I guess it could not be too serious. No headache now.

Best,
Kathy

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:20:56 am »
Kathy,

I did a Google search of "vasogenic edema" and one of the links was this:  http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Vasogenic+edema

I pulled this info from there.  There is a lot more there, but I felt this was pertinent info to the discussion at hand.  As I said, my doctor mentioned a build up of fluid at my 1 year check up, but he felt it wasn't necessary for anything other than my usual check up the following year (will be in May 2010) to check "progress" of that area.  I really don't think it's a time sensitive thing to worry about and definitely not something that should be top of mind.

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

kathy g

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:52:57 am »
Brian:  Thanks so much.  I guess that is why the doctors do not call back, it is normal.

Although, they are so busy at this time of the year (getting in their deductible).

Best,
Kathy