Author Topic: Sneaking up on me???dropping things  (Read 1995 times)

cin605

Sneaking up on me???dropping things
« on: October 23, 2008, 04:22:47 pm »
since my surgery in June i have noticed that i don't notice  ;D people or moving things untill they are right upon me??I have had my sight checked & wear contacts but it seems
i am startled alot by someone or something that sudennly appears next to me??
I have also noticed i am extremly clumsy..dropping stuff suddenly or reaching for something & totally wiping something else out in the path.
Is this normal??
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Sneaking up on me???dropping things
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:43:40 pm »
Cin605:

Hi.  Well, if you're SSD (Single Sided Deaf), your hearing has been diminished by 50%.   If, say, you don't see someone enter the room and then they speak and startle you, that is perfectly normal.  This happens to me all the time (I'm SSD).  I also can't distinguish where sounds are coming from (behind or to the side) so this can also lead to being startled.  It's become sort of a joke between my wife and myself.  She often startles me by coming into a room behind me then speaking to me.  When she does this I'll jump and often shout "Waaaaa".  She usually says something like: "who else did you expect?"  Of course I didn't 'expect' anyone.  I simply didn't hear her come into the room and when she spoke (behind me) I was startled. 

The post-op 'clumsiness' syndrome is not unknown, either.  Give your body time to adjust and that should diminish. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:44:14 pm »
Cin -

as Jim suggested, I think the people & things "sneaking up on you" can be attributed to your hearing.

As for the clumsiness, in my experience, it gets better in time.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:27:09 pm »
Cin, Yes, I am still startled when someone enters my room from behind.  My husband and I have made a habit of calling out to each other to reveal the name of the room we are speaking from.  I am SSD and he has serious hearing loss on one side from industrial abuse. 

I drop things and dump things over often.  Previously, I was agile and precise with my hands and arms.   I have not completely adjusted to balancing with my eyes.  I am improving though. 

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:32:56 am »
I have to agree that clumsiness seems to be the norm -- I sometimes feel like  the proverbial bull in  a china shop.  As for feeling like people are sneaking up on me, I never thought of it that way, but I see what you mean.  As Jim said, having your hearing diminished by 50%, if your SSD does make it harder to know when someone walks into a room or is close to you.  In time, I think you adapt to at least some extent by being more observant in other ways, or if you get a BAHA or TransEar, your hearing is better and you probably won't get that feeling anymore.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cin605

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 12:31:57 pm »
Oh good thanks alot...I thought i was just imagining it or it was just me.
43yrs old

kenneth_k

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 05:55:39 am »
Hi Cin.

After my operation I've joined the SSD club. It's still pretty new to me. The biggest challenge is walking in traffic. It's kinda scary when a car "sneaks up on you". So I promised my wife, untill further, that I will not leave the house without an adult by my side ;D

Best regards, Kenneth

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 09:22:41 am »
I've always been jumpy so I can't blame my AN (for once).  Always been a klutz as well so I can't blame dropping things either.  So, in answer to your question, if you're using me as a benchmark for normal ( :o) then you are just fine!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cin605

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 10:00:47 am »
 ;D yup..its just plain strange...if i could think of the strangest thing that i have ever seen it would the effects of an AN on a person.Before & After.
So new i guess.new thigns that happen on a dailey basis just make me go HMMMM.
On the up side i went to a pig roast yesterday & it was really windy it did pretty good of coarse i think the 3 Twisted Teas helped alot...Also everyone else was wobblier than me for a change   :)....I walked in the dark over a l awn & did not fall down..My toungue has completly drained its no longer swollen on the left side there is some nerve weakness there but it
doesnot effect my speech too bad.I stayed on my feet for a while....Today i rest,I don't want to push it.
43yrs old

LN

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 02:19:05 pm »
You all are the "best"!  Though it's my  mother who is suffering with a A.N and not me, watching her go through this experience has been excruciating!  There are two quotes I would like to share with you all"

"If you think you are going through hell, KEEP GOING"  Sir Winston Churchill

"It's not the amount of times you've been knocked down, but rather how quickly you get up"

You all are so brave and courageous and this has helped us tremendously!  thank you