Author Topic: Getting Baha May 15th, so excited!!!  (Read 4898 times)

dpetty

Getting Baha May 15th, so excited!!!
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:02:25 am »
Well had a great yearly AN checkup, 6 yrs post-op and still good to go, Dr. Dornhoffer demo'd the Baha for me and all I can say is WOW, so I told him sign me up so May 15th I am having it done and I am so excited!!!! I wanted it like yesterday but the 15th was the earliest I could get it so guess I will have to live with that!!! Guess the only thing I am wondering is has anyone had issues with it?

David

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Getting Baha May 15th, so excited!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47:04 am »
David -

WOW is right!  I am SO excited for you!  Just had my surgery on 3/4 and I am chomping at the bit for the processor!  I have to wait until the beginning of June, though  :'(

Welcome to the "Dawn, toothbrush and cake string Club" (Steve can explain)  ;D

Can't tell you of any issues I'm having because I'm so new at this I haven't had time to have any, but there are lots of BAHA users on this forum - some a few weeks ahead of me, some who have had them for years - so I'm sure someone else can give you feedback.

Best of luck with your surgery; may May 15th get here fast  :)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:28:55 pm »
David - Yay!  I hope your BAHA date comes up quickly!

I had no issues at all with the surgery.  Of course, once you've had brain surgery, what exactly does it take to be considered a big deal surgery anymore?

I got my processor in early January and I love it.  I will say there are times when it doesn't help - very noisy crowds mostly, and I've found it best to turn it off, but for the most part, it's great.  It's one of those things you don't realize is helping much, until you forget to wear it one day and you really miss it.  I had one of those "AHA" moments (to steal a phrase from Oprah) last night when a young man was helping me out to my car with my groceries.  He was very soft spoken to begin with and he walked on my deaf side and we were able to have a whole conversation - I heard the whole thing.  I felt "normal" for the first time in a very long time.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I know I'd be willing to try just about anything to be able to hear from my AN side again, and I think this is the best I'm going to be able to do - for now.  Until they invent something better...you never know....

Oh, and Jan, don't forget the tres chic beret!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

dpetty

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:46:52 pm »
Well being deaf now for 6 years and being able to hear again will be wonderful, at times I get so sick of not being able to hear so when I found out about this I jumped at it. I understand it is not a cure all but it's better than a poke in the eye.

Lori you are correct not sure how much more serious things can get short of brain surgery, funny my daughter in law's mother who is sorta a hypochondriac was telling me all her ailments first time we met at dinner and this conversation went on for a bit and I spoke up and said well only thing I have had was brain surgery that lasted 14 hrs so other than that I am fine, pretty much dried up the conversation for a bit,lol.....

David

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »
David,

And once you have a screw in your head to show people, that ought to really shut them up!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 03:16:10 pm »
Ah, yes, my lovely BAHA "hat" - pictures posted on this site for all to see.  My vanity went right out the window with that one  ;D  Thanks for the reminder Lori.

I'm at the "Dawn" stage now - thank you SO much for the tip.  In addition to doing last night's dishes, I shampooed twice with it this morning before using my regular shampoo.  I'm thinking we should send a huge thank you note to the manufacturer thanking them for their outstanding product.  I bet they have no idea what we are currently using it for.  Wonder what their reaction would be  ???

I was extremely excited to have the bandage and cap removed yesterday - that is until the doc told me I'd have to "goop" up the site with neosporin 2x daily for the next 2 weeks  :(  Oh well, as I know from the AN surgery, there are worst things.

I'm so glad to hear about your "AHA" moment - it's stuff like that I've been missing and at times it's been very depressing.  I'm so glad I can look forward to those kinds of conversations in the future and not have to go "WHAT ???"

David -

14 hours!  You are a champ; my surgery was only 7 1/2.  How big was your AN?

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 03:19:31 pm »
 I have had my Baha since January 2007.  Just like you as soon as I tried it I said , "sign me up".  It is so nice not to use "hearing aids" and have it wear noone knows you are wearing it.  It does help most of the time, but I agree in noisy situations very little can help us.
It is so easy to put on and take of.  Easy to change the batteries.  I keep it in the case whenever I take it off.  Best of luck with the BAHA.  I am so glad I got it.

Laurie

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:28:44 pm »
Welcome to the "Dawn, toothbrush and cake string Club" (Steve can explain)  ;D

Okay, here goes, correct me if I'm wrong:

- The cake string is used to hold the bandage on your head for a while, so it can be cut off easily by your favorite companion, but you won't need it if they put pink foam on instead, and then cover it with a beret.

- To avoid infection, you apply an antibiotic ointment to the post at night, the kind that are the consistency of Vaseline. But then the next morning, how do you clean it up? This is the good part: you use a toothbrush to scrub the post behind your ear, then you use Dawn to wash the ointment out of your hair. How cool is that?

I really need to join this club. Sadly, I will just be getting a regular hearing aid - but at least it is a fancy small lightweight one. Maybe I can get them to mount it on a post in my head anyway?

Lori, I can't believe you missed the opportunity to say you had a "BA-HA" moment!  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:04:03 am »
Steve -

very good explanations; you've been paying attention, I can tell.

As for the BA-HA moment, very amusing  ;D  Never thought of that one myself.

Thanks for keeping us smiling,

Jan

dpetty

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:35:06 am »
Well least people can't say I have a screw loose now, I can tell them it is firmly attached,lol!

Laurie I do believe that will shut them down pretty quickly, I rarely talk about my AN unless asked but seems when you meet someone they want to talk about there ailments. I have wanted to say so many times hey it's time you cowboyed up!!! I mean gosh my AN tumor was almost 14mm in size with spider legs going every which way, growing like a weed and if that wasn't enough I was going thru a divorce, raising my two kids alone and trying to keep the ranch going plus hold down a full time job. My doctor told my soon to be wife Monday that I was one tough bird as I had to go back to work in 2 weeks to keep the wolf away from the door as he wanted me to stay off for work for 12 weeks, guess that is why I am in such good condition. He asked me if I had any problems I told him no, I ride a horse pretty much daily checking cattle and work a full time day job, even been bucked off a time or 4.

Jan I am looking forward to my new hat, told my g/f we were going dancing once i get it,lol

lori67

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 08:49:53 am »
A BAHA moment!  That's priceless!  Even Oprah can't beat that!

David, sounds like you might have to get a cowboy hat instead of a beret!

And Steve, don't forget, you can get the antibacterial version of the dishwashing soap - an added bonus!  And I suppose you could even wash your dishes while you're in the shower.  Might as well make good use of time.   ;D

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:04 am »

Jan I am looking forward to my new hat, told my g/f we were going dancing once i get it,lol

David -

you may not get a BAHA hat like mine, you may get the cake-string version like Lori had, but either way it will be something new and different than what you are used to.

It sounds like your AN came at a great time (she said sarcastically); I can't imagine your stress level.  It's to your credit that you got through it so well.  I was diagnosed about six months after my very long, very expensive, very stresful divorce; just when I thought that my life was finally returning to normal and that my kids and I could get on with our lives.  Little did I know that the normal I was hoping to achieve would be postponed and changed for a while.  And I'm positive my kids had no concept of their current version of a mom - you know, the one with the "screw" in her head  ;D  I find that they are a little freaked out about it, but their friends think it's cool.  Actually we are all adjusting much better than I thought.

IMO you are a brave man to venture into matrimony again - people tell me I will, but at this point I can't even imagine it.  But never say never  :)

Good luck with the BAHA and the marriage,

Jan

dpetty

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 09:59:05 am »
Jan Well either brave or a gutton for punishment,lol, I think I found a keeper,maybe,I hope, my kids are grown now as well as her's so that cuts out a huge problem. You are correct the stress level was off the chart, not only did I have that to deal with I also got downsized and had to start a contracting business so I had my hands full, not sure how I made it without the Good Lord lookin' after me, my mother told me many times he doesn't put on anymore than you can handle, hindsight I can see that but when your up to neck in it it's hard to beleive it.

Lorie  Well maybe I can start a fashion trend with my new hat?

1wareagle

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:45:59 am »
David,

I hate to bust your bubble, but I haven't been able to wear a hat and  BAHA at the same time. The hat will not go down on my head far enought to keep it on.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

dpetty

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 11:59:34 am »
Well it will have to allow for me wearing my glasses so if it sits lower and back to avoid my glasses arm then it shouldn't interfear with my cowboy hat.