Author Topic: House Ear Clinic  (Read 10101 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: House Ear Clinic
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 09:32:00 pm »
Some excellent points by Lori.

I don't think any one of us consciously chooses SSD over facial nerve damage, and it's important to keep in mind that there are no guarantees.  A lot depends on the size and location of the tumor, and despite MRIs, doctors don't really know what they are dealing with until they open up the skull. 

I chose retrosigmoid in the hopes that I would be able to keep my hearing, but my AN was wrapped around my hearing nerve.  This was discovered during my surgery - so much for my hopes  ::)  When it came to a choice of removing the entire tumor or sacrificing my hearing nerve my docs had a choice to make; which I wholeheartedly agree with.  Point is, I thought I'd come out of surgery with some hearing in my left ear; I ended up with none.

On the flip side, the retrosigmoid approach is known for leaving patients with facial nerve damage.  However, I only had slight damage that a dose of steroids swiftly rectified.  Bottomline, you do your research, you decide what you think is best for you with the information you have, and you go from there.  Even the best surgeon in the world cannot guarantee you anything 100% - no matter where he/she practices. 

There are numerous forumites who live with facial nerve damage every day and I think the majority of them will tell you that they live full, productive lives.  Is life always easy for them?  No.  Would they have chosen facial nerve damage?  Absolutely not.  But life is what you make of it and each and every day lots of people on this forum choose to step up to the plate and get on with their lives.

Whatever your son's outcome, I'm confident he will be able to lead a life worth living.

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways