Author Topic: Help me Understand what & Why?  (Read 2877 times)

crimefighter

Help me Understand what & Why?
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:38:40 pm »
I have been having ringing in one of my ears and the feeling that something was in my ear for the last 2 months.  I went to the ENT Doctor and he looked in my ear and said everything looked great (no wax build up).  He performed a few hearing tests and I did show some hearing loss in the ear.  He performed a test (basically an EKG for the ears) to measure the electric current "or whatever" that goes from my ear to my brain.  That test showed abnormal.  So he ordered an MRI.  He was searching for acoustic neuroma.  Well, I got the results from my MRI back today (just from the hospital, I don't go see the doctor until the 9th of July) and the MRI results said "normal".  As happy as I was to receive the news still upset that now I am back to square 1.  I was thinking that since my mom has M.S. (diagnosed when she was 20 before she had me) that there was a chance that I might have Neurofibromytosis Type 2 and that might possibly be why I had an acoustic neuromas.  Well now I just dont know.
Basically I still having the ringing in my ears, still sleepy all the time, still a fullness in my ears, some hearing loss, an abnomal "EKG for ears test" and yet a "normal" MRI.  I am also diabetic so at first I thought maybe it was a result of being diabetic but I dont know what is going on.  I am 39 and didn't think I would have to be dealing with anything like this for several years.  Any suggestions on what I might could research or look for??????   Is it possible that I could still have an AN even though the person that read my MRI didn't see anything?????  Any help or ideas would be appreciated...

???

Kaybo

Re: Help me Understand what & Why?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:46:22 pm »
crimefighter~
was your MRI done with contrast?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

crimefighter

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:48:36 pm »
Yes, my MRI was done with and without contrast.  The also looked at my Corroded arteries and they were fine as well.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 06:26:25 am »
Crimefighter -

good questions.  Wish I knew the answers.  But not being a doctor, I wouldn't even speculate.

Since your MRI was done with contrast, even a very small AN should have been evident if you had one.

IMO you should consult with an ENT or two and see if they can shed some light on your symptoms.

Good luck,

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:28:51 pm »
Crimefighter ~

First, let me offer my congratulations on the news (via an MRI) that you don't have an acoustic neuroma. 

I assume your ENT performed an auditory brainstem response (ABR) test.  Your 'abnormal' results on that test as well as the symptoms you describe certainly suggest an acoustic neuroma.  However, because the MRI scan - with contrast - seems to have ruled that out, you'll have to confer with your doctor to seek out the source of your symptoms.  I'm not a doctor and any information I offer is strictly supposition, but you may be suffering with Meniere's disease or otosclerosis, - a hardening of the bone of the middle ear.  At your age (39) that would be a long-shot.

These specific issues can be researched on the internet and, more significantly, with your doctor when you see him next week.  I hope he can discover the source of your symptoms and that they can be successfully addressed, soon.   Please let us know what happens.  Thanks.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.