Author Topic: eye spring  (Read 5361 times)

stewie

eye spring
« on: April 20, 2007, 02:27:06 pm »
Hi all,
I noticed that some of you have been inquiring on the eye spring. I'm interested as well. I can't stand this gold weight anymore, and like others, I don't like the way it looks in my eyelid. Actually droops it down further. Now I'm especially irritated by it since my reconstructive Dr. told me the other day that I may need to keep this thing for the rest of my life. . . . . NOT!
So I'm wondering, can anyone offer any info on the eye spring? What is the difference between the spring and the weight? How is the spring applied? What is it's visibility? Can you wear contact lenses?
Any information offered would be most welcome. I really haven't heard much about the spring.
Stewie
3 cm tumor
Left side
December 2005
Wisconsin

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: eye spring
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:22:45 pm »
Hi Kathy:   I'm going to ask my doc about the spring when I go for my appt. 4/26; I know Kate has the spring, she said it was more involved surgery wise.
               My doc wants to put in a platinum weight, I had to have the gold weight removed b/c of reaction problems, the swelling & redness never went away.
               The platinum one will be smaller as it weighs more than gold, & from what Ellis told me it's shaped kinda like a banana- runs along the upper lid, less noticeable.
               I've got to ask my doc why he thinks I won't have a similar reaction to the platinum weight;   I don't think he does the spring but I'm going to ask.
               Whatever is put in, I can tell you, it WILL have to remain in there unless you get back movement to the eye area, & my neurologist told me that's the last area
               to come back, if it does at all (the funny thing is, with Joef, his eye area came back 1st - I think !!!!  Well, leave it to a man to get that area back !!!).
               I was also told, when I had the gold weight (& I'm assuming for the platinum one but I'll ask) that it has to be replaced every 5 years or it can 'break thru' the
               skin - he even showed me a picture of a guy who didn't get it replaced, the break thru isn't a pretty sight.   So, that's that.   I'm just glad there IS something
               to keep the eye from having the 'wide open' look,  that was horrible when I first looked in the mirror after surgery - my eye reminded me of a skull look.
               So, I too am interested in finding out more about the spring.
               Take care my friend,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

stewie

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:49:40 am »
Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the info on the eye/spring. I'm interested to know what your doc says 4/26. Keep me posted. I also like the sound of that platinum weight. You did say platinum, right? Regardless, I like this description. I don't have the wide eye look, its just that I can't make a full closure with my lid on its own. Also, I never heard about the 5 year replacement stuff. Thanks for that info--will have to ask my doc about that as well.
Hope your Dr. visit is a very positive one for you!
Let me know the outcome.
Until  then,
Kathy
3 cm tumor
Left side
December 2005
Wisconsin

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:04:25 pm »
Kathy:  saw my doc today & asked about the spring.  He doesn't use or recommend them because he's seen/read that they can 'break through' the eyelid,  so I'll be going with the platinum weight once my eyelid heals, he said it'll take another 2 months at least !!   so, that's that.    Take care,   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

stewie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:37:02 pm »
Nancy,
Thanks for the update! Did your Dr. just reccomend the platinum weight or did you have to inquire on alternatives? I think you mentioned that platinum is heavier and therefore the piece is smaller. A different shape to it to????? I would like to ask my doc about this. He feels that I may need the weight for the rest of my life. If thats the case, I would like to explore other options. My weight is Xtra heavy he says. Most people don't need this amount of weight. You can't really see it, but it bugs me. Sometimes it feels too heavy.

Take care. . . and thanks for your encouragement and updates!

Your friend,
Kathy
3 cm tumor
Left side
December 2005
Wisconsin

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 03:17:47 pm »
Hi Kathy:  Well, since I had a reaction to the gold weight (my eyelid stayed red & swollen for almost 8 months, then he removed it) he said we'll try the platinum weight. 
               There's no guarentee I won't have a reaction to platinum, but he wants to give it the benefit of my eyelid COMPLETELY HEALED first.  I asked about the spring
               today & that's when he told me he doesn't recommend or use them.  I forget the weight he used with the gold, but it has to be enough that when you close
               your eye it will close, so I know mine was pretty heavy, you could see the square outline of it.   Yes, platinum weighs more so the weight should be smaller & I
               think Ellis told me it runs along the lid & you can't see it.   My weight never felt too heavy, maybe you should check with your doc - if you are getting some
               movement back maybe you don't need that heavy a weight.   The weight for the rest of your life, yes, UNLESS you get movement back, my wish for you (& for
               all of us with facial paralysis !!!).
                Always good thoughts my friend,    Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Madelyn_Beltz

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 06:11:22 pm »
I'm surprised there aren't a lot of people who have had the eye spring.  Dr. Levine implanted mine July 2006.  I have the impression 90% of them are successful.  I was completely unprepared for the unsuccessful result I got.  They said usually the swollenness is gone after three weeks.  Then they said it takes some people three months.  It took me about eight or nine months.  And the eyelid still doesn't open far enough.  It prefers to be closed and is closed as I type this.

Dr. Levine is suggesting a lighter-weight spring might be the answer.  (I fly to California to see him this July, and he will make a better assessment when he sees me in person.)  I'm wondering:
  • if a lighter-weight spring will be heavy enough to close it all the way so I don't have to tape it shut at night, and
  • If a lighter-weight spring is heavy enough to close the eye, will the eyelid still not open up enough to reasonably look as good as the good eye?

If anyone out there has had the spring implanted again after an unsuccessful first try, I'd sure like to hear from them.  As I fly July 6, I'm hoping I'll hear from someone before then.  I was just reminded of this ANA site today at the Fort Mill, SC support group meeting--or I would have asked before now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:15:46 pm by Madelyn_Beltz »
4-5 cm tumor removed Jan. 1985 in Ann Arbor, MI (suboccipital approach)
Left side nerves severed:  balance, hearing, facial
Tongue to facial nerve operation Feb. 1987 by House Inst. in Los Angeles
Eyelid spring implanted July 2006 by Dr. Levine in Los Angeles.

gms

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 04:54:24 pm »
Madelyn,
I like you had the eyelid spring placed by Dr. Levine.  I was not at all pleased with my results.  I had it removed by another Dr. one year following its placement.  You can read about my experience under the post treatment facial category.  Sorry to hear you are having problems with yours.  I thought the surgery to place the spring was a miserable experience and for me it wasn't worth it.  I wish I would have waited and tried other options first.   I  hope you can find a better option that will work for you.  I hope you had some progress when you visited your Doctor earlier this month.  He wanted to adjust mine, and I just wanted it out, no regrets with that choice.