Author Topic: Gradual Hearing loss Chicago  (Read 6449 times)

Sunny22

Gradual Hearing loss Chicago
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:58:57 am »
Hi All... Total Newbie here... I've been browsing around the site. What a great resource! I've had a gradual hearing loss (right side) and I was recently referred to Dr. Mark Wiet by a friend. I saw him at EIC thi past week. His exam was extremely thorough but he still ordered an MRI to get a better idea of what is going on. I figure it's routine, but I was wondering how many of you experienced a gradual loss and then were diagnosed with an AN? Dr. Wiet calmed my fears immensely, but I thought I would pose the question to you. Thanks!

New girl

Re: Gradual Hearing loss Chicago
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »
Hi Sunny22,

I had some slight high frequency hearing loss diagnosed about 6 years ago.  I had no other symptoms so that ENT doc said I should just monitor the hearing loss.  I didnt monitor it again until this year when I had more hearing loss and constant ringing in the same ear.  I went to a different ENT doc who sent me for an MRI.  I also has some mild balance issues which I attributed to being out of shape but now I believe to be tumor related.  Hopefully you dont have an AN.  It is treatable if you do.  Thankfully you can rule this out since your doc is sending you for an MRI now.

Best wishes! Let us know how it goes.  :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:06:29 pm »
Sunny ~

Hi, and welcome.

I suffered gradual unilateral hearing loss prior my AN diagnosis (via an MRI scan).  However, a loss of equilibrium is also usually associated with an acoustic neuroma.  This is not absolute, just common.  As you know, there are many causes of unilateral hearing loss besides an acoustic neuroma.  However, the MRI results should determine whether or not you have an acoustic neuroma.  Of course I hope that you do not but if you do, we'll be here to inform, advise and support you.  Please let us know the MRI results.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sunny22

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:01:04 pm »
Thanks so much for your kind words and insight! Luckily I feel as though I am in good hands if the result is an AN. My friend's neighbor has a son that had a tumor removed by Dr. Mark Wiet and a neurosurgeon. I hear it went very well so I suppose that's half the battle! I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:59 am »
Hi, Sunny.

I had AN surgery with Dr. Robert Battista of the Ear Institute of Chicago (along with Dr. Robert Kazan, the neurosurgeon that this group uses).  Dr. Battista also implanted my BAHA.

If it turns out you do have an AN, and it's not too large, look into radiation before you decide on surgery.  I'm not sure if either of the Wiets do radiation, but Dr. Battista does.  Radiation can be a great alternative to surgery; it's worth checking out.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:26:09 am »
I had some wonkyness, and saw an ENT and a neurologist. There was no diagnosis. My hearing started going south, and my parrot even noticed it by repeating mine often said "what did you say??" I just thought that my hearing loss was related to my age. After a violent series of wonkyness and vomiting, an MRI discovered my AN.

I always thought it unusual that an ENT did not order an MRI. He told me he thought it was a neurological problem and sent me away. There are lots of reasons for hearing loss and the MRI is the only way to find an AN. Let us know what your MRI says.

James

Sunny22

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:14:03 am »
Thanks James! Maybe I should get a parrot! :-)

And Jan, thanks for the info.  Dr. Mark Wiet does do gamma knife.  He also spoke with me about Dr. Kazan.  I've done some research on him as well and he seems very accomplished.  I feel very lucky to be so close to this practice and not have to travel anywhere.  I should mention the fact that I went through EIC because that is where my friend said her neighbor's son saw Dr. Mark.  I found out that he is also on staff at Rush which would actually be better for me, but he was totally booked there and I couldn't get in. It seemed as though their neurosurgery department was larger there, but it's good to know you had Dr. Kazan in on your surgery. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:22:20 am by Sunny22 »

glewis

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 10:32:48 am »
Dr. Wiet is very good.  Another good doctor in Chicago is Dr. Leonnetti out of Loyolla.  He and Wiet are the 2 best you can talk to in the Chicago area.  The MRI is absolutely necessary.  It will identify if you have an AN.  Which if you do catching in the earlier the better.

I had an Acoustic Neuroma removed in 2001.  Also Chicago area.

Good luck!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 12:28:27 pm »
Sunny -

Dr. Kazan is fantastic.  Excellent neurosurgeon, very good at what he does; he's the only neurosurgeon that the docs @ Chicago Ear use for AN surgery.  If they do GK @ Alexian Brothers Med Ctr they only use Dr. Patrick Sweeney, a radiation oncologist.  I'm not sure who they use @ Rush.

I'm not a personal fan of Mark Wiet's - don't care for his bedside manner, or lack thereof - but I've talked to patients of his who like him.

Dr. Leonetti (not part of Chicago Ear; he's out of Loyola) is one famous for his lack of bedside manner - and his 24/7 tan  ;) - but he's a very good surgeon from what I know.

I'm obviously biased, because he did a stellar job for me, but I can't say enough good things about Dr. Battista.  In my book, he's the perfect doc; highly experienced, compassionate, and never too busy to talk - even just about life.  He's very down to earth; a regular guy.  I never leave his office feeling bad.  Richard Wiet is also an absolute gem - and he really knows his stuff.

We all choose docs for different reasons; you'll know the "one" or "ones" when you find them. 

Good luck,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sunny22

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 09:58:24 am »
Hi all... I want to thank you for the help and support.  My MRI came back normal and my hearing loss has stabilized.  I feel very fortunate! Dr. Mark Wiet suggested we follow up in 3 months and going forward, I will be working with the audiologists. 

What a great experience I had at EIC.  The audiologists are wonderful too.  Jan, had you seen Dr. Mark Wiet as a patient? I was concerned when I read your comment made about his bedside manner before I had the MRI results. I saw him again in the office to go over the results, and he couldn't have been nicer! They must be a great group in general.

Again, thanks for all of your support... 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:34 pm »
Sunny -

have not seen Mark Wiet as a patient - have met him on 3 separate occasions and under very different circumstances each time.   None of these times was I even close to being impressed, which puzzles me when I think of the kind of doctor his father is; but I won't elaborate on the open Forum. 

He's definitely not a doctor for me - but I'm glad you are happy with him which is all that really matters.

Not every doc is for every patient - in the AN world and elsewhere.

Best,

Jan