Author Topic: Questions for after surgery  (Read 3067 times)

designergal

Questions for after surgery
« on: February 04, 2011, 10:12:38 am »
Hey all....

I am scheduled for surgery on March 1st and had some questions about recovery!

While I understand recovery time is different for everyone I am wondering if there is any kind of "lifting" limitations.  I have 3 small children and was trying to work on my schedule after my surgery.  I have a 7 month old and think I should keep him in daycare during the day while I recover.  I am afraid of overdoing it if I am taking care of him alone during the day while my husband works.  I typically keep him on Monday's and send him Tuesday- Friday.  I think we may be better off if I put him in daycare on Monday's as well at least for the first few weeks after I get back home. 

Any suggestions or comments?

lori67

Re: Questions for after surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:16:52 pm »
If putting him in daycare that extra day is an option, I think I would probably do that.  Better to plan on it and not need to than to be caught not having made arrangements.

I had a 10 month old when I had my surgery and my husband was able to take off 2 weeks to stay home and help out.  After he went back to work, I just made sure things were set up in the house to make things easier.  We put a pack and play downstairs for naps so I wouldn't have to bring her upstairs, and I made sure everything she'd need was downstairs too - diapers, change of clothes, etc.  10 months is much easier in some respects than 7 months because at least I could get my daughter to help me out by letting her climb into her highchair with just a little help from me, rather than lifting her.  Although in hindsight, I think I created a monster because at age 4 1/2 she thinks she's a little monkey and can climb anything!   ;D

I'm not sure how old your other children are.  My other daughter was 4 when I had my surgery.  It's amazing what you can get them to do to help out mommy while she's not feeling well.  They really like to feel like they're helping you, so maybe you can get your older kids to help out.  Mine would feed the dogs, help with the dishes and loved doing windows.  My windows were never cleaner - at least on the lower part.   ::)

I found that a little advanced planning (freezing meals ahead of time, stocking up on necessities and letting the school and daycare know what is going on) went a long way.

Good luck on the 1st!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mark241

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:47:07 pm »
Hi Designergal, my Docs have told me not to lift anything over 10lbs for the first 4 weeks, hope it helps, and best of luck for a successfull operation and speedy recovery.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:37:39 pm »
Hi Designergal,

You've already gotten some good advice but in addition to what Lori and Mark have suggested, my doc didn't want me to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for a while and he also advised me to sneeze through my mouth rather than my nose.  Both of these things are extra preventive steps to avoid a possible CSF leak.  Will your husband be posting for you to let us know how you are? 

Best wishes for the 1st.
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:41:57 pm »
Designergal.    Even after the 4 weeks or so that the no lifting or bending or straining order is over.   The head will tell you if it is too soon when you do go ahead with that movement and it feels heavy,achy or what odd feeling that it does.      It does get better in time but time may vary.                   I agree the day care may be needed as just the tiredness varies in all of us and may be a factor too/                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care