Author Topic: AN growth  (Read 3896 times)

Jeremy/Erica

AN growth
« on: October 10, 2007, 09:59:54 am »
Question:

What is the normal growth rate for An's?  I want to make sure my wife and I are moving fast enough to be cautious but not so fast that we make a rushed decision.

Our initial consult with our radiologist led us t believe tha ANs grow very slowly; essentially the advice given was when we decide to do the procedure is more of a lifestyle choice than one of medical necessity (as long as we do it within 6 months).  After reading some posts I am uncomfortable with this assessment.

Is rapid growth abnormal?  is there anywhere I can go for data?

Thanks for the help.

Best,

Jeremy/Erica

jb

• My MRI sequence:
Re: AN growth
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:00:55 pm »
I think 2 mm/year is considered the 'average' growth rate, although some grow more rapidly and some don't grow at all.  I've also read that medium/large AN's tend to be faster growers, especially after they protrude beyond the internal auditory canal.  My AN was 18 mm at diagnosis and 21 mm at treatment, 13 months later.  I would agree there is no reason to rush into any treatment decision at the current size.

Besides this website, you may want to look at http://www.anarchive.org.  There's a lot of information there as well.

2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:07:19 pm »
Yes they do grow slowly ... I think the average rate of 2mm a year....if at all ....(my personal theory is a lot of people have small ones -- live a normal life and die -- and never know of it)

BUT .. and that's a big but ... this can change .. Hormones seem to effect to growth rate..(grow faster!)   (example: pregnancy and teenagers seem to have a very fast growth rate)

So .. I would get it taken care of, but don't feel rush .. but don't put it off ether!!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Mark

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 01:36:49 pm »
most studies show AN's have an average growth rate of approximately 2 mm / year. However, it is also commomly recognized that indivudual growth rates are not always linear. in other words it can be in spurts. For example , it may not move in a year and then grow 3-4 mm the next year. So while the rule of thumb is slow , there can be periods of more rapid change. As long as you are monitoring every 6 months or so, it should not be a problem

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Sheryl

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 05:57:17 pm »
I don't have an AN but something quite similar and close to the brainstem.  I have a 9th cranial nerve schwannoma which was incidentally discovered after a bad headache. It was felt that the headache was due to a blood pressure problem and not the brain tumor.   It was originally measured in November of 2001 at approximately 9 mm although upon second opinion from a "neuroradiologist", felt it was a little bit larger.  Now, 6-1/2 years later my last MRI showed it at 12 mm with no pressure on the brainstem and hardly any symptoms.  My next MRI is due in November.  So, I guess I've been lucky as 3 mm in 6-1/2 years is below the average.  I also have found out that they use 2 mm as "technical difference" - different machine, different technician, or maybe even your head was off one millimeter in the head rest!!  Best to take your time, research your options, and do followup with MRI's.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Mark H

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:43:24 pm »
My AN's (I affectionately refer to them as the twins) have stayed at about 2mm give or take in size for a couple years. I'll be going in for my next MRI (head and spine) early next year. ;D
Mark

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:08:59 am »
What did you read in posts that made you uncomfortable with the "sometime in the next six months" recommendation? Or did it just seem too nonchalant? The average of 2mm/year is an average, but the spread is fairly wide. There are quite a few that don't grow at all, and some that grow 5mm or more in a year. But even if you have a fast grower, you have some time. Its only when the brain stem is significantly compressed that quicker action is required.

Although it seems like a lot of information to digest at first, after two months you will probably have most of the picture. You can keep getting more opinions, of course, but by then, you will probably have a pretty good idea of what you are going to do. When that happens, you then just have to hold your breath, cross your fingers, and make the call to schedule it.

Don't worry, you'll get there soon enough.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 08:18:06 pm »
Jeremy/Erica -

generally ANs grow very slowly, but that is not alway the case.  I had my diagnostic MRI at the beginning of April and by the time I had surgery to remove my AN at the end of May, it had almost doubled in size.  From what my surgeons told me, this is somewhat unheard of and it was definitely unexpected, but it did happen.  No one has any idea why mine grew so fast - hormones aren't really an issue, as I'm neither a teenager, pregnant, nor menopausal.  Basically all patients are different.  The majority of ANs grow slowly, but there are some that don't follow the "majority" rule.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways