Author Topic: Baha or not baha ?  (Read 13019 times)

Lotty mac

Baha or not baha ?
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:52:17 am »
Wow nearly a year post translab and I am finally getting my head around my options for my hearing (or lack of) on my rh side. I mostly feel great, some slight balance issues, mostly when tired and my scar sight is just ever so slightly irritating, of course im deaf on my right side. i had posted previously about the baha but really at that stage had no idea what any of it meant - or if it was an option.

Who would have thought hearing in one ear only could impact your life so greatly although I still everyday count my blessings it's time to assess my options.

Being in Australia I understand things will be different to the USA but would welcome ALL feedback positive or negative in regards to the baha, I will be meeting with my surgeon in a little over a month and am compiling a long list of questions as in the first instance it seems this is the best option for me.

Things that I have already thought of but not limited to -
Will I be able to hear on the phone - deaf side?
Can it be removed (permanently) if needed?
Will it affect ( eg please get rid of) my tinnitus?
Will I be able to sense what direction sound is coming from?
How big is the unit? Easily noticeable?
Is care / maintenance full on?
Does the implant hurt ?

LOL - I'm quite sure his head will spin when I'm done !!!

All feedback welcome and appreciated
Lot :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Baha or not baha ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:14:16 am »
Hi Lotty Mac .....

It sounds like you are doing very well post-translab.  Congratulations!!

Remember, I am not a doctor, but here are my answers to the questions you posed:

1) You will not be able to hear on the phone on your AN side ear.  Translab surgery takes your whole inner ear and the auditory nerve is severed so it is essentially a "dead" ear.  I have not actually tried it, but I suppose theoretically one could put the phone to a BAHA processor and hear, but you would not be able to talk into the phone at the same time.

2) Yes, the titanium abutment can be surgically removed but the skull would have to be covered again so it would be a more significant procedure than putting it in in the first place.  Normally (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) if you no longer want the abutment there, the screw on the top is removed and the post is left in the skull and possibly the skin could grow over it.

3) Unfortunately a bone-anchored hearing device has little or no effect on tinnitus.  The only advantage is with the ability to hear from both sides with a BAHA, it enables one to better focus attention to other normal sounds in the environment instead of on the tinnitus.

4) Technically, you will not have directionality with a BAHA because the sound coming through the processor is being transmitted to your only hearing ear, along with normal sounds from the hearing ear.  However, in some situations, I truly can distinguish the slight difference in sound quality and have a sense that something is coming from my deaf side.  It is a brain thing to be able to tell the difference.

5) There are some differences in the actual size of BAHA processors, depending on whether you go with the Oticon Medical Ponto systems or the Cochlear BAHA systems.  Ponto systems come in four different colors so mine is totally hidden by my hair.  I do not know what colors Cochlear has.  I urge you to check out both web sites to see about the size on someone's head and for additional information.  See: http://www.oticonmedical.com/Medical/OurProducts/The%20Ponto%20System/Freedom%20of%20choice.aspx and http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/recipients/recipient-support/baha

6) Not quite sure what you mean by your care/maintenance question.  Once your abutment is fully osseointegrated and you are able to attach the processor, your audiologist will program it specifically to your hearing needs.  In my case it took a couple of trips back to her for "tweaking" after I had worn it awhile in my normal routines.  I have three settings in mine ..... normal use, music, and noisy environments.  It is very easy to change between them.  There is a volume setting on it, and there is a learning feature in the device that soon learned how I needed/wanted it.  I rarely change the volume now.  Other than that, you must make sure you keep the area around the abutment free from dry/flaking skin by regular shampooing and brushing with a soft brush (comes with your kit) as needed.  As for the device itself, there has been no maintenance to mine, other than making sure I do not drop it.

7) Normally there is no pain with the implant once you have healed.  Actually I never had any pain from day one with mine since it was put in at the time of my translab surgery (with which, of course, there was some pain).  If it gets infected, there would be some discomfort, naturally.  That is why it is important to keep it clean.

That's my attempt to answer.  I will say that not everyone has good healing, like I do, so there are no guarantees with any surgical procedure.  I put my processor on right after my shower/shampooing in the morning and leave it on until I go to bed at night and rarely think about it inbetween.  In my case, it was the best decision I could possibly have made and I love my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro.

Feel free to PM me or ask any more questions.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kixit

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:05 pm »
I agree with everything CHD63 stated. I have had my Baha since Nov 2012 (surgery on 8/12). I have had it tweaked once ( I have trouble with low or soft tones). There has been no discomfort from the abutment but I am still somewhat tender around the abutment site at times. I love the Baha--mine is chestnut color to match my hair. It's not really noticable but I really don't care who sees it. After going through this AN journey, I consider it "warrior" status, lol.

I still have trouble hearing fully in crowded areas or with loud background noise (that may go with normal hearing people as well). I have heard that it takes people longer to adjust to the Baha if they have been deaf for a long period of time. I was deaf just a short period of time (since Feb 2012) and have adjusted fine. The Baha has no effect for balance, tinnitis or bobblehead.

My BP100 is approx the height of a quarter and very lightweight. Everytime I get into the shower, I check the side of my head to make sure I have removed it--it's that lightweight and unnoticeable!

I will say this; my insurance declined the Baha at first because it was considered a hearing aid, but with Cochlears help with an appeal, I was able to get my Baha.

Good luck!!   8)

left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

Gone to the Farm

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:07:21 pm »
Hello all,
I am trying to decide wheather to go straight to the BAHA as my doctor in Dallas suggested or try the CROS first.  I have gone through many of the discussion strings and I see folks pleased with both.  I realize it is a personal decision, but its also important and I want to make the correct one.

I work in an industrial environment, but also spend as much time outside as I can.  I'm wonder how weather proof both systems are.

Please let me know if I am missing a pertainate discussion on another string.
"Stopped up" ear Feb 2011
Finally went to ENT Oct 2011 - MRI
Nov 11 - W & W 6 month
Cyberknife radation July 12
Bi-Cros H20 July 13
AN 2.2 cm X 1.7 cm X 1.5 cm

TexasSprinter

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:01 am »
Newbie:  I'm also new to the forum and to SSD (Dec. 20 AN surgery; hearing lost on right side).  I have been considering both BAHA/Ponto and Phonak Cros.  I'm starting later this week a 60-day trial of the Phonak Cros H2O, which has a size 13 battery (lasts longer) and is water resistant.  If I don't like it I can return it and pay only $200 or so.  I see little downside to trying the Cros (even though I'm leaning toward the BAHA) so long as you can spare the $200 if you don't like it (and your doctor will let you return it for a relatively modest fee)

TexasSprinter

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:47 am »
Sorry--I now realize that "Newbie" is a status; my reply was directed to Gone to the Farm

Lotty mac

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 02:36:45 am »
Thankyou all for your responses especially CHD63 ! so detailed and much appreciated.

Great question for my list "gone to the farm" - water proof or not? I believe the baha processor is not but not sure about rain?

I really think I want to try the CROS as well as it is " less permanent" but I think in Australia the baha is totally covered by my insurance but the CROS is only partly funded...?? So sad it has to come down to money !

Again all feedback good or bad appreciated ! :)
Thanks

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:14:46 am »
Hi Gone to the Farm .....

If you work in an industrial environment, as much as I love my Ponto, I cannot in good conscience recommend a baha, unless you wear protective headgear that is custom designed to allow for the processor to fit under it.  The processor must be kept dry and mine, at least, whistles in very strong wind.  When I wear the hood on a jacket/coat, I have to pull it away from the processor to prevent feedback.  That being said, many people have taken their glasses or helmets or hard hats to their doctors before surgery to assist in the doctor's choice of placement of the abutment.  The abutment is normally placed as close to behind the deaf ear as possible, depending upon the thickness/density of the skull in the area.

In my case, because of a previous retrosigmoid surgery and at the same time a translab surgery, my abutment is slightly farther back on my head than others.  All this is to say, there is some flexibility on placement depending upon individual needs and skulls.

Short answer is, the baha processor is not waterproof ..... but I don't think any hearing aid is, for that matter so it may be the same issue with a CROS.

Big difference is the cost of a baha is usually covered by insurance companies where the CROS or other hearing aids is not.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:49 pm »
Is there a down side? SSD is the down side, and you now have an opportunity to fix that. I agree with all the above statements. My "down sides" are all better than being SSD. I like to wear hats, but my BAHA is in the way, so if I turn my BAHA 1/4 turn...lying on its side, then I can wear a hat. When the wind is blowing, I turn it off...too much wind noise. I turn it off in a loud car...picks up road noise. Like Kixit, I double check before I get in the shower...wish I had a dollar for every time I got in the shower wearing it.

No, there are not any down sides. Great product. Get it and enjoy your life to its fullest.

James

Gone to the Farm

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:19 pm »
Thanks you Clarice, Texassprinter and James for your guidance and replies. 
You make a very good point about learning when to use the systems or not.

A little more info for any guest reading these post and maybe Lotty mac.
I have spoken with 2 audiologist.  I said she had several patients very happy with the CROS but not much experience with the BAHA.  The other, who is in my surgeons office said his experience with the CROS is patients either love it or are disappointed.  He said people usually figure over very fast if its the right system for them.  I'm not sure about Australia, but I did find out Texas has a law that allows anyone to try a hearing aid like the CROS for 30 days and return it if they are not happy. 

I'm really starting to lean towards giving the CROS a 'test drive'.

It's so wonderful to have them forum to hear from other in the same boat.
"Stopped up" ear Feb 2011
Finally went to ENT Oct 2011 - MRI
Nov 11 - W & W 6 month
Cyberknife radation July 12
Bi-Cros H20 July 13
AN 2.2 cm X 1.7 cm X 1.5 cm

TexasSprinter

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:17 pm »
Gone to the Farm:  I'm also in DFW and I know Soundbite has a local representative.  I don't think I'm going in the Soundbite direction but if you're interested you may look into whether the behind-the-ear device is water proof (the in-the-mouth device obviously is). FYI here is a link to a doc on the Phonak web page that describes the Cros H2O as water and dust resistant.

http://www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_hq/b2b/en/about_phonak/press_releases/2012/Press_Release_Phonak_CROS_Spring_12.pdf

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:20:53 am »
Sorry, late to the party; my father is ill and I've been off the Forum for weeks.

My vote - definitely BAHA.  Got my implant on 3/4/2008 and absolutely love it; have never regretted it a day in my life.  To answer your questions:

Will I be able to hear on the phone - deaf side?

Yes, if you are wearing your processor on your deaf side and hold the phone to your ear, you will hear the phone conversation.

Can it be removed (permanently) if needed?

The top (abutment) can be unscrewed - the titanium rod would remain imbedded in your skull - eventually the skin on your scalp would grow over the area.

Will it affect ( eg please get rid of) my tinnitus?

No.  A BAHA implant has no effect on tinnitus.  Won't eliminate it, won't make you have it, won't make it better or worse.

Will I be able to sense what direction sound is coming from?

Although lots of people will tell you no, lots of BAHA wearers gain directionality over time.  Happens for a lot of us  :)

How big is the unit? Easily noticeable?

About the size of top of my thumb.  Not easily noticeable - especially for women.  You can get the processor in a color that blends in with your hair, and it's easily covered by most hairstyles (even with short hair).

Is care / maintenance full on?

After the initial healing, no.  Only "maintenance" I do is wash the site every morning when I shampoo my hair.

Does the implant hurt ?

No.  Some may have pain right after the implant - the doc will give you meds - but typically the implant doesn't hurt.  I even had my surgery while wide awake - only local anesthesia (lidocaine) injected in my skull.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:12 am »
Well, I'm sorry I don't get on the forum enough anymore.....but I did have messages from 2 of the people on this post.
SO.....
I AM one that tried the Phonak CROS last summer in hopes of not having to have surgery for a BAHA.  WELL, for me it wasn't overly pleasant.   I honestly look back and think part of it was that my local audiologist who set me up with the CROS was NOT very well skilled with it, yet.  She had only had a few others with it.  So when it seemed like it wasn't working barely, she tried to adjust it and it didn't seem to help much.   One of my biggest issues was that I am very gag sensitive.  The one piece/side of the CROS set has a tube that goes in the ear.  Almost EVERY time I put them in/on I would gag and be annoyed by the thing in my ear.  My audiologist did change it out to a different, smaller end piece/cone but I still had issues.

I went through batteries (2, one for each side) rather FAST.....like a couple days if wearing all the time.  ANNOYING for me.   I honestly wasn't seeing much of a difference.   I felt frustrated overall and had been back to the audiologist a few times.   For awhile, I also thought 'maybe' it was cause my hair is SOOO thick....maybe I couldn't hear the sounds good cause my hair was blocking it LOL

I did the trial thing and DID end up returning mine.   I know Many people have had good outcome with their CROS, but I am finding my brain is just sensitive to the hearing issue  :-\      After dealing with a different audiologist (for a BAHA) that also does CROS, I had learned a bit more......maybe I would have been better off with a different audiologist....who knows.

Anyways, I DID end up going for the BAHA.   I had surgery for the abutment in October 2012, almost 3 years post AN surgery.   I got my BAHA (cochlears BP100) on December 19th.   It has been rather interesting!   I personally think it works a bit better than the CROS, and I L O V E that fact nothing is IN my ear.  Plus I wear glasses & prescription sunglasses and the CROS was noticeable (to me) with the glasses (mostly my sunglasses cause they are a thicker plastic frame).   But the BAHA is no where at all affected by my glasses!!!  ((I DID make sure my Dr. made a mark of idea where to put the BAHA abutment while I still had my glasses on so it didn't interfere......I've heard where a few people don't do that or their doctor don't think to and after the surgery they find their glasses hit by the BAHA and creates feedback))

I was told by my dr and audiologist to be sure to give my brain Plenty time to adjust to the BAHA and the sounds.   I have found that now being close to 4 months after getting my processor that it is better.  But I do still need to go in and see about a little 'tweak' for sound.   I was told that is nothing normal and there is LOTS of room to 'play with it'.

I'd recommend if you are able to do a trial of the CROS, why not try it.?.?   Although, many may have to pay....like myself....a bit if you do decide to return it for the use & the time, etc.  I paid $200.  BUT hey.....for me it was WAY worth the trial ;-)

OH.....and one thing I LOVE about my BAHA, there is only 1 battery and it can last me for close to 2 weeks!  So nice not to have to change it often.
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:03:16 am »
A KEY thing I forgot to mention.....is before really going into many details, see if your insurance would even cover the BAHA.    There is Help to get an appeal if needed, but not a guarantee for coverage.    I don't think I have seen a person yet that has had the CROS covered.?.?

Good luck on whatever you all choose to do!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Paul F

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 04:43:25 pm »
Just to add a little more info, I have had both the Cros and the BAHA, the Cros is what I am using now.  Medicare fully covered my BAHA and the VA supplied the Cros, just more options if your qualified.