Author Topic: Another new awaiting MRI results....  (Read 16798 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Another new awaiting MRI results....
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:57 pm »
I did post the actual numbers, but here is the actual text "There is a markedly enhancing mass at the porous acousticus of the internal auditory canal on the left with mild intracanalicular extension measuring 8.1 cm in cephalocaudad direction, 7.8 cm in the transverse diameter and 8.2 cm in the AP diameter. Findings compatible with acoustic neuroma or meningioma."  Then it says down in the IMPRESSIONS section: "Markedly enhancing medial intracnalicular mass on the left extending through the porous acousticus measuring 8.1 x 7.8 x 8.2 cm compatible with acoustic neuroma." Soooooooo I am thinking, unless they got the units of measurment off, it is indeed in the 8cm range.  As I stated before, this doc is new so maybe he's not aware of the significance of an 8cm AN is...
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 11:48:02 pm »
Must be a typo.  ???

Intracanalicular, as in "Markedly enhancing medial intracanalicular mass on the left," means in the canal, not out in the cerebellopontine angle (CPA). 

That limits it to about 1.5 cm in size. I suspect it is in fact measured in mm, and is less than 1 cm in size. I can assure you the radiologist would have had much more to say if there was a tumor the size of an orange in your head.

I think you have one about the same size as mine, in which case watch and wait, radiation, and surgery are all possible courses of action.

I assume you will call them and verify this. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LisaP

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 05:19:51 am »
Hi Jaylogs,

Keep us posted on the actual size, sounds like a lot of confusion going on.  Mine is considered small at this point in mm.  Let's see what my next MRI in Oct says.   Good luck!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

suboo73

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:12:06 am »
Must be a typo.  ???
I assume you will call them and verify this. :)  Steve

Jaylogs,  Hope you find the answer to this questionable information soon...  I have to agree with Steve, sounds like a typo.
Others here on the forum have pointed out errors in MRI reports.  We are all human!

Please keep us update.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:56 am »
Thank you all for your concerns on this, first thing this morning I got up and made a call to the radiologist that read this and am having him confirm this.  As soon as I know, I'll let you all know. (Sooner rather than later, I hope!)  :'(
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:55:14 am »
GIANORMOUS HUGS!!

WE are here for you. Let us know once the CM or MM is clarified. I will pray it is a "typo" and is MM- nevertheless we are still here to offer support either way.

(I actually walked into the place where my MRI was done and asked for a copy of the CD and radiologist report... it was provided in minutes- once I showed my ID. This is your right, in the USA, to have the copies in your possession... nevertheless the "CM or MM?" needs to be clarified.)

The waiting game is a killer- I empathize. Hang in there... another HUG.

DHM :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:16:15 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

epc1970

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 10:50:47 am »
Glad you are getting clarifcation to this mystery. If it is indeed CM then you will be in the "large" category which means that your only option will be surgery-at 3.8 CM surgery was my only option. Steve made a good point that there would probably been mention of the tumor extending into the CPA angle- I know that mine was at 3.8 CM. Either way, my advice in just receivind an AN diagnosis is to do your research into your treatment options and to seek treatment from a Dr with tons of AN expirence. Good Luck and keep us posted on those measurements!
Erin

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 02:05:38 pm »
Hi, jaylogs ~

I'm sorry you have to deal with the AN diagnosis and, in addition, this confusion regarding the actual size.  I suspect the person who transcribed the doctor's MRI report either misunderstood millimeters as centimeters or simply committed a typographical error.  I find it difficult to believe that the MRI actually showed an 8 centimeter tumor.  ANs are rare and ANs that large are rarer, still - but not unknown.  My AN was almost 5 cm and when the neurosurgeon saw it on the film, he immediately scheduled my surgery for 5 days later.  I believe he would have had me in surgery that day, had it been possible, he was that concerned about the size and the fact that the tumor was pressing very hard on my brainstem.  He later told me that he was very surprised I hadn't had even more severe symptoms or developed hydrocephalus.  Fortunately, the partial resection surgery went well  and I emerged with no complications.  I trust you'll soon have an answer as to the actual size of your AN and can then begin to focus on treatment, rather than being in suspense about the size of the thing.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:39:46 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 03:20:40 pm »
Well, I FINALLY got word that this was indeed in mm's, NOT cm's! WOOOHOOOOOO...thank you all for the encouragement. Now I am back to the point of where I can actually have options again, which is always a good thing.  Like I said before, my appt with the neurotologist is on the 1st so we'll see what happens then!  Whew!  ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 03:42:04 pm »
jaylog ~

Congratulations on finally getting the actual size of your AN clarified - and that its 8 mm not 8 cm.  Options are good! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 04:33:48 pm »
Yeah!!!

It WAS a TYPO after-all!!!!!

Lots of options- be sure to explore them. Well you are officially one of us- WELCOME!!

HUG

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

imnocleaver

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 06:48:33 pm »
Welcome from another relative newbie to the site.  Such a relief to read that it's in mm rather than cm.  On the downside, though, now you can't say this about it: 
... But oh well, I have never done things half assed in my life  ;).

Slacker. :D

5mm left IAC AN dx 7/13/09
January 2010 MRI showed no measurable growth
W&W!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 08:40:28 pm »
When I first read your measurements, I thought WOWZER!!  Then I thought...well, THAT MUST be a mistake, because you wouldn't even have gone home.  You would have been hearing things like STAT, and put on a gurney real fast, and headed to the operating room!!  Whew!!  So happy you are so not doing that!  Egad!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sgerrard

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 11:30:41 pm »
Seems to me that you have reduced the size of your tumor by 90% just by talking about it!

Now on to the questions about treatment options and doctors. Back to business as usual. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 03:31:54 am »
So Steve, does that mean if I keep talking about this, my AN will eventually just disappear altogether? Woohoo! :)  And Sue, yes you are right about all that STAT and gurney things. I guess the only lingering bit of doubt came about from my relatively new doctor's experiences with this...wasn't sure if this kid knew what the difference was between a golf ball and a pea in these things.   ::) On a side note, I told you all I had a doc appointment on the 1st, but now that I have calmed down about a lot of things I started really checking out this ANA website, and in it there's the physician's directory. I had read a post about a Dr. Brackman in Los Angeles who was supposed to be really good.  So I saw TWO Brackman's in there, and I clicked on the one I thought was the the previously mentioned doctor. Well, it wasn't, but it just happened to be a doctor right here where I live, in Phoenix AZ. Further research found that he works at the Barrow Neurological Institute, which I am finding out is top rated for all things head related.  Sooo I am going to make a call there first thing in the morning and see them as well. Different opinions are good, right? Ok, I've rambled on enough.  Thanks again everyone for your wonderful responses, except for you Imnocleaver...but you may have hit the nail on the head with that Slacker comment, but promise me you won't spread it any further than here, ok? LOL  ;D
Regards, Jay