Author Topic: We Did It!  (Read 6864 times)

Jeanlea

Re: We Did It!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 05:15:45 pm »
Congratulations, David!!  I knew you would do it.  Great time too.  You are smarter than me.  I'm training for my second half-marathon which will be next May.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 05:36:25 pm »
David -

congratulations to you and Brittania  ;D

What an accomplishment for both of you!  And a great milestone for you!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 05:44:02 pm »
David-

You continue to impress and amaze me!  I can't wait to see the pictures!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 12:14:26 pm »
Hooray for David and Daughter!!    Congratulations on a job well done.   Next you can come up here and get on a team for the Hood to Coast relay held every August.  Or you can organize your own team and call it Dads and Daughters and find some other dad/daughter combos to get in on it with you!   See, I'm good at thinking up ideas for other people!   ;)   

http://www.hoodtocoast.com/

Our son was a participant  when he was on the track team at his high school.  They had an awesome coach who really encouraged everyone so well, that he talked our son (also a David) into doing that for 3 straight years.  He said he will never do it again, though!!  :D   And the thing was, my husband and I volunteered to help out for two of the races.  We were talking about that one day recently, probably when the last Hood to Coast was going on.  We went up to the boondocks and were there all night long directing runners to the right road.  I mean, until sunrise!  Egad, what were we thinking??  Actually, I think somebody was supposed to relieve us, and they never showed up.  But this was back in about 1990, so we were younger and stronger and dumber, I guess!  Still, it was fun to be a part of this large undertaking that happens here every year. 

Sue, a little older, a little wiser, in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 01:48:47 pm »
David,
Are you sure?
M
Thanks everybody.  And DHM, it was a half Marathon -- 13 miles.  I ran one Marathon before -- this gave me a new found appreciation of what I accomplished. My surgery was December 3, 2007.   My daughter is 25.  We ran together the whole race -- although there were times when I am sure we did not enjoy each others company -- as I am sure that CindyJ and Marci will understand.  My objective was to see my daughter through her first.  It's up to her what she wants to acheive from now on.  I may be an over-achiever -- but I am no longer interested in anything that has Marathon in the title.

http://www.atheneeimporters.com/marathon.htm
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 06:31:49 pm »
LOL, Marci!
I'm thinking I could make one exception.  Especially since it doesn't take any training.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 07:02:17 pm »
I don't know, David, you might need a little weight training for your elbow.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 07:20:53 pm »
That is amazing David - way to go!!!!! I know you have both been training hard. How exciting for the two of you, can't wait for the pictures. No stupid AN is ever going to stand in our way ever!
Michelle  ;D
I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.  ~ Edward Everett Hale
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

LADavid

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 11:06:27 pm »
Thanks again everybody.  I'm still hobbling around a bit -- so is my daughter.  But I'd like to repeat something Michelle just said:

"No stupid AN is going to stand in our way ever!"

I believe it.

David

1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

LADavid

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 11:12:59 pm »
PS Sara, no problems with the elbow training.  I grew up in Pittsburgh.
PSPS Jean,  I am humbled.  Marci.  Cindy.  What do you think?  One more?
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 06:05:15 am »
David -

I vote YES.

After all, it will be you running it - not me  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 12:47:12 pm »
I thought we were talking about beer.  If so, then I vote yes.   ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

texsooner

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 01:30:24 pm »
Congrats David to you and your daughter on running and finishing the half marathon....can't wait to see the pics.  I do know what an accomplishment that is. I ran my first half marathon last January(before I knew I had this egg in my head). I told my wife and kids before the AN surgery a couple of months ago that I plan to run it again here in Houston in January, 2009....it was good motivation for me to get up and get going as soon as I could after surgery.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

mema

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 08:51:16 am »
David,

Congratulations on the marathon.  But in my opinion the best part of running your marathon was you did it with your daughter.  How cool to have such a great relationship with her.  Count yourself lucky.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

LADavid

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 08:57:04 pm »
Well since everyone is getting in on posting pictures this week and Nancy gave me encouragement yesterday, I thought I'd get around to posting the race pictures.  Unfortunately, we didn't do a good job of keeping our bib numbers exposed for photographers.  There was only one picture at the end of the race where we are barely visable.  So here are two others.  The first is of me in the back seat of my daughter's car trying to stay out of the cold (even in California, it gets relatively cold at 5 am).  If I look a bit concerned -- I am

The next shot is about 12 hours later.  My daughter, Britannia, and are are having a celebration dinner at Gladstones in Long Beach.  The Queen Mary is in the background.  Those are our race medals we are holding up.

Next up, a 10K in the Spring.  Just no more of that Marathon stuff.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.