Author Topic: sunglasses  (Read 7573 times)

Karen

sunglasses
« on: April 01, 2007, 06:50:10 pm »
I have no feeling in my eye, plus a platenum weight.  I was wondering what other people are using for sunglasses.  I wear glasses so wraparound sunglasses which is what I would like are out.  Does anyone no where I can get prescription ones that have foam to keep out the wind and dirt?  Some that look kind of stylish!!!  I also have had the 12/7 jump and it has helped me a lot.  I also have been to Wisconsin for facial retraining with Jackie Diels.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Boppie

Re: sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:20:21 pm »
Karen, a year ago I had a pair of prescription ones made up that wrapped around like skiers wear, and that was in style.  Maybe the styles for this year are square, but they still sell ski styles with wrap around temples. 

Look in small optical stores where you get personalized services.  They're not cheap, though and the nose bridge fittings and temple length pieces are not individualized like regular glasses.

One company makes sunglasses that you can wear over prescription frames...not for petite faces.

If you could get along outdoors without correction, Walgreens has a large selection of fairly nice looking wrap arounds. 

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 07:24:36 pm »
Hi Karen:  I've read someone had posted here about a brand called Panoptx (I know the Harley Davidson store sell them ) that have the foam inside -
              I've gone to the website & they look good, cost about  $190.00 (they also have some on sale), & can do prescrition lenses for you.
              Give the site a check - I haven't gotten to the Harley Davidson store yet, so I don't know how many styles they carry.
              Panoptx site will also let you know what stores in your neighborhood sell them.
              Yesterday I was at a large shopping mall -type place & happened to walk into a sunglass store that had a pair for about $13.00 but when I tried them on
              the rubber they used around the frames didn't completely mold to my skin - I didn't get them because I figured the wind could get thru them.
              Well, you get what you pay for...    It seems other brands seem to be getting on the ball & adding rubber or foam to frames to protect from wind;
              geuss we've got to shop around.
Best wishes Karen,   Nancy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:26:49 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

maarten

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:49:16 pm »
Yep, I agree, the Panoptx sunglasses are awesome.

They are on www.panoptx.com and start at about $115 i think. Some models are more expensive, around $190. The glasses with the foam inside are amazing. They were designed for people riding motorcycles and protect the entire eye from drying out. They're really comfortable, and look very good!

Denise

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 06:20:24 am »
Karen prior to my AN surgery I owned my own motorcycle. The glasses NancyAnn is referring to are really great.  I loved them when I rode.  My were a different brand, but the same concept. After my surgery before I got prescription glasses I used them when I was out side and again they were really useful.  I wish I still had them, I'd send them to you. I gave them to the guy who bought my bike.
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33:41 am »
Well, just got a pair of sunglasses made by Harley-Davidson:  they have the foam piece around the eye frames (same as panoptx).  They work great, kept the wind out of my eye & are very comfortable.  $100.00 later, but for me well worth the investment!!   The panoptx were also nice, but I looked best with the frames I got (oh the vanity !).
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 02:15:38 pm »
I happened to be in my local motorcycle store today and checked out there sunglasses.  I found a pair of wraparounds with the padding inside.  They seem like they will be great.  And the price was even greater!  Only $20.  I may go back and get another pair with the clear lenses for nightime use in the summer.  The brand is called CurvZ. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 03:33:24 pm »
Hey Jean:  You made out like a bandit !!!!  Way to go.   I just got back from a 2 mile walk with the wind in my face & the glasses worked great !!!   Mine came with an extra set of clear lenses, so I feel a little better about the cost   lol.    We should have gotten these sooner, huh ?   Well, better late then never.  Enjoy !!!!
Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 04:18:42 pm »
I feel like we should be using wind power for our electricity with all of the wind we've gotten lately!  lol  Nancy, I'll bet your glasses are much higher quality than mine, but I'm too cheap to opt for the good ones. I did check out the website.  Looks like they even work for prescription glasses.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

stewie

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 02:47:09 pm »
Karen,
Can you tell me more about the improvements you see with the 12/7 jump. curious to know what kind of improvement that made for you. . .
Kathy
3 cm tumor
Left side
December 2005
Wisconsin

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 03:41:43 pm »
Hey Jean - not sure about the quality with the Harley-Davidson pair I bought.  I had to go back because the foam around the eyes was pushed in (from being folded in the case); so they gave me another pair,  I gently fold in the right side first so that side doesn't get smushed, now there's a little 'push' on the foam on the left side.
Sometimes higher cost means nothing.  It's real windy where I live too, you always hear the 'wooshing' of the wind because of the shape of the condo, like walking into wind gusts daily !!   Glad I've got the sunglasses now !!!!   Take care my friend,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 04:53:56 pm »
Kathy (Stewie):  I'M SORRY - I JUST SAW YOU ASKED ABOUT THE 12/7 JUMP & I MISSED IT & JUMPED RIGHT TO THE SUNGLASSES AGAIN !!!  I haven't had the 12/7 jump yet but several people have, those that had it awhile back are beginning to have movement - YEEEAAAAHHH !!!!!!  They attach the tongue nerve to the facial nerve using another nerve to connect the two.   I will probably have it done if/when my EMGs show no further progress.    The tone has come back to their faces & movement is starting;  it does take time, but since we all learn patience with this darn tumor, we handle it - can take a year or more before movement starts, then slowly gets better.
Any other questions my friend, fire away,  we're all here !!!!!
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis