Author Topic: House ear clinic for surgery?  (Read 3349 times)

Sherijoe1020

House ear clinic for surgery?
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:26:39 pm »
How long does one have to stay at house post surgery before allowed to fly home? I would prefer my surgery there but not sure if I can recover that long in CA without family.

Archer

Re: House ear clinic for surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »
Sherijoe,
They let me out of the hospital on the fourth day after my surgery.  They wanted to see me a 4 days after that for a followup and then said I could fly home.  Just my opinion, but I wish I had stayed out of the plane for another few days as I had a hard time with my ear after the flight.  Full of fluid for some reason and could hear next to nothing.  That experience may have only been me though.  Probably wouldn't happen to everyone.  In any case, I was on my way home 9 days after my surgery.  I have relatives in the LA area so the stay was convenient for me. 

Will you have anyone staying with you.  I'd have found it very hard to be on my own there for the recovery.   

Everyone at House was top notch.  You'll be in good hands.

Good luck,

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 03:13:25 pm »
I would have to ditto that it would be very difficult to be on your own anywhere for recovery.  It may even be required to have someone (whether a family member or a friend) be with you on your first few days out of the hospital.

I flew to House from across the US for my surgery.  My husband went with me, as well.  We opted to go out a few days early to sight-see and then made our return reservations for 10 days post-op.  I had translab so no hearing in my AN ear like Archer did.  Therefore, it was an uneventful return flight home physically, other than extreme weather delays which were impossible to know beforehand.  The extra hours waiting for weather to clear made for a very long day home!

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:11:48 am »
I also had surgery at House. I was released to Seton Hall I believe the 4th day after surgery. I had to stay another 3 days for my follow up appointment & for my stitches to get taken out. I then got the green flag to fly home. I flew home the following morning. I had no issues with flying but I am glad my husband was with me. It is tough to be alone. You are in great hands at House.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

kmr1969

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 06:19:41 am »
Also a House alumni.

I had surgery on Tuesday and was released from the hospital to Seton Hall on Saturday.

Was cleared to fly home the following Friday.

I don't know that you will even be allowed to stay at Seton Hall without a caregiver with you and even if they would allow it, I would not encourage it.

My wife was with me and while I had a very good recovery, her help was invaluable and I don't know that I could have done it all by myself.

If you don't have one person that can stay out there with you 2 weeks perhaps you have 2 people who could split that time and take 1 week each.

Good thing with Seton Hall is that it is cheap to stay at, clean, comfortable, and right next to the hospital and the House Clinic offices.

Good luck to you.
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »
And yet another House alumni....As you can see every person's experience is indeed unique and so it would be hard to say with absolute certainty when one can leave.  I was in the hospital for 5 days and another 5 at Seton Hall.  So you can count on at the very least a week, barring any complications. 
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston