Author Topic: CK authorization request  (Read 2133 times)

gratus

CK authorization request
« on: March 16, 2006, 03:55:52 pm »
Hello to all and thank you for this board, its information, and its inspiration.

My family doctor is about to request from my insurance CK treatment for me with Dr Chang at Stanford. This would be outside my insurance "group", so I thought I'd ask for some positive thoughts to be sent my way. Gamma Knife is within the insurance. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they immediately give CK authorization? Asking an insurance company for something so important is unnerving.

I was diagnosed in January with a 9mm AN. I still have lots of hearing on that side and no other symptoms.

Thank you again for all the help you have provided me.

Joanne

Mark

Re: CK authorization request
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 04:03:54 pm »
Joanne,

I'm not sure whose insurance you have but I know personally that both Cigna and United Health have no problem with CK. I think the bigger issue is having radiosurgery approved by some carriers. In your case, if they already approve GK I can't imagine why they wouldn't approve CK. I suspect they just are not up to date on all the various machines and GK is the more established name. Stanford ( like many of the top centers) has both GK and CK so I would be surprised if the doctor response wasn't able to convince your insurance company that they are equivalent treatments

Good luck to you

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:08:01 pm »
Hi Joanne and welcome,

Like Mark said, not sure who your insurance carrier is but mine is Blue Cross. I called the CK dept at Beth Israel to get the treatment code, then called Blue Cross.  If you provide them with the treatment code, they will be able to tell you right off of all coverage and any out of pocket you may have.  Stanford is a VERY reputable institution and I'm sure your carrier will share with  you the exact coverage. BC/BS is giving me no issues re: my upcoming CK treatments.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

gratus

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 04:32:07 pm »
Thank you for your good wishes! And thank you for trying to calm my nerves.

My insurance is Sutter Medical Group within HealthNet. I guess I should know sometime next week.

Best wishes
Joanne

shoegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 05:43:05 pm »
JoAnne,

I had no problems either - Blue Cross.  If anything they may just need some education on CK.  Good Luck - Keep my fingers crossed for you!

Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ