Author Topic: Punctal plug for tears?  (Read 3247 times)

Pembo

Punctal plug for tears?
« on: April 02, 2006, 09:51:20 am »
Does anyone have one of these? Does it increase tear production? I still use drops constantly. I would love to be back in contacts. Would this help?
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jeff

Re: Punctal plug for tears?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 12:41:58 pm »
As I understand it, the punctal plug does not increase tear production, but rather prevents the tears that are produced from draining into the nose, as they do naturally. My opthamologist tested my tear production and found that my problem eye was producing 10% of the normal amount of tears. The plug helps to keep those tears in my eye. I hope this helps.
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

luv2teachsped

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:44:42 pm »
Hello- We tried a temporary plug, but it made things worse. As Jeff said, its purpose is to keep the tears that you do have from draining. Unfortuantely, my tears were not good quality and made things worse. I started on Restasis, which I know many have had good luck with. Lady luck has something against me!  I now have pink eye and another sinus infection, so I've had to stop Restasis for the time being.  I have had nothing but medical problems since my An last May! I'm sure most of them have nothing to do with An but I am very sick of Dr.s,  Sorry to complain, but the dog just doesn't act interested in my mood! ???luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Bernadette

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:07:10 pm »
I have a plug and I hardly use drops any more. It seems to have helped, my eye was so dry and then bleary from using lacrilube. I thought I would never drive again.... So I have had the  plug for 5 months and it is fine. Bernadette

matti

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 10:54:21 pm »
Hi Bernadette,

Haven't seen you on the forum in a while. How are you doing? I saw Dr. Roberson recently, love that guy!!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Bernadette

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 07:14:21 pm »
Hi Matti, I know I hadn't been on for awhile, been slacking. Working full time and the boys are dong there sports so its back to all the running around again. I am doing good. I will be seeing  the Dr next month....Bernadette