AN Community > AN Community

Advice Please

<< < (2/4) > >>

richard:
Thank You for your responces.  I hesitate to wait (oxymoron?) because the tinnitus is getting louder and I imagine the tumor is gettinr closer to the facial nerve.  I love music.  What is listening to music like with the BAHA?  If I go translab will the tinnitus be even louder?

krbonner:

--- Quote from: richard on October 30, 2006, 09:38:13 am ---Thank You for your responces.  I hesitate to wait (oxymoron?) because the tinnitus is getting louder and I imagine the tumor is gettinr closer to the facial nerve.  I love music.  What is listening to music like with the BAHA?  If I go translab will the tinnitus be even louder?

--- End quote ---

The tinnitus is such an individual thing, it's hard to say if it will be louder for you.  Personally, the quality of mine changed but not the volume (except for a couple days immediately post-op).  It's not better or worse now - just different.  It doesn't vary anymore - I used to get all sorts of different sounds in my tinnitus and now it's just a constant drone.  Most of the time I can tune it out without difficulty.

Good luck!
Katie

Crazycat:
Richard......Yes to what Katie said. It never goes away and gets louder when you shift your eyes left to right or up and down. Most of the time it's easy to tune out though because it is so constant.

As far as music is concerned: I've been making a living playing it for the past 20 years. I love listening as I always have. It's just that, you don't hear in stereo any longer. No more left and right headphones!

Hearing sounds can be tricky because so much of what we hear is directional. Something may be coming at you on the left but you'll only hear it residually on the right side because the left side is a total blank - except for the tinnitus.

Paul

wwalker:
My surgeon went with the retrosigmoid sub-occipital approach, to try and preserve my usable hearing.  The doctor and everything I read indicated a 50/50 shot at preserving hearing with either surgery or radiosurgery.

I lost the coin toss, and am left-side deaf after the surgery.

Wayne

Dabs4811:
I urge you to get as much information as you can.  If you can find a support group in your area, go to a meeting.  If I had gone to a support meeting before surgery and/or had researched more—talked to more people—I probably would not have had the translab surgery in April 2006.  I would have chosen the "Wait and Watch" alternative.  My tumor was 7 mm, very small, and I had few symptoms.  Now, I have complete hearing loss in the right ear, constant dizziness when walking, can't taste food, and have a constant "s-s-s-s-s" sound in my AN ear.  Because every tumor is different in size and place, the residual effects after treatment differ widely from one person to another.  However, I am back to work and drive most anywhere I want to go.

I have heard wonderful things about House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles, where  Dr. Brackman does surgery.  I did not go there but wish I had considered them. Do a search on this forum for "Brackman". 

Good luck in your search -- Dee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version