AN Community > AN Community

Advice Please

(1/4) > >>

richard:
About a month ago I was diagnosed with a 1 cm acoustic neuroma on the left side.  My symptoms are tinnitus and about a 25% loss in hearing.  My doctor recommends translab which is the safest aproach but will take 100% of my hearing.  From surfing web sites it seems hearing conservation is not realistic no matter what the approach.
Is a different aproach worth the risk?  Is the BAHA worth it.  My other ear is at 100%.  I am 48 years old.

sherry6:
Hi Richard -

I had a 3 cm removed by the translab method in 2001 at the House Ear Clinic.  I also had about a 25% hearing loss.  Because of the research I did prior to surgery and speaking to my doctors, the other surgery options had side effects that made me think that I would rather choose the safest route even knowing I would end up with 100% hearing loss.  Translab is the most direct entry with the easiest access to the tumor.  Good luck! 

Boppie:
Richard, Choose the best doctor you can get to.  Yes, I was told translab was safest and most predictible.  Yes, the BAHA is worth it, especially with so much of your lifetime of work and activity remaining.  I have friends who had the BAHA bone implant done at the same time as the tumor surgery.  This is a good idea, I have been told.  The quality and volume you get from the BAHA is close to real ear sound because the implant is right in the bare bone.  I tried the BAHA test band after my surgery.  Great sound for a dead ear!  I settled for a TransEar.  Didn't want BAHA surgery.  Too, scared to go back into anesthetic.  Age factors into my fears, too.  You'll do fine.  I have no bad side effects from my Translab.

tony:
You Know 1 cm is quite small (relatively) and you do have some hearing that side
there are alternatives both surgically and radiation that may be able to
save some/most of the remaining hearing (70-90% probability)
It depends a bit on your own views regarding the possible options
- my suggestion is you obtain a couple of alternative medical opinions
at 1cm you have, maybe, 6mths or more to decide.
In the end its what you think is best for you.
Best Regards
Tony

Derek:
Hi Richard...

I agree with Tony... at 1cm your AN is relatively small and your MRI scan will have indicated if you are suitable for alternative and less invasive radiosurgery. You will note my personal AN history from my signature content and I would certainly recommend 'wait and watch' until such time that you HAVE to make the ultimate decision.

Best Regards

Derek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version