Author Topic: BAHA Questions and Transear Questions  (Read 4085 times)

Roger64

BAHA Questions and Transear Questions
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:52:56 am »
OK since the surgery I have been SSD and today my ENT has sent me home to try the BAHA demo. But, I have some questions for those you have them.

Have you had much trouble with it? Is it easy to get infections at the inplant site? Also how clear is it afterwards? Do you think it worth getting?

If any have a Transear please let me know. Have you had much trouble with it? Also how clear is it afterwards? Do you think it worth getting?  Is it an uncomforable to wear?

Thanks
Roger

lori67

Re: BAHA Questions and Transear Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 03:25:03 pm »
Hi Roger.

I have had my BAHA for just over a year now and I love it.  I found that the real thing is much clearer than the demo.  It doesn't sound quite like "normal" hearing, but it's definitely clear enough that you can hear and understand someone speaking to you on that side.

I haven't had any trouble with mine (knock on wood!).  I went to see my audiologist 6 months after I'd gotten the processor just for a routine check up and a fine tuning, but haven't had any problems.  While I'm quite sure the insides of it are quite delicate, I can tell you that more than once I've dropped the thing on the tile floor in the bathroom and it's still fine (don't try this at home).

The surgery for the implant is not a big deal - especially after AN surgery - of course not much is a big deal after that.  Wendysig just had her surgery, so if you check out her recent posts, you can see pictures of the bandage and hear about her experience.  It's done same day, either local or general anesthesia (usually your choice).  I was home in time for dinner and was at my daughter's soccer game the next day.

I've had one infection of the site and that was still pretty early on in the healing stage.  It just required some oral antibiotics and some bacitracin and it was cleared up in a few days.  Once it healed, I haven't had any problems with it - an occasional flare up, where the skin around it just feels irritated, but I have a steroid cream that I put on it at night and it's cleared up the next morning.  That seems like one of those things that happens to some but not others because I know many others here (leapyrtwins to name one) have not had any issues at all.  Guess I'm just a difficult patient!   :D  I wouldn't imagine it's any "easier" to get an infection there than it is any other surgical site.  You just have to keep it clean and follow whatever directions your doctor gives you (which seems to vary).

My opinion - yes it is worth getting.  I've never tried a Transear because I can't stand having anything in my ear, but I know people have had great results with those too.

Hope this helps!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:13:09 pm »
Hi, Roger,

I also have a BAHA -- mine is the Intenso model (since the hearing in my good ear isn't absolutely perfect), which is a bit larger and more powerful than the Divino model, and have worn it since this past June. Like Lori, I'm very happy with it. I had my implant done at the same time as my translab procedure (while I was still out cold!) so can't comment on the procedure when it's done after the fact ...  but I've yet to hear anyone disagree with Lori's assessment that it's not a big deal.

I've had no infections or any other problems with the surgical site. I recall using a bit of Neosporin on it for a day or so after the bandage was removed, but that's been it. I've never felt any itching or other irriation in the area. Daily shampooing keeps the area clean.

Wearing it has become totally second nature, and I always check my head before I step in the shower to make sure I'm not wearing it! I think of it as a "third contact lens" in terms of taking good care of it and following a good routine for putting it on and taking it off, but it's not a bit more trouble than that.

In my opinion, it's a very worthwhile device and I'm delighted to have one. I saw my first Trans-Ear at the New York-area ANA Forum lunch this past weekend. Eve (JerseyGirl) was wearing hers and it looked great! The in-the-ear portion fills the ear, but is not visible unless you're looking directly at the ear canal. The behind-the-ear portion was very un-obstrusive. Maybe Eve will see this thread and provide more information -- she's quite happy with it.

Best wishes as you make your decision!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »
Hi Roger,

I have the TransEar.  I've had it for two years now and am very happy with it.  Since I've gotten it they have made some improvements.  The new wire seems to be stronger.  I had a couple of them that broke, but they were replaced while under warranty.  There is also a newer version out that is supposed to have even better word recognition.  I find it very comfortable to wear.  Even though it's in my ear I still need to feel it to make sure it's there.  It is that comfortable.  I'm not sure, but from what I've read I think that the hearing gain is about the same as the BAHA.  It comes down to deciding what you are more comfortable with; something in your ear or something attached to your skull.  I'm glad that we have some options available to us.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Roger64

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:39:04 pm »
I can't seem to get the demo on correctly to work for me. Oh well the doctor told me I had a fat head  ;D ;D

lori67

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:38:24 pm »
Roger, I'm sure he meant that as a compliment!   :D  And to think, we actually pay these guys to call us fat heads and numbskulls! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:53:40 pm »
I absolutely love my BAHA and definitely feel it is worth getting.

I had the surgery in March 2008 and got to start wearing the processor - in my case, the Divino - in June 2008.

I have had no infections.  I have had no problems with the processor.  I can hear very clearly when I wear it.

Like, Catherine, I've found that wearing the BAHA has become second nature.  And, like Lori said, the surgery is nothing compared to AN surgery.  Nice, quick, outpatient procedure; local or general anesthesia.  Piece of cake  ;)

I didn't get to take the demo home - just tried it in my doc's office - but I was amazed by it  ;D

Oh yeah, and I'm a fathead, too!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:48 am »
Well, to illustrate just how second nature the processor is - I actually forgot to take mine off before I went to bed last night.  I didn't notice it until I got up during the night and happened to hit it while tucking my hair behind my ear on that side.

Good thing I don't sleep very well to begin with or I might be searching for it in the sheets and under the bed!

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »
Lori -

sounds like you'd better pay that insurance policy PDQ - before you damage your processor and need to collect on it  :)
Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:52:31 pm »
Hi Roger,
As Lori said, I just had my BAHA surgery last Monday and I can tell you it was a piece of cake.  I also did the BAHA demo in my doc's office and it was amazing and convinced me it was what I wanted to do.  Hearing from Jan, Lori, Tammy and a few others how easy the surgery was cemented it for me.  I am very happy I did this and can't wait until I get us use my proocessor too!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Roger64

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:20:10 pm »
Yeah I think I am going to do it. However, I want to talk to neurologist about my headaches first. I am still getting them on a regular bases so I just don't want to add another thing. Plus the baby due on the 21st so I better let that happen too. :-D

lori67

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:43 pm »
Roger,

Congratulations on the upcoming baby!   Don't worry - the BAHA will wait - the baby won't! 

Lori

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:03:50 pm »
Roger,
Congratulations on the baby -- the 21st is literally around the corner and I'm sure you and your wife are very happy and excited.  As Lori said, BAHA will wait while you deal with your headache issues and the new arrival.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Roger64

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:44:38 am »
My wife (Shelly) was ready a weeks ago! :-)

I feel bad for her she just so uncomfortable.

lori67

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 07:53:32 pm »
Tell Shelly I know how she feels !  I felt that way with all 4 of mine!  9 months is entirely too long! 

Tell her to hang in there - she's in the home stretch now!

Lori