Author Topic: Post-ops with SSD - any tips for first time long drives / loud environments?  (Read 3497 times)

areles

hi, all.  son is five weeks post op and has for six months had plans to go to vegas this weekend for his girlfriend's 21st (with her parents, so shouldn't be TOO wild), and insists upon going.  doc cleared him, albeit with instructions to take it easy and know his limits.

i'm concerned about the long drive, and the noisy environment.  he should be okay with the former (though we're both aware trying to hear people talk through road noise from the back of a van is going to be trying for him), but we also both know the latter is REALLY going to trouble him.  does anyone have any tips for reducing the overwhelming environment/excessive stimuli?  i was thinking about sending him with a foam earplug or two so he can use it in a (potentially useless) attempt to muffle all the sound pulsating into that one ear,  but it occurred to me that others might have a few tricks that i'd never think of.

any thoughts/advice/personal experiences?

i'm obviously not thrilled by the notion of this trip, and i suspect he'd likewise be happy if it was announced it wasn't happening, but his girlfriend has REALLY been supportive, she came with US to vegas for HIS 21st two years ago, it's been planned since long before we knew about the AN, he's otherwise doing relatively well, and most of all, he  could use a 'normal life' experience after being locked down for a month and a half, so it is what it is and we're hoping to mitigate things as much as possible, even if only a little.

thanks in advance!
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Hi areles .....

My suggestion is not possible to accomplish before this week-end, but here goes.  Shortly after my first AN surgery, when I became aware of my hypersensitivity to noises, I talked with my audiologist about suggestions.  She suggested and made the mold for a custom made musicians' earplug.  See:  http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html for the brand I have.  I use it whenever I am going to be in a potentially noisy situation (movies, concerts, etc.).  In fact, because I have a Ponto (bone-anchored hearing device), I also use it (obviously in my only hearing ear) when riding in the car to soften the road noise so I can hear conversation in the car.

I know that is not much help for this soon, but definitely something to look into for the future.  Foam earplugs are probably the next best thing at the moment.

As for making the trip, I think it is very important that he regain a certain degree of normalcy in his life for his mental health.  If he feels physically up for it, he should go.  Hopefully he will be able to have a place to rest if things/noises become overwhelming ..... or the fatigue from the strain to hear hits him.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Six months after my surgery, my wife and I drove from Richmond, VA to Maine. It was not particularly difficult. I took it easy (I did the great bulk of the driving) and we had a good time.

The secret to noisy environments is to take frequent breaks from them. Six years later, I still have to do that myself, even at high-level receptions. It's what you do.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

alabamajane

I agree with all that has been said. I think the foam earplugs will be his best friend in all that noise. I use them everyday  for EVERYTHING noisy,,, even the hair dryer, lawn mower,  anything loud. He needs to remember that he only has one "hearing " ear now and doesn't want to damage it in any way.

I think he will get fatigued very quickly with all the stimuli of lights, noise and people. I hope he will have a room to rest in. If he yields to the fatigue and lays down frequently,, he should have a good time. After all,, the Dr said it was fine,, medically,,,,, if it's just for one day,, he can rest when he gets home,,, expect him to "crash " when he returns. But then,, he is young  :o,,, so may make it just fine,,,, hope he has fun,, he deserves it after all he has been through!!

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

caryawilson

If he wants to go, let him go. He'll have a great time. Personally I was never worried about a noisy environment or driving.  Don't get me wrong. SSD sucks at time. He's a young kid and the best way to get used to these situations is to be exposed to them.I would think fatigue would be an issue. However, if the brain gets tired, your son will slow down. Hard to fight it, so don't worry.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

alabamajane

Just curious Areles,, how did your son enjoy his weekend?? Hope it went well and that he is recovering quickly.
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26