Author Topic: Facial Paralysis??  (Read 23404 times)

DeniseSmith

Re: Facial Paralysis??
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2006, 06:29:33 am »
Jacobs,

I get the "you look great" comment from my coworkers. It used to really bother me, but I recently saw some pictures that my sister took after my surgery when I was in rehab and you know what,  I sure look better than a year ago. Some of these people came to the hospital right after my surgery, so they now i think maybe they are right.  :P   Try not to get down on yourself,  we look different and I guess we need to get used to that.  I know it's hard believe me I still have a pity party at least once a week.  But I am sure we will get through this, we have to!  8) 

I am here for you if you need to talk.  You can email me at smithdl3@hotmail.com if you want.

Denise

amymeri

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2006, 06:17:54 pm »
Hi Everyone:

I am new.  I had a 4cm schwannoma removed April 13th which makes me about 8 weeks out.  I had excellent nerve conduction before, during and after my surgery and while the tumor was surrounding the facial nerve, it apparently peeled off easily.  Unfortunately, 3 days after surgery I developed right sided facial paralysis that continues unabated.

I have better symmetry and I can slowly close my right eye about 3/4-7/8 of the way and can now close my lips and sometimes not drool out the side when I swish after brushing but mostly I am pretty paralyzed.  I have no cheek, eyebrow, mouth movement or basically ANY voluntary movement as well as severe dryness and some double vision and facial numbness (trigeminal root 2)

I am soooooo discouraged to hear that this may never heal or may take a year or more.  I was feeling normal before the surgery and now I am deaf and paralyzed and have some balance issues.

Does anyone get better?  Does the state of your nerve  matter in the recovery (barring it being cut)?

Sorry to be such a downer...I guess I am just having a bad day.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Jeanlea

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2006, 07:36:58 pm »
Amymeri,

Welcome to this very selective club.  I had a 3.5 tumor removed in September 05.  Mine was very "sticky" and wrapped up in the facial nerve.  I woke up from surgery with facial paralysis and numbness.  I didn't get any movement until 3 months post-surgery.  Now I have very limited movement. My face looks symmetrical when it's at rest.  I think more and more of it is coming back, but it is very SLOW.  Nerves are slow growing.  You may want to search on here or elsewhere for information on facial paralysis that does not start right after surgery.  I think the chances of that kind coming back are better.

I know it can be discouraging.  I was also in good shape and not noticing any problems before surgery.  You do learn to adapt though.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope that you show improvements.  It's a study in patience.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

DeniseSmith

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 06:55:32 am »
Amymeri,

My drs. said your nerve regenerates itself about 1 inch per month, and the nerve is about 7 inches long.  It is a slow recovery.  I emphasize the word slow.  I wish you the best in your recovery. You have to be patient.  I am not that patient of a person, so this first year has gone by extremely slow. 

I am finally starting to come to terms with how my whole AN surgery went down, and I still have issues with balance etc...., but I cannot change the fact I didn't go in when I was having dizziness issues and headaches and hearing loss,  I wish i had maybe then I wouldn't be at this point in my life, but as they say sh** happens and you have to make the best of your situation.  I don't have all the answers. What I do have is the support of my family, support of my friends both in MN and on this message board, and other than wanting to look like before, I really can't ask for more.

I am very hopeful for you that your nerve will regenerate.  Your's was not severed and that in itself is a HUGE deal.  My was severed, and my paralysis is permanent.

I sincerely wish you  a fast recovery, and hope you have a great summer!

Denise

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2006, 12:19:48 pm »
Amymeri,
 I just wanted to say that its okay to have bad days and its okay to vent about it. What we all have been through is very traumatizing. Of course we will have days when we feel mad,sad,scared....on and on. I think the main thing is though, do not give up hope! My face was fine for about two hours post-op, then all of the sudden it felt like it was melting away. Upon leaving the hospital I was a House-Brackmann 6...at six months I was at 2-3. Today I am a solid 2. My eye is still the worst but I will deal with that and be grateful that I have my life.
I am not sure if you saw my follow-up post or not but I am now experiencing a re-growth. I am in "wait and watch" mode. I have to admit...the thought of fighting my way back through facial paralysis again is one of the scariest parts. I have been on that emotional roller coaster again since I was told two weeks ago. I know I have the "tools" required to handle this and I believe all who have been through it have those tools also. Sometimes we just have to dig deeper into the bag to find the right ones.
Hope this helped a little.                                     Much love and Hugz, Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.